DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH or fly home?

Sencorp

Reactions
I am curious on how many people use the RTH to get their mavics home and how many just pilot home? My mate has a mavic as well and he uses the RTH almost every time. Me, I haven't activated my RTH once. Wondering what the % for either are and why to both questions.

Tried RTH only once to see if it works, but that's it. Over 100 flights and every single one is manually flown the entire flight... I don't use any of the "smart" features either, and the only feature I've actually tried is tracking, just to see how well it works..

The first time I used it was just for test purposes. The height, the path, the descending and auto landing were flawless.

But I went into a situation once where I was forced to used it.
My first flights were using a Moto X 2nd generation with Android 6.0.1. Very buggy device (like so many others Androids). Once I was in a farm I tried to fly over a huge field and I was under a bright sun. Terrible combination. I lost it from sight, the app crashed, the screen freezed and turned grey... I had no idea where it was and where it was pointing to.
So I closed the app and turned off the RC.
Around 2 minutes later (an eternity!), while the RC was trying to reconnect I heard it coming.
Party's over.
I landed it and went back home with that awkward feeling of happiness and a little bit of frustration.

Reactions: Sencorp
I fly back manually.. But that is simply because I CAN'T STAND THAT ANNOYING BEEPING SO **** OFTEN. Wish that could be a setting in the next update... How often to remind that you pushed the RTH. I get it, I held down the button, but thanks for letting me hear you beep for the next 5 minutes constantly just in case I MIGHT of forgot!

RTH flys slower than manual flight anyways.

Hmm speaking of which, low battery warning needs a setting too, for how often that beeps! I hate beeping beep beeps!

I fly home without help from an Roboter... ;) I did test RTH 2 times of course to see how precise it actually was.

i use both, why not? that is what the modes are for, sometimes i have done what i want or need to do and someone will want to chat and have a smoke etc etc.

Then yes i will hit RTH, why should i not trust these systems, that is what i paid my money for too. if i cant use them i might as well just buy a cheaper drone and be done with it.

i have used RTH many times, like i say sometimes there are other distractions going on which makes RTH perfect even just for having a smoke break before another flight, chatting to people who come up and wanna ask a lot of stuff about the drone (great way to reassure people drones are safe and can do this kind of stuff).

It is normally one of the first things i am asked "can it fly itself"

and i love the gormless look on their faces as they stare into the sky for 5 minutes trying to spot a drone and they only see it when i ask em to move out the way before it lands on their heads.

Tech is built to be used, i don't buy a car and leave it in my garage in case it breaks down, or never use the seat belt just in case it does not work, or use the satnav in case i end up in a river.

If it has a use and a function i will use it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu