DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

remove the berometer and have unlimited altitude?

alexjo55

Reactions
Of what i understand, the mini 3 use a bareometer to know the height from take of point.

If i remove it, would the drone work, and would i be able to fly past the 500m limit?
I know it also has a GPS, but i was told it dont use GPS to know the altitude.

lololo. No.
There are other creative approaches that you might find but nothing for the Mini 3 at this time.
Edited an Updated.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Of what i understand, the mini 3 use a bareometer to know the height from take of point.

If i remove it, would the drone work, and would i be able to fly past the 500m limit?
You probably couldn't remove the barometric sensor on its own.
If you were to interfere with the IMU which contains the barometric sensor, your drone would be unflyable.
You'd see messages like this when you tried to start.
i-fcNCgVk-M.jpg

I know it also has a GPS, but i was told it dont use GPS to know the altitude.
Just, curious why would you want to break the 500m ceiling? There is a way to do it if the drone is climbing a hill, land and restart the motors, but that carries its own set of risks. The drone may not restart its motor if its propellers are blocked by anything .e.g. vegitation, or the angle of tilt is too great and I think I recollect reading that the Mini 3 is particularly sensitive to tilt at motor start, add to that that the homeport will be reset to the new launch site.

Are you aware that there are legal limits to how high the drone can be above the ground or perhaps the maximum distance from the ground?
This looks like a good, general summary for Sweden.

Another consideration should be the flight time and power usage to climb to and descend from, 500m+ .
At least one drone, an Air 2S, has been lost because the pilot went extremely high, 8,600ft+, a problem that limited the drone's descent speed. Despite the drone complying with its own "forced landing" programming the drone, because of the limited descent rate, ran out of battery in mid air and was 'lost'. I think it ran out of battery at height of around 600ft.
Are you aware that there are battery charge levels at which the drone's programming will cause the drone to descend and these thresholds are variable i.e. they change with the drone's height relative to the take off point?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony Ivory
Just, curious why would you want to break the 500m ceiling? There is a way to do it if the drone is climbing a hill, land and restart the motors, but that carries its own set of risks.
Are you aware that there are legal limits to how high the drone can be above the ground or perhaps the maximum distance from the ground?
This looks like a good, general summary for Sweden.

Another consideration should be the flight time and power usage to climb to and descend from 500m+ .
At least one drone, an Air 2S flown, has been lost because the pilot went extremely high, 8,600ft+, and there was a problem that limited the drone's descent speed. Despite the drone complying with its own "forced landing" programming the drone, because of the limited descent rate, ran out of battery in mid air and was lost
Are you aware that there are battery charge levels at which the drone's programming will cause the drone to descend and these thresholds are variable i.e. they change with the drone's height relative to the take off point?
So if im at sea level, and i have a mountain that i 500m high about 1 km away from me.

If i fly 500m up and then lands on it so the motors stops, and the start the motors again, will i be able to go additional 500m up?
So 1000m in total.

So if im at sea level, and i have a mountain that i 500m high about 1 km away from me.

If i fly 500m up and then lands on it so the motors stops, and the start the motors again, will i be able to go additional 500m up?
So 1000m in total.
What could possibly go wrong?
That sounds like a good way to lose your drone.

So 1000m in total.
Correct but the landing is a risky procedure, plus you would be sending the drone up into manned aircraft air space which is dangerous.
I would add that there is an additional risk, if the drone has managed to land but the control signal is blocked you will not be able to restart the motors.
Would I attempt a deliberate remote landing in the wilds for this purpose, no! Would I attempt a remote landing anywhere ? Only in an emergency.
I would also suggest you comply with the legal height limits, breaking them runs the risk of endangering not only life but our 'hobby'.
You'd do better to climb the mountain yourself, launch from its top, stay within the allotted AGL and fly down the mountain.

Last edited:

So 1000m in total.
1) It's illegal to fly above 400' (120m) in Sweden.
2) 1km distance is well beyond VLOS for almost all drones, and again, illegal.

I understand that you are looking to climb up a mountain slope, but, be aware of how high you go and how far.

Personally, I think any questions or discussion on how to circumvent drone laws should be forbidden in the forums, but not my circus as they say.

Reactions: Ridefreak
Personally, I think any questions or discussion on how to circumvent drone laws should be forbidden in the forums, but not my circus as they say.
But then we would lose the opportunity to hopefully educate people. In the past I have been slapped down for bluntly saying its illegal etc. so I tried a different tack in this thread.

Reactions: ranida2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh