DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reliant Flight Qualification -- Incomplete! Mini-1

Chaosrider

Reactions
I got her out to 2000 ft with no degradation in RC control signal or video quality, so that part's done.

However, when I was trying to do the 1000 ft ATL test, I got the "Strong Wind" warning. I actually cancelled that a couple of times, which is not my normal custom. But eventually I just came home, and flew around close-in for a while.

The Mini-1 is not a "Windless Wonder"! That is a myth!

Not Mini-2 wind resistant, but fine for most applications. The wind stubbornly refused to gust high after I brought her back close enough to see the green anemometer, but that time will come. Here, it's almost unavoidable.

Today turned out a lot better than I expected. From the forecast, today looked like a "no fly" day, but I was able to get both this flight and a Mini-2 flight in.

With the distance check passed, I'll do the altitude check from the rear flight deck. In about a week, if the current forecast holds.

MM

What is ATL, what is a mini-1, what is the "green anemometer"?
I suggest that you would be better served to stick to normal naming conventions rather than make up your own. You may understand them but others may not.
I would guess Mini-1 means the Mavic Mini but it is a guess, I have no idea what you mean by "ATL" or "green anemometer".
Also bear in mind that English is not the first language of some of the poster's here so they may not understand your word play, as my Dad used to say "call a spade a spade, a spade differs from a shovel".
If you are seeking answers to questions or solutions to problems and, because you use your own naming schemes, people misunderstand what you are asking or talking about, you may get the wrong answers.
The reliable range of control of a drone varies with the area and environment, I have seen a Mavic Mini, CE version, go out to a distance of 2400m+ without loss of signal, yet I have lost signal at 400m in another area when the same drone can, elsewhere, go to the limit of my VLOS (600m) without the slightest problem.
I have also lost signal with a Mavic Mini directly over head but at height (under 400ft) and that is with the controller antennae correctly orientated.

Last edited:
@Chaosrider this might help you 👍

Reactions: RMS001
He doesn't seem to care what others think of his made-up acronyms, uses them in almost every post. I figured out ATO but have no idea about ATL Also seems to think that everybody knows the names of his drones... I'm 'assuming' Reliant is the name of one of them?

What is ATL
ATL = Above Takeoff Level. I had originally proposed ATO = Above Take OFF, but an OP pointed out that ATL would be most consistent with AGL and MSL. I agreed.
what is a mini-1
Mini-1 = Mini. There are three different Minis now, so I find it useful to clarify the original name to Mini-1.
what is the "green anemometer"
An anemometer is a device used for measuring wind speed and direction.

My green anemometer is a pine tree next to my driveway, which waves around in the wind.

I actually live in a sea of green anemometers!

:cool:
I suggest that you would be better served to stick to normal naming conventions rather than make up your own. You may understand them but others may not.
That's not been my experience in life. Generally, if there's an accepted term for something, I use it, but not always.

I believe in continuous improvement!

;-)
Also bear in mind that English is not the first language of some of the poster's here so they may not understand your word play
Yes, I understand that. I accept the fact that my witty wordisms won't be particularly witty, or even comprehensible, for some people.
If you are seeking answers to questions or solutions to problems and, because you use your own naming schemes, people misunderstand what you are asking or talking about, you may get the wrong answers.
That hasn't been a big problem so far.

The reliable range of control of a drone varies with the area and environment,
Yes. I've done all my flying from one of two places, but the reliability is different in different directions.

Thx,

MM

I'll check this out, thx!

MM

Reactions: RMS001 and dirkclod
It just occurred to me.
ATL = Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson airport identifier :D I knew that sounded familiar.
or
ATL = Above The Landong.spot?

He doesn't seem to care what others think of his made-up acronyms, uses them in almost every post. I figured out ATO but have no idea about ATL Also seems to think that everybody knows the names of his drones... I'm 'assuming' Reliant is the name of one of them?
I care that, for the most part, they are understood. And I'm not wedded to them. An OP suggested that ATL would be better that ATO as a handle for elevation above the take-off point, which is the only elevation you actually see in flight. After thinking about it overnight, I concurred, and I started using ATL rather than my draft acronym, ATO.

As a rule I make very few assumptions about what other people know. Yes, Reliant is the name of my newly acquired used Mini-1.

Thx,

MM

As an alternate view, I haven't had any real difficulty noodling out what @Chaosrider's talking about, if I can't I simply ask.

I find his rhetoric charming, and for me brings some happy nostalgia about starting out with my first, a P3, 8 years ago.

Reactions: umanbean
As an alternate view, I haven't had any real difficulty noodling out what @Chaosrider's talking about, if I can't I simply ask.

I find his rhetoric charming, and for me brings some happy nostalgia about starting out with my first, a P3, 8 years ago.
Well, I only intend to be comprehensible to the Chosen Ones...

;-)

Asking when you don't understand something...what a concept! I do the same thing. Weird, huh?

I generally try be playful rather than serious whenever I get the opportunity.

1649959099681.png

MM (aka Calvin)

I didn't say his posts weren't 'charming', I simply pointed out the fact that no one knows what ATL meant until he explained it later, and no one knows the names of his many Mini's

Last edited:
I didn't say his posts weren't 'charming', I simply pointed out the fact that no one knows what ATL meant until he explained it later, and no one knows the names of his many Mini's
Not criticizing your perspective, just have a different one.

What bothered you enough to post about doesn't bother me at all, so I don't notice it.

And to drive the point home, we're both right 😁

Not criticizing your perspective, just have a different one.

What bothered you enough to post about doesn't bother me at all, so I don't notice it.

And to drive the point home, we're both right 😁
Good thing 👍

Me too... lotsa folks don't 'get' a dry wit
No one cares 🤷‍♂️
But all will follow our guidelines or just not be-able to post.
Some just don’t get it.

I know what an ATM is!

It's where I go to get money if I run out while buying drone stuff!

1649964769558.png

Calvin

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: umanbean
I generally try be playful rather than serious whenever I get the opportunity.
The issue is that usually doesn't carry across short written text, so on forums your "playful" is read as "intended to be serious but is unintelligible", people assume you need help and there's a question there but can't figure it out, and get frustrated/angry trying to figure out what you meant.

Reactions: dirkclod

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d