DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH or fly home?

RTH isn't a feature where you hit it, go make a grilled cheese sandwich and come back later to pick up your drone.
Absolutely not!

Cool thing is, you could do that if you wanted to, and 99.999% of the time everything would work just fine. That's what's so bad-*** about where tech has gotten to.

Absolutely not!

Cool thing is, you could do that if you wanted to, and 99.999% of the time everything would work just fine. That's what's so bad-*** about where tech has gotten to.
I agree. I've only had to intervene twice and both of those times I was intentionally trying to land it in a really tight spot. And there's still a good chance that it would've autocorrected and landed without harm but I just wasn't willing to risk it.

I think if you are landing in an open area (say 15 feet of clear area all around) then you are more than good without issue. I was trying to land on my back deck between a table, the house, and a tree. It has successfully landed there numerous times with a precision landing but twice it looked like it was going to land on the house so I paused and took over.

Just set the RTH height appropriately and it's the same as hand flying it home.
No, I'm flying down between the trees and undergrowth in a wood. There are very few places where there are gaps in the canopy that the drone could rise through. I fly line of sight only and keep a close eye on gps values as I've seen dedicated gps units have problems in these circumstances. I've set loss of signal to trigger hover rather than RTH.

Reactions: Glen e
No, I'm flying down between the trees and undergrowth in a wood. There are very few places where there are gaps in the canopy that the drone could rise through. I fly line of sight only and keep a close eye on gps values as I've seen dedicated gps units have problems in these circumstances. I've set loss of signal to trigger hover rather than RTH.
Ah. Got it!

BTW, does RTH actually bring the MP all the way to the ground? I have never let it touch down so I don't know. I should try that tomorrow.

Yep, it does. It's a magical thing.

If you've got connection before touchdown, it will bring up a slider asking if you want to land...after 5sec or so, it'll disappear and land away.

Reactions: namja
I'd recommend then that you use RTH over and over again in this scenario to make sure you have the settings, and the particulars of how it behaves under RTH in that environment, so that you DON'T have something go wrong when it does RTH on its own.

Your RC could up and suddenly just fail completely. Very unlikely, but it could. I'd rather feel pretty confident it was going to clear everything and just come back and land, than be pissing my pants hoping it would clear everything.
Well if my Rc fails than rth will kick in and since i have set a return hight propably twice more than anything between me and the bird it' ll come home safe.

I recommend everyone go to a big field (a High School football field works), and play around with RTH in all its different behaviors/modes. I finally did this the other day ('been flying DJI for a while now, and never did this), and learned a few things.

Do it all: Send it far enough away that it does a full ascend on user RTH. bring it in closer and RTH it from a variety of different distances -- explore just where that outer radius is where it just lands in place for RTH (20m I believe), so you can SEE how far away that is.

Fly a battery around until it forces RTH. Fight it and make it do a Critical Battery landing. Turn the RC off with it 100' away and see the timing of lost signal RTH.

I played a lot with it on one battery, and got much more familiar, and comfortable with it.

Glad I did.

I get my MP tomorrow in the mail and have been reading the forums for a week straight.

This is the best advice that I have seen thus far. Thank you!

Yep, it does. It's a magical thing.

If you've got connection before touchdown, it will bring up a slider asking if you want to land...after 5sec or so, it'll disappear and land away.
Oh cool. Thanks. I took the MP out today and totally forgot to try this. Tomorrow I shall try it.

I was out today around noon. Sun was almost directly above so it was uber-difficult to look up at the sky in almost any direction. I really should have used RTH to land the thing, or at least let it do part of the work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu