DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Samsung S8 phone as bright as crystal sky at 1020 nits

Funny! we were trying to prove in another thread about Titan batteries being usable in mavics.....all the naysayers and professor types posting algorithm/mathematical proof that it wouldn't work came out of the woodwork..... then in the end someone just got a titan battery and had a successful 45 minutes no heat issue flight that blew all the negative comments out the water.
That titan battery is perfect for you. You should get one. For everyone else, don't waste your money.

Reactions: Kilrah
· Even Higher Automatic Peak Brightness

On the Galaxy S8 the Maximum Screen Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy S8 produces up to a very impressive 1,020 cd/m2 (nits) in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – which is the brightest Smartphone display that we have ever measured, tied with the Galaxy Note7 and 19% Brighter than the Galaxy S7. As a result of its very high Automatic Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy S8 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 128 to 227, also the highest that we have ever measured for a Smartphone display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Lightand the Screen Reflections sections for the measurements and details. The much higher Peak Brightness of over 1,000 nits is also used to provide High Dynamic Range HDR, which we discuss next...

article that described “How Automatic Brightness Should Work.” The Galaxy S8 is the first Smartphone (along with the Galaxy Note7) to have a second Ambient Light Sensor on the back that also measures the surrounding ambient light behind the phone and then uses both measured values to adjust the display Brightness based on the front and back lighting. The Galaxy S8 Automatic Brightness Control has also been enhanced to provide improved response and transition times with changing ambient light levels to give your eyes the proper amount of time to adjust to the new levels.

article that described “How Automatic Brightness Should Work.” The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S7 are the first Smartphones, Tablets, or TVs to do Automatic Brightness correctly.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On (under Display Settings), if you adjust the Brightness Slider, the Galaxy S8 will remember your setting along with the current Ambient Light level that is measured by its Ambient Light Sensors (ALS). From then on the Galaxy S8 will automatically adjust the screen Brightness by measuring the current ambient light level and then adjusting the display Brightness based on the settings that you have previously made, so you’ll get a customized screen Brightness setting that you’ve previously trained it to produce for the current level of ambient light – and you can continue to tweak and adjust it as needed. Other smartphones operate using the antiquated opposite approach that works backwards and poorly, which often results in users disabling Automatic Brightness.

Samsung Say the very same technology is used in there TV'S!
And it's complete BS since while being the largest producer of OLED displays Samsung never released any TV using the same display tech than what is used on their phones. They've precisely skipped on OLED TVs because of longevity and burn-in issues. Instead they waited to develop and release what they call "QLED", which is not exactly OLED - it's white-only dots with inorganic color filters in front (and thus negates the energy savings of OLED by the way). The guy either doesn't know what he's talking about or the confusion is intentional as I mentioned before.

Samsung's own website says
OLED TVs aren’t made to watch at maximum brightness, because, in combination with the organic material that comprises OLED TV, it increases the risk of burn-in. So you have to choose between a bright screen for better color expression or burn-in.

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that anthing made in China will have at least one knock off copy. What are the knockoff copies of the crystalsky?

I 've seen how Samsung OLED phones get screen burn-in after about 4 months in stores, yes.
They run all day at max "normal" brightness (not the temporary superbright) looping their demo video, and patterns from the video burn themselves in after that short time. The brighter you push an OLED screen the quicker it happens, basic property of that type of screen (and what took years to bring to an acceptable level, and led to OLED coming out on the market some 8 years after originally planned, was in an engineering team following OLED developments closely for some years).

They don't need to since the phone does it's job well enough so that you can't by automatically dropping out of that "peak brightness" after a few minutes... which was pointed out at the beginning of the thread.

You are correct. I have seen multiple Samsung OLED phones with the demo video burned in. It literally happens in every store that has the demo/screen brightness correctly setup.

Fact: this is the "peak brightness" and not the brightness you get when you set your display on max.
Fact: there is no manual setting to get to that brightness.
Samsung is not stupid. This is deliberate because the so called "peak brightness" is not a sustainable brightness.

Also, "I called Samsung ..." is about as useful as "I called DJI ..." which is less useful than calling Santa Claus.
Assuming the Samsung conversations actually took place, it is clear they don't know anything about their own products.

Reactions: Kilrah
Also, "I called Samsung ..." is about as useful as "I called DJI ..." which is less useful than calling Santa Claus.

What?????? Calling Santa Claus is useless???????

D%#N -- I hate these on-line forums!!! Next thing you'll be telling me is that The Easter Bunny isn't real and there's no Tooth Fairy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inou