Join Us Now

Safe Controller Charging

I charge my controller.....?

• In a fire resistant container

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rephlex

Reactions
Hey folks. I've had my Mavic for about a month and didn't consider battery safety at all when I bought it. Fast forward that month and I've opted for the "better safe than sorry" approach and bought a Bat-Safe and some LiPo bags. I figure my house and family's lives are worth more than the $80 outlay and if nothing else, I've got better peace of mind.

Now I'm wondering about my controller. It's also a LiPo, and while small; the risk of a fire exists with that too. Does anyone take any special precautions with controller charging similar to the safeguards some people employ with the intelligent flight batteries? Should I charge my controller in the Bat-Safe too?

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not interested if you consider my approach to battery safety over-zealous. I'm simply looking for some advice on controller LiPo safety.

I'd appreciate any constructive input.

Do you put all your phones, tablets, cameras and laptops in fireproof containers to charge them?

If not then there is no reason to do so for the Mavic controller nor the Mavic batteries.

Reactions: Rbruz and marty`s
Do you put all your phones, tablets, cameras and laptops in fireproof containers to charge them?

If not then there is no reason to do so for the Mavic controller nor the Mavic batteries.

Perhaps you can elaborate why you know better than DJI and can confidently ignore their battery safety warnings, and also educate me why they needlessly produce LiPo safety bags for the Mavic?

Thanks in advance.

Best thing is to only charge when you are around. I dont charge overnight or when not home. Also charge away from flamable materials.

If your using the Official charger; the chance of fire is probably the same as
filling your car with petrol.
Batteries not being used/connected? similar to the car, unlikely to
spontaneously combust

Insurance is cheaper if you keep, work on inflammable stuff in the garage.
Less wife & kids in there, and beer in the spare fridge :)

The Mavic batteries and controllers includ management and protection circuitry just like the other devices I mentioned. If you consider the Mavic stuff unsafe you should do the same with the others.
and also educate me why they needlessly produce LiPo safety bags for the Mavic?
To part you from some of your money? Easy business.
OK, they are of some use when travelling by plane as some companies/jurisdictions want you to have spare batteries in lipo bags.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
I can't find anything in DJI's battery safety guidelines that says they need to be charged or stored in fireproof safes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph