DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung S7 Edge

Setting aside the issue (I am having) with DJIGO4 paired with the S7 edge.

It is still a pretty good phone to use with the Mavic, even though it is not officially endorsed by DJI.
Screen is nice and bright. Daytime I try to remember to disable auto brightness and set it near max preflight. Harder to get to that menu once DGIGO is up landscape. Also I kill all other apps as last step before connection. I have never had issue when the phone takes calls with minimal screen intrusion and clear speaker phone. Taking a screen shot of anything is a PITA but rarely needed. I use photos.google.com instead of the in built gallery app. This means any stills I take, end up syncing across automatically. I often use the cameras AEB mode (3 shot) and Google automatically creates a nice HDR. It also automatically stitches any simple panoramas I take. I have it in an incipio case which is dead simple to remove each time I whack the phone in the controller. If I was being picky I would simply want a larger screen. Except that variant catches fire..

Reactions: Wacker2611
Setting aside the issue (I am having) with DJIGO4 paired with the S7 edge.

It is still a pretty good phone to use with the Mavic, even though it is not officially endorsed by DJI.
Screen is nice and bright. Daytime I try to remember to disable auto brightness and set it near max preflight. Harder to get to that menu once DGIGO is up landscape. Also I kill all other apps as last step before connection. I have never had issue when the phone takes calls with minimal screen intrusion and clear speaker phone. Taking a screen shot of anything is a PITA but rarely needed. I use photos.google.com instead of the in built gallery app. This means any stills I take, end up syncing across automatically. I often use the cameras AEB mode (3 shot) and Google automatically creates a nice HDR. It also automatically stitches any simple panoramas I take. I have it in an incipio case which is dead simple to remove each time I whack the phone in the controller. If I was being picky I would simply want a larger screen. Except that variant catches fire..

The screen will seem large to me, coming from an iPhone 6s. In fact, that was the one thing I was doubtful about initially, as I've always used an nvidia Shield K1 previously but I've had no problems getting used to a smaller screen whatsoever. Added to the fact that in general, a good phone will handle bright daylight much better than any tablet.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Well that is more or less normal and nothing to do with android. My understanding is the controller battery is designed to do about 4 aircraft batteries worth of flight. Why would it need to do any more? I have the fly-more kit with three batteries and I do not recall seeing the controller battery less than 30% after using them all in succession with my S7 attached . At this point you would have to recharge the intelligent flight batteries and while this is going on the controller will get recharged too. So a non issue IMO. QI charger is a silly idea and I have never needed it. Just charge the controller when you charge the mavic batteries and you wont have a problem.

It might seem silly to you but I have 5 batteries (so far) so personally I need the controller to last longer. You ask why would it need to do more, well mainly if had more batteries of course. All android phones unless rooted draw power/charge themselves off the controller and as such deplete the controller much faster. Using the QI charger interrupts this process and charges the phone itself hence giving me much more juice left in the controller and the phone. This is only one solution, another is to use the bottom port and a power brick but DJI do not recommend doing this.
If I am out for the day I may not always have the luxury of being able to charge the Mavic's batteries, the controller and phone yes but then you cannot fly for 2 hours or so. Again, this is personal preference and simply because I have 5 batteries with another 2 on their way to me. If you only have 3 batteries then correct, you do not need to look at or be bothered about any type of solution to keep you going.

It is after all an esoteric issue, related to atypical usage that is not specific to the S7 Edge, the topic of this thread.

It might seem silly to you but I have 5 batteries (so far) so personally I need the controller to last longer. You ask why would it need to do more, well mainly if had more batteries of course. All android phones unless rooted draw power/charge themselves off the controller and as such deplete the controller much faster. Using the QI charger interrupts this process and charges the phone itself hence giving me much more juice left in the controller and the phone. This is only one solution, another is to use the bottom port and a power brick but DJI do not recommend doing this.
If I am out for the day I may not always have the luxury of being able to charge the Mavic's batteries, the controller and phone yes but then you cannot fly for 2 hours or so. Again, this is personal preference and simply because I have 5 batteries with another 2 on their way to me. If you only have 3 batteries then correct, you do not need to look at or be bothered about any type of solution to keep you going.

Christ on a bike, 7 batteries!!!!!

It is after all an esoteric issue, related to atypical usage that is not specific to the S7 Edge, the topic of this thread.
Oh give me a break! The OP Wacker is coming from an iPhone so I simply mentioned that android phones drain the controller more as they charge off it. With that I offered a solution that I use. If it really bothered you that much would it not have been easier to simply ignore my posts!

:) I am not able to get much so like to be prepared for when I do lol
Hi chippie,
smart idea, that Qui workaround. I still lack the Mavic to try out my "5V wire cut" Solution but as a icroUSB cale is less then $1 at places (or 1 GPB as well) you could give it a try.
And maybe you can connect your Qi charger to the Tx as well charging both ?!

Greetings,

Ender

Hi chippie,
smart idea, that Qui workaround. I still lack the Mavic to try out my "5V wire cut" Solution but as a icroUSB cale is less then $1 at places (or 1 GPB as well) you could give it a try.
And maybe you can connect your Qi charger to the Tx as well charging both ?!

Greetings,

Ender

I am pretty sure some have already tried to cut the wire and the device was not longer visible but wont hurt to try I guess, I have stacks of cables here so may try later.

Will try to connect the controller to the QI charger but it sort of defeats the object as in that case you might as well simply connect a power brick to the controller which will keep both juiced up, not need for QI. Also DJI do no recommend charging the controller at the same time as using it but not sure how much if any damage you can do this way?

I am pretty sure some have already tried to cut the wire and the device was not longer visible but wont hurt to try I guess, I have stacks of cables here so may try later.

Will try to connect the controller to the QI charger but it sort of defeats the object as in that case you might as well simply connect a power brick to the controller which will keep both juiced up, not need for QI. Also DJI do no recommend charging the controller at the same time as using it but not sure how much if any damage you can do this way?
Well they say the internal battery capacity prediction is not as precise then, hard to think they can foul that one up as its an Android 4.4 System inside, they would have to actively break the Power Management to get it bad...
But maybe they did just that and MAYBE they are just coering their corporate *sses...
(We know from phones that they get hot from doing this: working those computations, charging another device AND charging the internal battery. Maybe thats their concern, maybe its just blurb).

About the 5V thing: well i have not heard about someone trying it, i have an USB Breakout board so i can easily try and i did with some USB accessories, i am about 50 / 50 hit-miss rate but it cannot damage anything.
And lacking the Mavic i simply dont more.

So IF you try lets know the outcome ;-)

Ender

P.S. just remember to remove the short cables completely when trying but you probably know about that since 11-9 Firmware...

New 01.03.000 Firmware with Samsung S7 Edge

Just completed my first session with the new firmware having installed it from within DGIGo4 which had previously been giving me grief. Did a clean install of DGIGo4 before hand as I had removed it. Re calibrated nothing afterwards.

Not unexpectedly, battery life is all still the same. Put all three batteries through it, with video caching all the while and ended up with the RC a little over 30% and the S7 phone at 68%. So no issue there - all good.

The excellent news is I saw none of the previous major problems that I was having with DGIGo4 and my S7 edge previously. For starters, no drop outs, spurious signal loss messages or crashes whatsoever. All the "Intelligent Flight Modes" worked as advertised.

RTH & Autoland spot on placing it back on the end of a cricket pitch. Active track, course lock & POI all working nicely and playing well with the S7 edge.

Only thing that is seemingly S7 edge specific and still there is the Follow Me GPS signal from the phone to the RC is still choppy causing the aircraft to unnecessarily pitch about the place as it moves with you. The gimbal damps it out but it is annoying and it would be nice if there was an option in the "Follow Me" mode to tell it to damp or blend the signal somewhat.

Not sure if its Android only but the bug. The incorrect imperial setting (mph) speed in DGIGo4 is still there. It is not actually simply showing Kmh labelled as Mph either. The displayed figure is close to but not quite the kmh equivalent either. Something other factoring going on there.

Only other bummer with DGIGo4 is the Flight record database is still all messed up with multiple Aircraft showing and a stack of missing flights. But I can live without this.

Looks super promising and am happy again to use it with my S7 edge. Will be looking keenly elsewhere in the forums for any TBE's before I send it of with Litchi.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated. The phone arrived yesterday and I think I'm going to be v happy with it. Now, just need to get my Mavic back from the Doctors!

Only thing that is seemingly S7 edge specific and still there is the Follow Me GPS signal from the phone to the RC is still choppy causing the aircraft to unnecessarily pitch about the place as it moves with you. The gimbal damps it out but it is annoying and it would be nice if there was an option in the "Follow Me" mode to tell it to damp or blend the signal somewhat.
Did you try to set your location services to "only GPS" instead of factoring in Cell towers & "kown" WiFi Networks ?

Ender

Did you try to set your location services to "only GPS" instead of factoring in Cell towers & "kown" WiFi Networks ?

Ender
Good idea. I just tried it now. Nothing changed and it still tracks the controller/phone position in the jerky fashion in "follow me" mode. So switched my S7e back from Location method; "GPS Only" to "GPS,WiFI and Mobile networks". Not ideal but at least the video is stabilised.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird