DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Return To Home Function Did Not Work After RC Signal Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a new user I am picking up so really good tips here for pre flight checks, just trying to avoid any pit falls. Is the general consensus to disable obstacle avoidance on the RTH setting?

It's my recommendation. I have no idea about consensus. Settings have to fit your area.

I never mentioned trees. The altitudes in GE are supposed to be ground level per survey data.
im sorry i read your post wrong. Im not saying i physically hit that antenna, im saying right where i lost signal was above this 20 foot antenna attached to one of the trees. and a couple ppl have mentioned that if a ham radio was using the same frequency it could take out my mavic. its also been said that its unlikely, but its still a weird coincidence that i lost signal right while i was above a huge antenna.

im sorry i read your post wrong. Im not saying i physically hit that antenna, im saying right where i lost signal was above this 20 foot antenna attached to one of the trees. and a couple ppl have mentioned that if a ham radio was using the same frequency it could take out my mavic. its also been said that its unlikely, but its still a weird coincidence that i lost signal right while i was above a huge antenna.

I guess I read your post wrong too - I thought you meant a 20' tall mast from the ground. Sorry too! Ham's usually operate at very low freq's compared to 2.4 GHz so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

My experience with DJI repair is 6 weeks from start to finish and there is no hurrying them. I ended up buying a second Mavic because that only took 3 days.

My experience with DJI repair is 6 weeks from start to finish and there is no hurrying them. I ended up buying a second Mavic because that only took 3 days.

I seem to be on sched for 6 weeks. :( I too punished them by ordering another drone (P4P).

Good way for them to burn warranty and Care Refresh time too. Will be writing a rather stiff letter in that regard to them.

The whole "no fly zone" was only one of your problems. You committed at least 5 major nono's (both in the eyes of the FAA and anyone with common sense). Any one of those infractions could have led to someone or something getting injured or damaged. These incidents will undoubtedly lead to harsher, more strict rules for EVERYONE in the drone community. It goes beyond you and the drone you lost from flying irresponsibly. THAT was the point of my post.
upload_2017-4-8_14-15-27.png

Reference my location with my flights logs

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-8_14-15-0.png
    upload_2017-4-8_14-15-0.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 29
I don't have a computer right now so I can't use DJI assistant 2, and have a very expensive trip planned for the whole month of May and we all know the reliability of DJI customer service, but you want me to waste precious time getting a log so people on here who don't believe me and all the

When you send a Mavic to DJI without extracting the Logs it's pretty much game over as far as what the verdict will be and who will pay for the damages. DJI can say anything they want and it may be the truth based on their quick inspection. I can guarantee you they are not spending an hour looking at a Logs trying to dig down and find the root cause like people do on this forum.

Always keep in mind that when a Drone crashes your only defense against an unfavorable verdict by DJI are the Logs. Give the only copy of the Logs to DJI and your completely at their mercy. If you present a copy on the forum and we find a cause that is not pilot error you can present that argument and they will have a hard time disputing data coming from logs that are created by their own machine.

You should also keep in mind that when you decide to go to a forum and ask for help you do have a moral obligation to help those that are trying to help you. Your statement indicates that your worried that people who do not believe you are going to judge you based on the logs. The logs are the logs, no one can manipulate the source data and the info presented on the forum could only be manipulated if there is some kind of mass conspiracy from all of the people who are looking at them.

Lastly when you do this kind of thing it just makes it worst for the next person that comes asking for help. In the future that next person may be you and if you think changing your user name is going to make a difference, it will not. There is already a bit of frustration with these kinds of posts and this just adds to it. Who knows in 6 months they may be completely ignored because of cases like this.

Rob

Last edited:
You should also keep in mind that when you decide to go to a forum and ask for help you do have a moral obligation to help those that are trying to help you. Your statement indicates that your worried that people who do not believe you are going to judge you based on the logs. The logs are the logs, no one can manipulate the source data and the info presented on the forum could only be manipulated if there is some kind of mass conspiracy from all of the people who are looking at them.

Lastly when you do this kind of thing it just makes it worst for the next person that comes asking for help. In the future that next person may be you and if you think changing your user name is going to make a difference, it will not. There is already a bit of frustration with these kinds of posts and this just adds to it. Who knows in 6 months they may be completely ignored because of cases like this.

Rob

Rob, I really believe you should condense that into a code of conduct for both those seeking help and those offering it. When I look at logs I'm only interested in what happened and why - there's a lot of self preserving interest in that!

Please write a posting that we can link to for every case where someone comes a cryin'!

If someone makes a mistake it should be pointed out and qualified as to certainty and/or alternative conclusions. Certainly msinger does that, Cyberpower, and others. I do. I'm not looking to **** all over someone - I am looking to find the chain of errors and try to figure what would or could have prevented it. I've learned a lot from this forum and I intend to learn more and pass on what I've learned as well. It makes things safer, easier and cheaper in the long run.

When you send a Mavic to DJI without extracting the Logs it's pretty much game over as far as what the verdict will be and who will pay for the damages. DJI can say anything they want and it may be the truth based on their quick inspection. I can guarantee you they are not spending an hour looking at a Logs trying to dig down and find the root cause like people do on this forum.

Always keep in mind that when a Drone crashes your only defense against an unfavorable verdict by DJI are the Logs. Give the only copy of the Logs to DJI and your completely at their mercy. If you present a copy on the forum and we find a cause that is not pilot error you can present that argument and they will have a hard time disputing data coming from logs that are created by their own machine.

Rob

I have DJI refresh and dont want to go through the effort of arguing with the disastrous dji customer service and would much rather just pay the $79 to get it over with. also as i have stated, i have an upcoming trip to indonesia on april 31st. THE ENTIRE REASON I DID NOT POST THE LOGS ON HERE IS BECAUSE I HAVE AN UPCOMING TRIP TO INDONESIA WHICH I ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THE DRONE FOR. Now lets do the math. I sent it in April 6th. its on its way to dji now. if the usual turn around time is 3-4 weeks at best, sending it in april 6th and hoping for it to be back by april 31st is cutting it very close. I do not have a computer here in tahoe because I came here to snowboard and do not have much of a reason for a computer until now. i have a work computer but am not allowed to download software onto it without an administrators password. it would have taken me a day or maybe a couple of days to get a computer that someone was willing to let me download software onto. Those couple of days could possibly mean i dont get my drone for my trip which is why i spent $1000+ dollars on it. I am very thankful for the help from the people who actually commented on this thread to actually help me, but i am very sorry that i wasnt willing to heighten the risk that i wouldnt get my drone that i spent $1000 on back in time for the exact trip i bought it for. this thread has turned into a dark hole of complaints after i have already explained myself so many times

Last edited:
I have DJI refresh and dont want to go through the effort of arguing with the disastrous dji customer service and would much rather just pay the $79 to get it over with. also as i have stated, i have an upcoming trip to indonesia on april 31st. THE ENTIRE REASON I DID NOT POST THE LOGS ON HERE IS BECAUSE I HAVE AN UPCOMING TRIP TO INDONESIA WHICH I ORIGINALLY BOUGHT THE DRONE FOR. Now lets do the math. I sent it in April 6th. its on its way to dji now. if the usual turn around time is 3-4 weeks at best, sending it in april 6th and hoping for it to be back by april 31st is cutting it very close. I do not have a computer here in tahoe because I came here to snowboard and do not have much of a reason for a computer until now. i have a work computer but am not allowed to download software onto it without an administrators password. it would have taken me a day or maybe a couple of days to get a computer that someone was willing to let me download software onto. Those couple of days could possibly mean i dont get my drone for my trip which is why i spent $1000+ dollars on it. I am very thankful for the help from the people who actually commented on this thread to actually help me, but i am very sorry that i wasnt willing to heighten the risk that i wouldnt get my drone that i spent $1000 on back in time for the exact trip i bought it for. Now i am done explaining myself, and i am done commenting on this thread. its turned into a dark hole of complaints after i have already explained myself so many times. Goodbye and good day.

IMO you won't get a drone back by the time you leave. If you sent it by your own means (FedEx/UPS at your own cost, 1 day service, with a CAS #), then sure, you have a chance as long as they ship you a CR Mavic immediately in what DJI consider immediately which is not dictionary compliant.

I hope that you get one before you leave.

On the insurance side of things you could get a MP only, no controller (not sure about battery) for $750, I believe. When you get closer to that date, say 7 days ahead, show us your DJI repair status and you'll get an honest appraisal of your chances of getting the CR MP on time.

I just went through this process. It was a bit over 6 weeks from start to finish and I immediately paid the bill for repairs when requested. It takes them days after they receive it to even check it in and then even after you pay it takes days and days for them to verify the payment before they will start repairs. The kicker is that after they tell you it is repaired they end up sending you back a different drone than you sent them. You have about as much chance getting stuck by lightning as you do getting this drone back before your trip. Sorry but that is the reality.

IMO you won't get a drone back by the time you leave. If you sent it by your own means (FedEx/UPS at your own cost, 1 day service, with a CAS #), then sure, you have a chance as long as they ship you a CR Mavic immediately in what DJI consider immediately which is not dictionary compliant.

I hope that you get one before you leave.

On the insurance side of things you could get a MP only, no controller (not sure about battery) for $750, I believe. When you get closer to that date, say 7 days ahead, show us your DJI repair status and you'll get an honest appraisal of your chances of getting the CR MP on time.

I live in Central california. Its the only reason i have high hopes. since its already scheduled to be delivered on 4/10/17 and even the slowest shipping carrier only takes 3-4 days to get back to me from their HQ, that gives DJI 2 solid weeks and some change to get me a replacement and ship it to me. Im really hoping and already considering having someone ship it to me in indonesia lmao

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I just went through this process. It was a bit over 6 weeks from start to finish and I immediately paid the bill for repairs when requested. It takes them days after they receive it to even check it in and then even after you pay it takes days and days for them to verify the payment before they will start repairs. The kicker is that after they tell you it is repaired they end up sending you back a different drone than you sent them. You have about as much chance getting stuck by lightning as you do getting this drone back before your trip. Sorry but that is the reality.
where do you live ?

and ive read several comments about people getting theirs back in 2-3-4 weeks. i know its cutting it close but comparing it to being struck by lightning is a lil drastic buddy lol

Not sure if it was mentioned or asked. From my experience on updates of dji go app or firmware, many settings changed without warning. One being my 120 meter max changed to 250 after an update. Along with other settings, also settings displayed in app when drone not connected are different that what is actually programmed on drone.

So when the OP says RTH was the setting on signal loss, is that what you remember setting it to? Is that what you seen when you turned on the controller when you were searching and seen that while the drone was not connected? Or is that the setting you seen after you found the drone and connected the controller.

After reading the majority of the posts here, I would surmise that the drone simply landed. Landed due to low battery because the setting at some point for RC signal loss was reverted back to "hover" this is backed up by two very important facts. 1. All debris was located in same spot and it was not in an elliptical pattern over 20-30 feet. 2. Witness seen it fall from sky. I challenge the word fall from sky, if it actually just fell, the likely hood of someone hearing It, turn to see it, and figure out what it is is very slim. However, if it started to land and slowly as they do, there would be sufficient time to hear, see and figure out what it is.
Think about how many times you have seen some flash across the carpet, and thought.... was that a mouse? Naaa can't be...
3. Data retrieved from controller has battery level of 40%? Or what ever it was. This is due to the RC signal loss.
4. Telemetry data was probably looked at by the OP when he recovered the drone, and seen this very entry, RC Signal Lost then....Low battery LAND. ?
5. Is the telemetry data kept on the SD card or internal memory on the drone? if so, OP probably kept the SD card before sending it in for repair.

Regardless, glad you found it, I always worry when i'm out on a hike, and the thing is so far away, and even farther up the mountain, I think, if it were to fall, would I want to go climb up there... :)

Last edited:
If it just landed, why would it be in a big hole in the snow with the battery detached??

Flight logs are stored on internal memory, otherwise everyone would complain he could only take 5min of video ;)

If it just landed, why would it be in a big hole in the snow with the battery detached??
Because it hit stuff on the way down, broke blades, then fell, and hit hard enough to detach battery. I one time flew very aggressively in sport mode with only 1 clip actually clipped on the battery. Not on purpose, just didn't clip in properly. Flew the entire 20 minutes or so then seen it... But still never disconnected.

one time flew very aggressively in sport mode with only 1 clip actually clipped on the battery. Not on purpose, just didn't clip in properly. Flew the entire 20 minutes or so then seen it... But still never disconnected.
and that proves it can fly well with the battery half clipped.
It doesn't mean it will always be like that.

Google hint: "falsification"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert