DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe or not to fly at this temperature ?

sergi91

Reactions
f99d4d87cb88068c3b027c249e586ed4.jpg

On Long Island yesterday it was 20 degrees with strong winds. Cold but comfortable. The MPP throws up a warning ‘battery is to cold to takeoff’. I sat in the car with the heater going for a few then the MPP lifted off with no issues.

Reactions: Jonez
Come on, there are no "no-fly zones" nearby, visibility is 16km and you have a lock on 16 Sats, what else can you ask for? -29C, come on be a tough guy! LOL
I am but i dont want the thing to freeze in the sky and fall and cracks someones head u know lol

Probably more of a problem with this temperature for you than for the Mavic. Keep the hands warm. :)

Keep the batteries warm (have them in an inner pocket of your jacket) and expect that the batteries don´t last as long as they use to.

Other than that it´s no problem. I have been flying in -15C a lot of times with no problem at all except freezing fingers.

I fly from inside car when weather is cold or to hot.

The windchill is more interesting to the human standing there and flying. The actual temp is more important when it comes to keeping the battery warm before flight. Once airborne it will keep itself up in temp. I wouldn't have any issues with that except making sure I find my way back if I get issues with compass / GPS.

Reactions: BrAinZ
Would not fly but i have flown many times in below zero with the Mavic. If its low humidity the temperature is no problem the single problem i have found was prop break, the parachute saved that one tough (yes im a coward i mounted a rc parachute on it) . But when its cold and hi humidity.. Made me lose one because of ice issues.

I have been flying in Montana the last week with temps around minus 10-15C. Been following all the advice I have picked up from previous postings on the topic.

Have had nil issues with the Mavic, but it has been my IPHONE 6S that has struggled. Had phone charged at 100% and after 10 mins of flight the phone shutdown - thankfully clicked RTH on controller and after a fairly nerve wracking 2-3 mins the Mavic appeared on the horizon heading home.

After warming up phone and turning back on it was at 85% charge. Just a warning for others - a bit scary when it happens and Mavic is about 1200metres away and it’s super cold.

I have been flying in Montana the last week with temps around minus 10-15C. Been following all the advice I have picked up from previous postings on the topic.

Have had nil issues with the Mavic, but it has been my IPHONE 6S that has struggled. Had phone charged at 100% and after 10 mins of flight the phone shutdown - thankfully clicked RTH on controller and after a fairly nerve wracking 2-3 mins the Mavic appeared on the horizon heading home.

After warming up phone and turning back on it was at 85% charge. Just a warning for others - a bit scary when it happens and Mavic is about 1200metres away and it’s super cold.
Hello there ' new nj flyer here, I flew last night same kinda conditions, does the camera get jello In cold,?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman