DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacement Remote?

Ramacher

Reactions
I damaged my remote. Got sea water in it, 100% my fault. I opened it up and cleaned everything with electric/contact cleaner but when I turn it on it's just constantly beeping. I've tried re-pairing it with the mini (which seems to be successful because it's a different beep pattern then what happens when I turn it on) and updating the firmware via the Assistant app on the computer but no go. The DJI Fly App won't even detect the remote.

I have the Care Refresh and the State Farm PAP but want to know the price of a replacement Remote before I decide if I want to use those options.

Did you remove the battery from your remote? You really should not have tried, or continued to try, running the thing. Leave it off, then get the batteries disconnected or out. That should be done immediately or at least ASAP.

Then rinse the remote (i.e. dunk it) in distilled water, flush, repeat, then dry. This is important as it removes the salt and impurities left behind on circuit boards, connectors and components. ANY salt or most other impurities will allow moisture to conduct and cause corrosion.

To dry, best to have device open. You can put it in a bag with dry rice, which will act as a desiccant, or with oven on low and door open, cover door with a towel and place open device on towel. Check to make sure it only gets warm. Forced air registers, blowing fans etc, can help speed drying. Time is your friend, don't turn it on until you are very sure it's dried out.

Reactions: DuffMog
Did you remove the battery from your remote? You really should not have tried, or continued to try, running the thing. Leave it off, then get the batteries disconnected or out. That should be done immediately or at least ASAP.

Then rinse the remote (i.e. dunk it) in distilled water, flush, repeat, then dry. This is important as it removes the salt and impurities left behind on circuit boards, connectors and components. ANY salt or most other impurities will allow moisture to conduct and cause corrosion.

To dry, best to have device open. You can put it in a bag with dry rice, which will act as a desiccant, or with oven on low and door open, cover door with a towel and place open device on towel. Check to make sure it only gets warm. Forced air registers, blowing fans etc, can help speed drying. Time is your friend, don't turn it on until you are very sure it's dried out.

I was on vacation and didn't have any tools to open it when it got wet. I got them the next day, opened it up and sprayed everything with electronic contact cleaner and scraped off all the corrosion I could find. Still constantly beeping when powered on. Before .0400 firmware came out I could downgrade and upgrade the remote's firmware via the PC but now trying to upgrade to .0400 and it's giving me an error. Trying to decide if I should use my first DJI Care Refresh exchange for $40 or use State Farm's PAP where they'll cut me a check for a full replacement.

Starting to appear on eBay now due to posts / trashed drones

I found one for around $75 and then one seller sells them new for $100. My decision is now whether to use my State Farm PAP for full cost (no deductible but it's only one time use) then I can buy another remote and have 2 functional minis. Or just go with the care refresh for $40 but I'd have to mail in my working drone AND damaged remote for a replacement. I'm leaning towards using the DJI Refresh and save the State Farm PAP in case I have an incident where the drone itself isn't recoverable.

Edit: Turns out the remote controller is not covered by DJI Care Refresh:
1578462404757.png

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki