DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Scotty Kilmer: 5 Tools Stupid People Buy Including a Mavic

God guys I’ve got to start watching more threads both these guys are nuts ?
How it wasn’t moved to off topic I don’t know but it is now .

Not sure how many of you know who Scotty Kilmer is? If you are into automobiles you would know who he is. He has a YouTube channel on fixing your auto. He recently posted a video on buying cheap Chinese tools and parts for your car. He included a Mavic drone. In fact he ranted quite a bit on how the Chinese make terrible software. Apparently he updated his drone and it won't work. Interesting video.
I've been a long-time subscriber to Scotty's channel. I like his layman's take on bricking one's drone. Being a techy guy I'm sure I could fix it. But honestly, the end user shouldn't have to fix anything - especially a brand new drone. I certainly see his point.

D

Reactions: Fplvert
Not sure how many of you know who Scotty Kilmer is? If you are into automobiles you would know who he is. He has a YouTube channel on fixing your auto. He recently posted a video on buying cheap Chinese tools and parts for your car. He included a Mavic drone. In fact he ranted quite a bit on how the Chinese make terrible software. Apparently he updated his drone and it won't work. Interesting video.
Timewaster. So you get straight to his complaints about the Mavic go to
I am a bit puzzled about how he could screw up the software upgrade so much. He obviously has never had to deal with an upgrade to the US-made Microsoft Windows software when it hiccups and bricks a computer.

Timewaster. So you get straight to his complaints about the Mavic go to
I am a bit puzzled about how he could screw up the software upgrade so much. He obviously has never had to deal with an upgrade to the US-made Microsoft Windows software when it hiccups and bricks a computer.
Well, updating firmware is a little more tricky than a software update.
but even with that being said, he could’ve used the DJI Go app, to roll the firmware update back, and reinstall it.
to me, it sounds like his fuse is too short, and he didn’t even give them a chance to fix it…

He's right! Most of us have had problems installing firmware. I couldnt fly my Mavic Air for a week while studying how to downgrade the firmware (Sorry DJI) This happens with all drone companies and people are afraid to update them. This man speaks the truth regaurdless if you like him or not. He's All for chinese products if theyre any good and hes just as hard on American products. I believe Ford Motors has sued him multiple times and lost

I don't want 'truths', I want facts.

He's not going to be spouting wrong stuff all the time, but it's pretty worrying when you start looking into what the guy has said in the past.

Just about everything is made in China these days. The good, and the bad.

I don't want 'truths', I want facts.

He's not going to be spouting wrong stuff all the time, but it's pretty worrying when you start looking into what the guy has said in the past.
Yes and what he says about the Mavic drone in this specific video. I do not know how a fair, rational person could dismiss all Mavics as junk like he does based on such limited experience. Unless the whole thing is a joke or satire.

I've had DJI drones for awhile and my first thought was that anyone needing "hours" to go to the website and update their drone probably didn't do it right to begin with. It's never taken me anywhere near that long to update my drones and I don't have the greatest internet speed. Firmware can oftentimes be very unforgiving. I'm hoping the time was just an exaggeration, but then...well, we know the results. I also wonder if he performed the preventative maintenance on the chinese pumps that he advocates for the american pump.

Last edited:
thanks DC for moving it to off topic
it should have been moved off forum ,in my opinion
still trying to work out if it was a for or against Scotty Kilmer thread
still no one can say we dont cater for all tastes on this forum

Reactions: dirkclod
thanks DC for moving it to off topic
it should have been moved off forum ,in my opinion
still trying to work out if it was a for or against Scotty Kilmer thread
still no one can say we dont cater for all tastes on this forum
Think it’s the drugs ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case