DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH Crash

ChrisSask

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have had a Mavic 3 Classic since June. Yesterday I was flying and the drone fllw on the other side of this shelter. It was 1,095ft (333m) from me when I lost signal. Instead of going up to RTH hight (25m), it continued going straight for 141ft (42m) and crashed into the side of the building. It was in sport mode with accident avoidance off. It was recording at the time, but that video, won't open. The rest do.
Has this happened to anyone?
****EDIT**** When I say happened to anyone else, I'm asking both recover video and it crashing with RTH.

Last edited:
I have had a Mavic 3 Classic since June. Yesterday I was flying and the drone fllw on the other side of this shelter. It was 1,095ft (333m) from me when I lost signal. Instead of going up to RTH hight (25m), it continued going straight for 141ft (42m) and crashed into the side of the building. It was in sport mode with accident avoidance off. It was recording at the time, but that video, won't open. The rest do.
Assuming when you say, "Has this happened to anyone?" you are talking about the inability to play the truncated video. The video got truncated because it was not stopped gracefully. That has indeed happened to me. The video is recoverable, but you will need another example video from the same memory card that does play.

There is plenty of guidance on the internet about how to repair a truncated file.

Reactions: RodPad
Assuming when you say, "Has this happened to anyone?" you are talking about the inability to play the truncated video. The video got truncated because it was not stopped gracefully. That has indeed happened to me. The video is recoverable, but you will need another example video from the same memory card that does play.

There is plenty of guidance on the internet about how to repair a truncated file.
Thanks.. I was asking both about recovering the file and crash when RTH

Not to be off topic here, but I wonder why DJI would not automatically turn on obstacle avoidance in the event of RTH :(

Welcome to the Forum!

#1 don't sync your mobile device to DJI yet.

#2 look at this thread.

Other members will help out also.
If you got questions you will get help.

Rod ..

Not to be off topic here, but I wonder why DJI would not automatically turn on obstacle avoidance in the event of RTH :(
What makes you think they don't?
At the moment we have no information to say that the OP's drone was in RTH and we don't know if he had obstacle avoidance enabled.

...it continued going straight for 141ft (42m) and crashed into the side of the building.
Yeah... share the flight log so we have all data.

But just so you know... if you flew full speed in Sport mode (21m/s) & lost signal it would first brake then go into RTH... & you were only 2sec (42m) from the building, really doubt your drone could brake to a stand still under 2sec (if you had full speed).

****EDIT**** When I say happened to anyone else, I'm asking both recover video and it crashing with RTH.

In regards to the "corrupt" video . . . . there are programs you can use to "complete" the video but ONLY if you don't do anything else to the SD Card.

Well, if the height of the building is, let's say 100 feet high, your RTH should reconfigured for the height of the building and another 50 ish feet. Or just Hoover, walking to the area that the drone is and you might get the signal back. Also the antennas should be pointed to were the drone is. Using situational awareness you can mitigate before flying the possible issues in that mission. Perhaps you need a VO.

Well, if the height of the building is, let's say 100 feet high, your RTH should reconfigured for the height of the building and another 50 ish feet. Or just Hoover, walking to the area that the drone is and you might get the signal back. Also the antennas should be pointed to were the drone is. Using situational awareness you can mitigate before flying the possible issues in that mission. Perhaps you need a VO.
Just to clarify to avoid any confusion....the antenna tips should not be pointed at the drone, but rather the longitudinal flat side.

Reactions: New England Droning
Just to clarify to avoid any confusion....the antenna tips should not be pointed at the drone, but rather the longitudinal flat side.
And to clarify even further, the Mavic 3 Classic remote controller does not have protruding antenna tips. The top of the remote controller should be pointed toward the aircraft like this:

1704743777482.png

Last edited:
Correction, the antennas should be pointed in an angle or completely up or down. Wen the drone is located, if is on top of you, antennas up, If is 45 degrees from you then a ten as in an angle, if the drone is flying low or directly in front of you the antennas flat down. Also one antenna up the other down or in an angle and the other up, depending on the movements you are doing. In my case as Im inspecting a cel tower that is in front of me, then the antennas are up and in a 30degree angle.

@ChrisSask,
Are you still part of this thread? Thumbswayup

Rod ..

Adding, sorry I guess you have only been on here for a day, I will be quite. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Starz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13