DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Problem

Billybanana75

Reactions
Hi,
I have been having a problem with my return to home feature. The last few times I tried the RTH it seems confused. It turns in the direction of the home point ascends to the proper altitude and starts heading home but then abruptly stops (like something is in its' way) increases altitude, starts returning, stops abruptly, increases altitude starts to head home, stops abruptly etc. etc. It has done this the last 3 times I have tried the feature and all flights were in different areas.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you fix it?
I calibrate my compass each flight so I doubt that is the issue.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading!

Obstacle avoidance detecting sun as phantom obstacle.
I bet this was morning or evening?

You can turn off OV for the trip home. It's too bad you can't change attitude without affecting RTH.

Reactions: Billybanana75
I calibrate my compass each flight so I doubt that is the issue.
There's nothing about your compass that could possibly affect RTH like that.
And there's no reason to calibrate it each flight.
You won't make anything work any better by doing that.

Thanks Dan,
It was actually not too late in the day when it did it today but the sun was low (winter) and I though the OV and the sun could've been the problem so I did shut that off but it didn't help. The first time it did it it was partly cloudy at mid day and traveling North away from the sunlight

Thanks Dan,
It was actually not too late in the day when it did it today but the sun was low (winter) and I though the OV and the sun could've been the problem so I did shut that off but it didn't help. The first time it did it it was partly cloudy at mid day and traveling North away from the sunlight
If you had unexplained RT behaviour and the sun wasn't involved (it's the most common cause), post flight data and that might help solve the mystery.

Thanks Dan,
Mist or crud on the sensors? I agree, if the log can be analyzed, it will explain what the drone was "thinking".

Response is classic OA. Obstacle detected, stop and try to go over. Repeat until max height reached.

Perhaps OA wasn't completely turned off? Might be separate setting for RTH OA from normal OA.
Don't go by turning off OA through sport mode. Once in RTH, you are no longer in sport mode during RTH.

Thanks everyone
Ok I checked the sensors and they are clean, no obstructions on lenses. I have attached the flight data here.
Please let me know if this is what you're looking for
thank you!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-12-26_[15-03-39].txt
    339 KB · Views: 17
ok I checked out the messages to the far right and I see it lists what the craft was doing but I have no reason why. I definitely don't have anything taller than 164' around my house that needs to be avoided. I believe I even had the OA shut off too.
Anyone have any solutions as how to fix this? Maybe I should contact dpi? If I ever need to use the RTH in an emergency, it's never going to make it like this :(
thanks

Reactions: ColinS
ok I checked out the messages to the far right and I see it lists what the craft was doing but I have no reason why.
The reason why is that your obstacle avoidance sensed an obstacle and attempted to avoid it.
I definitely don't have anything taller than 164' around my house that needs to be avoided.
That would suggest that the obstacle was the sun, as has been found out by many other users.
I believe I even had the OA shut off too.
The data says you didn't.
There are two places to look in your settings to see this.
Note the second item here:
i-qScnpxN-L.jpg

And the second item here:
i-WsLtTZv-L.jpg

Anyone have any solutions as how to fix this? Maybe I should contact dpi? If I ever need to use the RTH in an emergency, it's never going to make it like this
See above
If you want OA to work in RTH, you can have it.
Just be aware that if the RTH is in the direction of a low sun, it might be affected.
If you have no obstacles to worry about, it's a simple matter to disable it for RTH.

Reactions: John235
wow
thanks for the help. I hope it was in fact the sun and not my Mavic. Rain all day today, I will do another test tomorrow
thank you!

I encountered the phantom obstacle today for the first time. Strange sensation. Only indication during RTH was the OA alarm. At 100ft up over water/savanna, no actual obstructions.
When I aborted RTH to tack around the phantom, then I got the brake messages.

hey y'all I finally figured out my problem... I needed to calibrate my OA sensors using the DJI assistant, pointing the drone at my computer screen and following the prompts. Very easy, just took a few minutes. Did a few RTH tests and she worked perfectly!
Glad that was all it was, thanks for your suggestions!

Reactions: Rpgvoyage

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daly_mail