DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH

That is the same link I posted and he says he is getting to step 11 but there are no files but; there were files there earlier today?? If I was reading correctly.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Ahhhhh. I missed the link, sorry.

In that case, if the logs can still be seen in the DJI RC and if the DJI RC can connect to wifi (I don't have one but presume it can connect to wifi ) I'd suggest syncing the logs with DJI.
Install the fly app on a phone and then sync the logs from DJI to the phone then copy the logs to computer. and upload the log to phantomhelp
It's a bit of a roundabout way of doing things but it has worked for some people. It might be easier if the phone is an Android but I am biased that way since I am not an iPhone user.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I took a flight this morning and when I was about 2200 ft out my screen said " lost reception ,no transmission " and the screen showed the last view before reception stopped. . It was my understanding that after 10 seconds of lost reception it would automatically RTH. I waited for about 30 seconds and nothing changed. As I walked around I got transmission back and hit RTH. The screen showed enough satellites, but the signal strength was poor, 1 bar. I hit RTH when I lost transmission, but obviously because there is no reception, the RC is not going to trigger RTH. Should I have waited longer and see what happens when I loose reception ?
What is RTH set at? Hover, Land, or RTH on lost of signal?

Reactions: minipro3
What is RTH set at? Hover, Land, or RTH on lost of signal?
You cannot set RTH to anything.
You can set the failsafe action to RTH, Hover or Land on loss of signal and his recorded flight data would show what it was set to.
But the default is RTH and almost no-one ever changes it to anything else.

Hover in place at loss of signal doesn't sound like a winning option.

IN process of duplicating loss of transmission issue in same area that I flew in - will try to fix the flight log thing later.

Thanks for all the input - This whole drone thing is a lot more technical then I ever imagined !

You cannot set RTH to anything.
You can set the failsafe action to RTH, Hover or Land on loss of signal and his recorded flight data would show what it was set to.
But the default is RTH and almost no-one ever changes it to anything else.
You are absolute rights. I give some miss information but I corrected my post.

So, I have been trying to video around a lake in my area. Been taking off in various locations to access the lake but to no avail. I finally figured out what has been happening. To get to the lake I have to fly about 2500 ft out. Houses and trees are between me and lake when flying to lake. Yes , I know , not VLOS. It seems that I can only get about 2300 feet before I loose transmission and the screen freezes, my RC says poor reception and I can't see what's happening. This is where I got confused about RTH. My guess is the drone is still flying and controls are still working, but because the display is frozen, I can't see what it is doing. I believe that I still have control , am blind, but have not lost complete connection yet, that's why it did not RTH. If I continue to fly away during this issue, eventually I loose complete connection and RTH is initiated. It then returns to home. I tried it 3 times with the same results.

My questions are.....

Is it normal to lose connection at only that distance ?

Does my assessment make sense ?

The details are not clear from your description, but if you have lots of trees blocking the line of sight between your drone and the controller, that's perfectly normal.
A tree or two will only make a small difference, but add more trees and the signal is lost.
Suburban areas also have lots of wifi interference that contributes to signal loss.

Whether you are losing signal completely or just the downlink, would require the recorded flight data to confirm.

Reactions: SeaPig
So, I have been trying to video around a lake in my area. Been taking off in various locations to access the lake but to no avail. I finally figured out what has been happening. To get to the lake I have to fly about 2500 ft out. Houses and trees are between me and lake when flying to lake. Yes , I know , not VLOS. It seems that I can only get about 2300 feet before I loose transmission and the screen freezes, my RC says poor reception and I can't see what's happening. This is where I got confused about RTH. My guess is the drone is still flying and controls are still working, but because the display is frozen, I can't see what it is doing. I believe that I still have control , am blind, but have not lost complete connection yet, that's why it did not RTH. If I continue to fly away during this issue, eventually I loose complete connection and RTH is initiated. It then returns to home. I tried it 3 times with the same results.

My questions are.....

Does my assessment make sense ?
Interference differs in each area. Keep in mind there is a difference between losing video feed and RC to Drone loss of signal. You can still control the drone without a video feed with the sticks. To initiate Smart RTH, tap on the RTH button.

The flight logs would explain a lot to further assist you. Right now, all we can do is guess.

Reactions: SeaPig and Ty Pilot
If you encounter lose of signal to the drone and it initiates RTH, how does the RC record entire flight log when there is no connection during that time ? I assume it only records up to the connection loss

If you encounter lose of signal to the drone and it initiates RTH, how does the RC record entire flight log when there is no connection during that time ? I assume it only records up to the connection loss
The app can only record flight data when it's connected to the drone.
But it contains a lot of information which could help explain why signal was lost or help to identify a likely search area for a lost drone.

I've gone thru this process multiple times today.

I get stuck at #11. here is pic of RC screen at step 11. And... I do have a sd card in controller

No option to choose DJI RC, but there was earlier :oops:
View attachment 160349
Got a PC? Just turn the controller on and plug it in to USB port and the files are in the internal shared storage. Same if you plug it into a phone.

Reactions: Meta4
there are so many possibilities when you lose connection that it becomes very confusing. My main concern is cancelling the RTH by moving the stick, and in practicing all possibilities, I've found that sometimes moving the stick cancels the RTH and sometimes it doesn't.

there are so many possibilities when you lose connection that it becomes very confusing. My main concern is cancelling the RTH by moving the stick, and in practicing all possibilities, I've found that sometimes moving the stick cancels the RTH and sometimes it doesn't.
Moving the sticks is not intended to "Cancel" RTH You can still control the drone with the sticks, but to cancel RTH you must hit the RTH button again, or the red X on the control panel screen.

It's a good idea to practise with RTH out in the open so you understand how it works, how to initiate it and how it works when signal is lost.
When you are needing it to work, is probably the worst time to start learning how it works.

If you post the recorded flight data, someone might have a chance to help you.
But otherwise you are only going to have people making guesses (which are most likely to be quite wrong).

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
Or just post the .txt file here.
That’s good advice

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki