DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote Controller

Rich55

Reactions
I am waiting on a response from DJI about repairing my remote. DJI informed me the remote is not covered under the DJI REFRESH warranty. Took the remote out of my case and the 5 D button is laying in the bottom of the bag. I am not 100% sure if it broke off or fell off. This remote is less than 6 months old and only slightly used compared to my camera gear. Is this a common problem or a weak point.

Attachments

• A2672188-0918-43C5-9DAC-BA5A99DFA45B.jpeg
    A2672188-0918-43C5-9DAC-BA5A99DFA45B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
Is the 5D button damaged? If not, you should be able to push it back on. Maybe add a dab of glue to prevent it from falling off again.

Your controller is covered under warranty, and I would push DJI to repair it. It might not be a Refresh case. File an online warranty claim. You have nothing to lose.

You can try to push it back on, but whether or not it stays depends on whether there is enough of the white mast inside the controller for the button to stay.

The 5d button is a commonly damaged item. Usually when they break off after warranty, I have to replace the whole internal board because they crack off at the bottom of the mast.

If you do decide to try to repair it yourself, I would not use glue. The 5d button is made to move around, and also detaches when the controller needs maintenance. If you use glue, some random glue might get into the pot, and it will never move again. Also, if you permanently affix it, you will have to break it off to remove the cover if the controller ever has a more serious problem.

If all else fails, and you want a controller with a 5d button, I can take yours as a trade-in and send you a used one for not too much money.

Is the 5D button damaged? If not, you should be able to push it back on. Maybe add a dab of glue to prevent it from falling off again.
I really can't tell if it broke off or fell off. I have tried several times to push it back on and I can get it to slip on the stub but it does not come close to set flush with the led screen. I will search the internet for a picture of the remote to see the 5D button. I can't remember how the button sets, never noticed how it set till it came off.

Your controller is covered under warranty, and I would push DJI to repair it. It might not be a Refresh case. File an online warranty claim. You have nothing to lose.

You can try to push it back on, but whether or not it stays depends on whether there is enough of the white mast inside the controller for the button to stay.

The 5d button is a commonly damaged item. Usually when they break off after warranty, I have to replace the whole internal board because they crack off at the bottom of the mast.

If you do decide to try to repair it yourself, I would not use glue. The 5d button is made to move around, and also detaches when the controller needs maintenance. If you use glue, some random glue might get into the pot, and it will never move again. Also, if you permanently affix it, you will have to break it off to remove the cover if the controller ever has a more serious problem.

If all else fails, and you want a controller with a 5d button, I can take yours as a trade-in and send you a used one for not too much money.

Thanks, Rob, for the info I was hoping you would see this post and give me the low down. I was surprised when the call center said the controller is not covered on the Refresh program. I figured this was a common occurrence. If I can't get DJI to repair or replace I will take you up on the offer. No joke the controller has very little outside flying time. Heck, I have never taken the protective film off the LCD screen, I am weird like that. :)

I will push DJI next week they gave me a small parts case number. I will update the thread once I have heard from DJI.

Reactions: Former Member
I have tried several times to push it back on and I can get it to slip on the stub but it does not come close to set flush with the led screen.
Are you sure you have the square hole in the bottom of the button lined up properly?

I really can't tell if it broke off or fell off. I have tried several times to push it back on and I can get it to slip on the stub but it does not come close to set flush with the led screen. I will search the internet for a picture of the remote to see the 5D button. I can't remember how the button sets, never noticed how it set till it came off.
If it's any help, I've attached a pic' of my controller ... The 5D button stands above the surface of the controller, and if you look at it sideways, there is a gap of about 1mm between the underside of the 'mushroom' and the surface of the controller i.e. it is NOT flush with the LCD!!!
5Dbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich55
Are you sure you have the square hole in the bottom of the button lined up properly?

Although I have tried to get a feel for the nub inside the controller with the button I do not feel or think I have. I am going to leave it be till DJI gives me a response. It is still under the one year warranty on the controller.

Thanks

Reactions: Former Member
If it's any help, I've attached a pic' of my controller ... The 5D button stands above the surface of the controller, and if you look at it sideways, there is a gap of about 1mm between the underside of the 'mushroom' and the surface of the controller i.e. it is NOT flush with the LCD!!!
View attachment 54728
Thanks that does help. I will try to slip mine back on and compare.

Thanks that does help. I will try to slip mine back on and compare.

