DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Home Point may reset if GO App crashes and is restarted

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
I was reading about an incident on PhantomPilots and thought I'd share it here.

This is AFAICT UNVERIFIED as NOT TRUE.

Untitled.png

It's possible he reset the position via the GO app. But this one makes me nervous.

Update: I tested it - see further down, #29 and the drone maintained its original Home Point.

Last edited:
I'll give this a try tomorrow and update you, since I have an android. Will force close the app and see whether it RTH when it was first set.
Note, I have had crashes before using the app, done a reconnect but don't believe the home point has changed. But will give it a go.

I'm surprised nobody asked MaxHam to post that flight log. Wouldn't it make sense to continue that conversation over there? Without proof that this actually happened, there is no sense in really mulling it over here in a different forum.

Isn't the drone bound to the controller v app
Since the app can crash and drone still connected why would rth change?

I'm fairly new to DJI and Mavic, but I have had this several times when go crashes, once I restart I get a new home point. Never tried using RTH after a crash though.

This is definitely good information. Man...I experienced two crashes early in ownership of the Mavic. I don't recall using Return to Home after a crash. I can imagine the disbelief if I hit it and it flew off in an unexpected direction.

IF RTH/home point resets to Mavic's current location after a crash the app should warn the pilot that Homepoint and controller/transmitter are different.

Maybe DJI GO app should recognize that the Mavic is already airborne and warn the pilot that Home point cannot be automatically established.

Interestingly, amongst my logs I have quite a few Litchi flights where signal loss occurred mid mission. When this happens you end up with two flight logs in the app getting sent to airdata. One for each portion of in signal flight. Having read this thread I reviewed these logs in Airdata. I was surprised to see the indicated H point point on the second half of each flight was moved to where signal was regained. I very much doubt the H point on the aircraft actually changed & I suspect it is an indiosyncrosy of the recording process. Pulling the DAT from the AC after one of these flights would confirm this.

Having read this thread I reviewed these logs in Airdata. I was surprised to see the indicated H point point on the second half of each flight was moved to where signal was regained.
Did the latitude & longitude of the home point change in the flight log too?

I was reading about an incident on PhantomPilots and thought I'd share it here.

This is AFAICT UNVERIFIED. But I thought it should be presented here, just in case.

Scenario: you're flying along and your GO App crashes. So you restart it. But "something happens" and either the aircraft goes into RTH (signal loss) or you hit RTH on the RC. You wait for the drone to get back. ...

However, per the report, (#69) when the fellow restarted his app, he noticed the home position of the drone was changed to where the drone was at the time that he restarted the app. Had RTH started or had he invoked it, he would have landed where the drone was (happened to be over water).

It's possible he reset the position via the GO app. But this one makes me nervous. I'll try to test this in the near future but the weather sucks. Finally sunny today but a bit gusty. I'm busy tomorrow but it will be rainy again all week ... I haven't had GO crashes while flying but you never know.

(Seems Android users are more susceptible to app issues (disconnects/crashes) than iOS)
This may not only be an issue on android devices as I have had my Mac iPad crash on occasion. It has always done it when I am in the final stages of the mission (Litchi) so have been able to take it over manually. One should always be prepared to do that.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I'm surprised nobody asked MaxHam to post that flight log. Wouldn't it make sense to continue that conversation over there? Without proof that this actually happened, there is no sense in really mulling it over here in a different forum.

I posted this as a caution - if true it could lead to loss. If false we'll know soon enough... and I'll edit appropriately. I hope to try it this evening.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan