DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH connection lost or remote died

seam108

Reactions
Hey everyone! I received my Mavic last week and it's been fascinating I have taken it about a mile before I turned home getting nervous as I expected no problems (knock on wood) everything works flawlessly. However I did have a question at one point I was getting a little video loss which was scary which I read is no big deal since the controller was fully connected and gps was good but my question is can I continue to still take it further and push it and when I do get to a distance if the remote controller has lost will it return to home with the altitude that I set? currently I set it at around 60 m and fully cleared of trees anywhere. Obviously I don't want to just test this out but wanted to get some feedback. Also I guess I could try just taking a little further out and turning off the remote? I'm assuming that would achieve the same concept. Also is there a way for it to return to home and not try to land and just return to the home point that I set? I always climb up to about 250 feet above where I'm standing and then set the home manually but it seems to always tell me the altitude that I have set in the settings and not the distance that I set at that point in time. I tried searching for some threads on here but I may have missed it so I'm sorry if I duplicated a post.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

If the drone's altitude is higher than your rth height it will keep its position and return home - if it is below the rth height it will fly up to the rth height and return home. Make sure you have it set to return home on loss of signal (not hover or land!) and you should be good to go.

If you have had loss of gps incidences I would be cautious issuing a rth command without connection to the remote. I lost signal of my mavic and lost gps which halted the rth and caused an autoland - you don't want this :p

If the drone's altitude is higher than your rth height it will keep its position and return home - if it is below the rth height it will fly up to the rth height and return home. Make sure you have it set to return home on loss of signal (not hover or land!) and you should be good to go.

If you have had loss of gps incidences I would be cautious issuing a rth command without connection to the remote. I lost signal of my mavic and lost gps which halted the rth and caused an autoland - you don't want this :p

Cool thanks I will try this. I thought I tried it once before slightly off the ground and it did not go higher to the set altitude which I thought was odd I will try to again. I don't think I've ever had a loss of GPS and I'm trying to think on how it would lose a GPS? If it's 300 feet in the air you would think it would always have a GPS signal now? That way I could bring it to it's max range and if I lost signal it was always return to home no? I'm just pretty nervous and I don't want to try and do this especially over water at the beach and it not return home!

If mavic lost connection with your remote or if you turn off the remote, the mavic will initiate RTH after 3 seconds. If I lost signal with my mavic and I am not sure if it is doing RTH, I would simply turn off the remote controller instead of pressing RTH button. Pressing RTH button doesn't guarantee your mavic will receive it if it lost connection. But turning your remote controller off for 10 seconds will always trigger RTH. Hope this help.

Reactions: bmoe75 and grizzard
Cool thanks I will try this. I thought I tried it once before slightly off the ground and it did not go higher to the set altitude which I thought was odd I will try to again. I don't think I've ever had a loss of GPS and I'm trying to think on how it would lose a GPS? If it's 300 feet in the air you would think it would always have a GPS signal now? That way I could bring it to it's max range and if I lost signal it was always return to home no? I'm just pretty nervous and I don't want to try and do this especially over water at the beach and it not return home!

Hmmmm so I took off made sure my settings were return to home, return to home was set at 60 m I flew about 50 feet to the left I shut off my remote control and it tried to start landing! it never gained altitude nor did it come back to the original spot. I also tried setting my home. Manually at about 150 feet in the air came down through flew about 50 feet to the left again shut off my remote and same thing I tried to land. Any ideas?

You need to be further away than that, not sure what the exact distance is but if it's close it will just land where it is. 30metres comes to mind.

I guess it was too close to the home point. Try to fly 100-200 feet away.

Thanks all, I will try that. You would think it would just go to the home spot I set with gps Regardless of the location but I guess that's just wishful thinking. what if I was in small quarters or small space and I needed it to return to my exact spot or something happened some failure

Thanks all, I will try that. You would think it would just go to the home spot I set with gps Regardless of the location but I guess that's just wishful thinking. what if I was in small quarters or small space and I needed it to return to my exact spot or something happened some failure

Turn on "Home lock" and pull right stick down will bring your Mavic back to your remote controller location.

Hmmmm so I took off made sure my settings were return to home, return to home was set at 60 m I flew about 50 feet to the left I shut off my remote control and it tried to start landing! it never gained altitude nor did it come back to the original spot. I also tried setting my home. Manually at about 150 feet in the air came down through flew about 50 feet to the left again shut off my remote and same thing I tried to land. Any ideas?

Read the manual. Less than 5m away, it lands. 5-20m way, it goes up 10m. Over 20m it goes to set altitude.

RtH issue!
Yesterday I was flying (not ideal conditions cold and windy with drizzle). I needed to demonstrate the Mavic "Lost connection RtH" function. I had it setup to RtH to launch site in the menu and @ 20m.

I flew out across a flat field to 50m and height of 10m. I then turned off my controller. It performed as expected. Rose to 20m turned around and flew back to a point directly overhead it's blue "H" landing pad (PGYTECH). Turned it's orientation to how it was at launch and proceeded to descend to 2m above landing pad. ........and there, in the wind and rain, it hovered.... after a good minute of (embarrassed) waiting I turned controller back on and manually landed.

Is this normal? Or was it because of the wind and rain on my wet and shiny landing mat????

RtH issue!
Yesterday I was flying (not ideal conditions cold and windy with drizzle). I needed to demonstrate the Mavic "Lost connection RtH" function. I had it setup to RtH to launch site in the menu and @ 20m.

I flew out across a flat field to 50m and height of 10m. I then turned off my controller. It performed as expected. Rose to 20m turned around and flew back to a point directly overhead it's blue "H" landing pad (PGYTECH). Turned it's orientation to how it was at launch and proceeded to descend to 2m above landing pad. ........and there, in the wind and rain, it hovered.... after a good minute of (embarrassed) waiting I turned controller back on and manually landed.

Is this normal? Or was it because of the wind and rain on my wet and shiny landing mat????

This has been my experience as well - I assume it is to avoid landing on an unsuitable surface if you are able to restore the connection between the controller and the drone. If the battery decreases to ~5% (correct me if I'm wrong) it will autoland regardless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph