DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 San Diego aerial

Thank you for the tour of San DIego. Well done.

A great peek at your beautiful City and surrounding towns. Very well shot. Was that La Jolla and the coastline around it? I only ask as we made a fantastic visit to SD for a wedding many years ago and I think I recognised where we watched the seals one Sunday morning. Do I have that right?

Really good video! Lots of recognizable landmarks for me. San Diego was my homeport when I was stationed there from 1976 through 1979. Love seeing the Coronado Hotel from the air as well as the Coronado Bridge.

How much LAANC authorization did you have to get? You were flying relatively close to the North Island Naval Air Station @ Coronado (runway visible in a couple of your clips) + there is the San Diego Airport across the bay.

A great peek at your beautiful City and surrounding towns. Very well shot. Was that La Jolla and the coastline around it? I only ask as we made a fantastic visit to SD for a wedding many years ago and I think I recognised where we watched the seals one Sunday morning. Do I have that right?
Thanks!

Really good video! Lots of recognizable landmarks for me. San Diego was my homeport when I was stationed there from 1976 through 1979. Love seeing the Coronado Hotel from the air as well as the Coronado Bridge.

How much LAANC authorization did you have to get? You were flying relatively close to the North Island Naval Air Station @ Coronado (runway visible in a couple of your clips) + there is the San Diego Airport across the bay.
Thanks!

Thanks!
Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing...lots of air traffic in that area with more than one airfield in the vicinity.

I was thinking the same thing...lots of air traffic in that area with more than one airfield in the vicinity.
There was everything OK, no restrictions in the placed from where i launched, my soft just show me ready to fly!

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
Nice video, but it seems like the only place you flew that was not problematic was in La Jolla. The whole beginning of the video in Coronado and Sunset Cliffs in Point Loma is problematic unless I am reading this map wrong. flying space over coronado and point loma.jpg

Reactions: Prop Wash
Nice video, but it seems like the only place you flew that was not problematic was in La Jolla. The whole beginning of the video in Coronado and Sunset Cliffs in Point Loma is problematic unless I am reading this map wrong. View attachment 171631
Thank you for your messages. Over the 2 years that I became drone pilot, I traveled to many states and cities in America and always tried to follow the flight rules as I understand them. Now I want to explain you how my flights happen. After I prepared the drone for takeoff, my program DJI FLY gives me the following messages:
1) Takeoff is permitted
2) This zone has a limited height, for example no higher than 60 meters. I take off and don't go higher
3) There are restrictions in this area, fly with caution. I'm checking everything around and flying with cautions.
4) This is an authorized area, flights are prohibited.
If the message is number 4, then in this case I have no opportunity to take off at all, in cases 2 and 3 I try to look around to be careful, in case 1 I take off smoothly.
If you saying that I was flying in the authorization zone and sent me a print screen of the zone where I was not supposed to fly, my question : why didn’t my program says me on that place "Takeoff permitted" ? I just want to understand for the future what should I do if the program tells me that takeoff is allowed, how i can know that there is authorized zone ? Thanks in advance for your advise.

Hi Borvish

I'm not a terribly experienced drone pilot, I've only been flying for about a year. The laws are constantly changing. What used to be a an open area for flying 6 years ago is not longer allowed in some areas. I've been studying for the 107 and its exhausting all the ins and outs you need to understand in order to legally fly in some areas. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong,...I truly don't know. It is assumed that you will do you due diligence and scope out the area you want to fly in before attempting to fly to make sure its legal. I use Aloft Air Control at home on my computer to look at maps to see where and where I can not fly before I go there, that is where the map pictured above is from, everything in the red zone is a no fly zone except for a very small section of Coronado with a 50 foot flight ceiling that you still need special permission to fly in. I can also use apps such as B4UFLY or Air Aware on my phone to check the area to make sure its legal.

From what I understand, being in an area where you need special permission does not stop you from actually launching your drone, such as my very own house. I'm very close to a Marine Air Base, far enough away where I can still fly, but close enough where I need to apply for permission to do so.

I know these laws are always changing, one of the best known drone pilots in my area took a great photo of a sunken ship 6-7 years ago in the Coronado Island area, I remember because I was there my self using my camera. I don't know if the laws have changed since then or if it was always like that, but that area is a definite no fly zone now, ( its right next to the US Navy Seals training facility) I would love to capture the very same photo, but I'm pretty sure that other pilot has one of the only legal copies of that photo in existence now, now that the laws have changed. I've see other people post newer videos from that same area. I'm not sure if they realize that its off limits. There is nothing that keeps them from physically flying their drone in that area, but authorities could sure cause some hurt in their lives if found out.

I am not trying to call you out, but just be aware of these changes. There are areas I would love to go fly in, but after checking the maps I realize the are not allowed, even if I see someone else's video showing otherwise, such as seeing someone flying over the Ocean Beach pier in my area during a recent storm swell that caused historic waves. Looking at the map I see that is allowed, but only with permission, and only to a 50 foot height. I do wonder if most people who have drones are even aware of this. But as the saying goes " ignorance of the law is not excuse", meaning if someone gives you a fine for flying in a area that you are not supposed to fly in, saying I did not know I could not fly there is not going to cut it with the authorities.

Sorry for my long winded answer.
Happy Flying
Brad

Hi Borvish

I'm not a terribly experienced drone pilot, I've only been flying for about a year. The laws are constantly changing. What used to be a an open area for flying 6 years ago is not longer allowed in some areas. I've been studying for the 107 and its exhausting all the ins and outs you need to understand in order to legally fly in some areas. From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong,...I truly don't know. It is assumed that you will do you due diligence and scope out the area you want to fly in before attempting to fly to make sure its legal. I use Aloft Air Control at home on my computer to look at maps to see where and where I can not fly before I go there, that is where the map pictured above is from, everything in the red zone is a no fly zone except for a very small section of Coronado with a 50 foot flight ceiling that you still need special permission to fly in. I can also use apps such as B4UFLY or Air Aware on my phone to check the area to make sure its legal.

From what I understand, being in an area where you need special permission does not stop you from actually launching your drone, such as my very own house. I'm very close to a Marine Air Base, far enough away where I can still fly, but close enough where I need to apply for permission to do so.

I know these laws are always changing, one of the best known drone pilots in my area took a great photo of a sunken ship 6-7 years ago in the Coronado Island area, I remember because I was there my self using my camera. I don't know if the laws have changed since then or if it was always like that, but that area is a definite no fly zone now, ( its right next to the US Navy Seals training facility) I would love to capture the very same photo, but I'm pretty sure that other pilot has one of the only legal copies of that photo in existence now, now that the laws have changed. I've see other people post newer videos from that same area. I'm not sure if they realize that its off limits. There is nothing that keeps them from physically flying their drone in that area, but authorities could sure cause some hurt in their lives if found out.

I am not trying to call you out, but just be aware of these changes. There are areas I would love to go fly in, but after checking the maps I realize the are not allowed, even if I see someone else's video showing otherwise, such as seeing someone flying over the Ocean Beach pier in my area during a recent storm swell that caused historic waves. Looking at the map I see that is allowed, but only with permission, and only to a 50 foot height. I do wonder if most people who have drones are even aware of this. But as the saying goes " ignorance of the law is not excuse", meaning if someone gives you a fine for flying in a area that you are not supposed to fly in, saying I did not know I could not fly there is not going to cut it with the authorities.

Sorry for my long winded answer.
Happy Flying
Brad
Thank you for explanation, this is very interesting and thanks for your links, i will have them for checking the zones. But i want to tell you - i never have internet in my mobile phone and can't check that links on my trips. And i understand that "ignorance of the law is not exuse"! Bytheway, i wondering why my program showing "Take of permitted" if there is authorized zone? Or in other words - can I fly in zones where my program shows the "Take off permitted", or should I first check this in the links that you gave me? If my program is based on the laws of flight in different zones - can her permission to take off to be proof that I can fly there or not? And what's happened if link showing me authorized zone, but program permitted to take off. This is very interesting for me .
Bytheway, It was nice and informative to learn from you some things that will help me in the future. Thanks!

You're confusing DJI Approval (which is NOT tied to any legal data in any way) with FAA Authorization! It's not a good idea to trust China-DJI to keep you legal in the USA!

DJI has GeoFencing - This is the system you're relying on
FAA Authorizations are in NO way tied to anything DJI

@Borvish you're got a PM waiting for you . . .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423