Mine appears to be sticking up little more than 1mm and I did press with considerable downforce. I can use it as is but now that I know how easy it can come off I really want DJI or someone familiar with repair to check out the button. Thanks again FoxhallGH for the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5137.jpg
    IMG_5137.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 29
Thats not all the way snapped on/in. Somethings up.

That button will get caught on something and be pulled off again is what I suspect. Mine sits at the same height as FoxhallGH'es

Thats not all the way snapped on/in. Somethings up.

That button will get caught on something and be pulled off again is what I suspect. Mine sits at the same height as FoxhallGH'es
I agree with you, waiting on DJI for their response. DJI created a small parts claim this past Friday.
Thanks

I am waiting on a response from DJI about repairing my remote. DJI informed me the remote is not covered under the DJI REFRESH warranty. Took the remote out of my case and the 5 D button is laying in the bottom of the bag. I am not 100% sure if it broke off or fell off. This remote is less than 6 months old and only slightly used compared to my camera gear. Is this a common problem or a weak point.
UPS notified me I had a package coming from DJI. I had not heard from DJI since they created a trouble ticket. The package came today inside was a button for the RC. It may have a slightly deeper hole otherwise it looks just like the button that came off. I have put the new button on the RC with the same results. I will contact DJI Monday to see if they will agree to send me new RC under warranty. I have taken several Iphone photos to see if I can tell a difference between the two buttons mounted on the RC I really can't. I guess I could use my DSL and take photos import to Lightroom and do a side by side comparison. Good grief I understand DJI trying to save money sure miss the good old days of walking into a store for help. Those days seem so long ago. Will update after I talk to DJI Monday.

It feels like you're trying to get them to repair it without sending it in. If you start a repair ticket and send it to them, I'm almost sure they'll fix it for free. I dropped my Crystalsky and they fixed it free of charge. If they did charge you, it would probably be only a few bucks.

It feels like you're trying to get them to repair it without sending it in. If you start a repair ticket and send it to them, I'm almost sure they'll fix it for free. I dropped my Crystalsky and they fixed it free of charge. If they did charge you, it would probably be only a few bucks.
No sir, for me DJI phone support is hard to understand. I explained what was wrong they asked for photo I sent photo. She then explained she would start a small parts claim. She informed the refresh program does not cover RC but since the RC and drone were bought July 2018 it would be covered under standard warranty. Monday I will insist the RC should be sent in for repair. Will update Monday.

Unrelated info I have already destroyed one Mavic Pro Platinum and it was replaced by the refresh insurance. I also purchased the additional year and additional replacement extension couple weeks ago.

Not sure what lead you to that conclusion but hope this clears up the matter for you.

No sir, for me DJI phone support is hard to understand. I explained what was wrong they asked for photo I sent photo. She then explained she would start a small parts claim. She informed the refresh program does not cover RC but since the RC and drone were bought July 2018 it would be covered under standard warranty. Monday I will insist the RC should be sent in for repair. Will update Monday.

Unrelated info I have already destroyed one Mavic Pro Platinum and it was replaced by the refresh insurance. I also purchased the additional year and additional replacement extension couple weeks ago.

Not sure what lead you to that conclusion but hope this clears up the matter for you.

No that's not what I meant. Care Refresh does not cover remotes, for sure. I'm surprised they didn't ist have you send it in. There seems to be a communications problem. Under warranty, they would have you send the entire remote to them for repair. Them offering to send you parts sounds like a way for you to not do that. I'm not sure why DJI would choose that path unless you intimated that you'd rather repair it yourself or that you didn't want to send it in. That's all. Good luck.

I had backed over my M2 in the flymore case which was replaced under refresh. With that the remote antenna was broken. They only charged me $2 for a refurbished remote. They listed it as a repair though.

Point being, like others said, send it in, they may fix or replace it for nearly nothing, if not under warranty.

Reactions: Rich55
Lon thanks for the advice, I responded to DJI email that was generated on my initial request not expecting a response till Monday. DJI just sent me an email advising to submit an online repair request. I submitted an online repair request got a free shipping label, RC is boxed up and will be dropped off Monday morning. I can sometimes be a bit slow learning the system. :)

Lon thanks for the advice, I responded to DJI email that was generated on my initial request not expecting a response till Monday. DJI just sent me an email advising to submit an online repair request. I submitted an online repair request got a free shipping label, RC is boxed up and will be dropped off Monday morning. I can sometimes be a bit slow learning the system. :)

No problem. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot