Join Us Now

RTH to RC. Most people don't know this.

Do you know how the RTH to RC works?

• Yes

Votes: 91 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters
It's not supposed to. With Dynamic Home Point, it periodically updates to the position of the aircraft. You have to use Home Point Me to get it to update to the position of the RC. It's the top right button in the screenshot Timmy provided. ABOVE the dynamic home point function.

Read the whole discussion.. I know it's not supposed to, that's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Do you hit the RTH on the app, or on the controller itself? Because if you are using the app, it will go back to wherever you were when you set RTH to RC. If you hit the RTH on the controller, it will come back to you wherever you are. (That's what I've been told. I'm doing a test on it as soon as the fricken wind gets below 30mph around here!)

Interested in the outcome because nowhere does it say that there's a difference... both just initiate return to the latest recorded HP position.

Read the whole discussion.. I know it's not supposed to, that's exactly what I'm trying to say.
I did read the whole discussion. Youser asked if there was a way to have it return to the RC. Timmy posted how to. You then replied that that would cause it to go back to the aircraft position, not the RC. I replied pointing out that you two were talking about two different functions, and even agreed that dynamic home point would take it back to the aircraft position. Then you go back to saying you've never seen dynamic home point go back to the RC position, after I tried to point out that no one is saying that. o_O

Reactions: Youser and Kilrah
The only way it will return to the controller is if your phone or tablet has GPS built into it. Non cellular ipads do not. If you launch, then move from your original location and try to upadte your home point, it will not work. Because the app does not know your new location without GPS.

Is it safe to conclude that the new Dynamic Home point feature is ONLY updating the home point to current AC postition while tracking.
And that the right button of the two manual home point buttons updates the home point on the map if gps is available to DJI Go. Which in fact means where the operator/RC is. ?

Is it safe to conclude that the new Dynamic Home point feature is ONLY updating the home point to current AC postition while tracking.
And that the right button of the two manual home point buttons updates the home point on the map if gps is available to DJI Go. Which in fact means where the operator/RC is. ?
Yes

See above.. to keep the drone from trying to fly back to its last HP when the battery is getting low but you can achieve the same by switching Smart RTH off. To me this feature makes no sense and will only confuse people into thinking the HP is being adjusted to the the position of the RC, which would make a lot more sense..
It's for the "follow me" mode where you may be far afield and it makes no sense to return where you launched from.

Several things going on here...

In prior post I've _always_ stated my position on RTH is that it should never be used unless there are no other choices. The pilot should always maintain manual control if possible. Others have stated that RTH works just fine and that they use it all of the time. Here is yet another good example of why I say this. The battery was simply getting low but still being controlled. There was no good reason to allow it to go into RTH mode. It looks to my like 51 probably allows RTH when prompted because there was no reason to allow it to do this in his situation. He was planning on hand catching so he did not want the Mavic to land automatically. He almost lost the Mavic... and it could have been avoided by not allowing RTH to kick in and maintaining manual control.

Everyone should know that pressing the pause button on the controller will stop RTH (in almost every situation). The Go 4 app does not need to be running. If you allow the Mavic to go into RTH when you still have control, you should certainly know this.

Good info on RTH being the RC's location when the home point was set. Kudo's on admitting to the mistake in the prior video and correcting it. People don't understand how much a person puts themselves out there when making how-to videos. For me, I spend hours and hours learning about something and hours and hours doing my own testing. What people see is a quick 4 minute video.

To address Dynamic home point. Yes, it's something completely different. IMHO, it's about pointless if you are using a controller. It's really been added for the Spark and how DJI markets it to be used without a controller.

Bottom line... I've said it before and I'll say it again... use Hover for RTH if you are going to use Active Track and move around. I have also said that DJI needs to make this a pop up message when someone uses Active Track. You listening DJI?

Reactions: 51 Drones
41agY4fjU1L.jpg
Almost crashed my MP in the water, because I thought wrong on how the RTH to RC works.

It is a bit hard to understand why DJI does not provide a real "RTH-to-RC" function.

After all, the distance is always displayed in the RC so the system knows how far the AC is from the RD so the only information missing is the azimutal one which could be obtained by either (a) signal direction finding circuitry in the AC, or (b) an automated method of tentative flying to determine the "away" and "into" courses, much like we may manually resort to, if phone/tab app control is list.

It even wouldn't have to be that precise. All the would be needed is maneuvering back to the general area of the current RC position until manual control could be regained.

The question was can you have your mavic return to the controller... the answer is yes...
Here is the scenario... Flew the mavic to see if I could make it to the next town (3.5 miles away) hopped in a car with a friend... Flew it as we followed... made it to the park we wanted to fly too... switched to return to me as I showed above... App said your home point has been updated... hit return to home... mavic flew to altitude and then landed where I was standing...

I will see if I can find flight data but would have to remember what flight it was when I used it... but it dose work.
That is exactly how it functions

Reactions: Jenee

Interested in the outcome because nowhere does it say that there's a difference... both just initiate return to the latest recorded HP position.

I tested it on Thursday. It does not come to you when you push the controller button. Still goes to where you were standing when you set it. I made a video on it.

I tested it on Thursday. It does not come to you when you push the controller button. Still goes to where you were standing when you set it. I made a video on it.

At the risk of being that guy... that's what I was saying right from the beginning.

Reactions: 51 Drones
I appreciate you trying to educate the public but whoever doesn't have the patience to read the manual will hardly have the patience to watch a 10 minute video explaining something that should take about 1 minute max..

+1. More and more, especially on photo sites, tips are offered on video that could be managed in text more profitably. Don't people read anymore? (Rhetorical question).

Not quite on topic but it reminds me of a recent cartoon. Parents take a four year old to a counselor: "No, he can read and write; we want you to teach him to speak".

Guilty! I have no idea what you all are talking about. I launch my Mavic, fly around, walk around while I did it, I have it set to the little guy in the settings, I hit RTH and it comes back to me. The map always shows me, home point, my location and the Mavic's location. When I have it set to dynamic, it changes with the drone. This seems to be one of those times that it pays to not be too smart. I read the manual and did what it said, I didn't analyse it.

I never use the buttons on the controller but I'd imagine that it would return to the take off point since the controller doesn't have GPS. I've never tried it but I imagine you can fly the Mavic without a phone. The buttons operate independently as a back up if your phone dies or the app crashes. At least that's what I thought.

This is an intersting but fairly long thread that could have been avoided if DJI would have simply issued a SOFTWARE manual.
As far as I know there is no such thing as a DJI Go manual which is properly incredible if you think about how much the Mavic ecosystem rely’s on the application and how much risk there is in flying while not mastering the application settings.

After reading this thread I need to change my vote to no. Make it 50 YES vs. 17 NO lol

Almost crashed my MP in the water, because I thought wrong on how the RTH to RC works.

thank you very much for this IMPORTANT POINT. seems like DJI should clarify that point in their documentation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760