DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seagate DJI fly drive

stratos

Reactions
fbcc4e922e2646903ed735895ddc7fd5.jpg

Good news a new harddrive is comming out wth microsd card. The drive was developed in partenership with DJi sowe can copy our footage to the hardrive on the field.

Cool isnt it?

Its going to be about 120 usd

If I am not mistaken you still need a laptop to do the transfer of data and it has no power so it needs a laptop or some other source to power the HD. Not sure how "on the field portability" this device offers.

If I am not mistaken you still need a laptop to do the transfer of data and it has no power so it needs a laptop or some other source to power the HD. Not sure how "on the field portability" this device offers.

I thought this was all-in-one. If what you say is true, this is absolutely idiotic and nothing more than an external drive with a DJI logo.

Reactions: wayy510
I thought this was all-in-one. If what you say is true, this is absolutely idiotic and nothing more than an external drive with a DJI logo.

Don't forget the built in SD reader. ;-)

Yea I feel the same way. Without power and the need for a pc to handle the transfer would make no sense.

Again I am speculating on both the need for a PC and no power but I don't see how they have been able to fit a battery in a device that looks almost as thin as their normal 1-2TB hd enclosures.

No, you don't need a laptop to do the transfer.
It's all on the go like the Toshiba Canvio Aerocast.
Just put the microSD card with its SD adapter and the device will automatically transfer the files.

Reactions: BigEegit
That's what we hope - but no place has actually mentioned the fact there was a battery, what its life or specs are or anything. So until there's official confirmation with specs it's still a "hope so".

Just put the microSD card with its SD adapter and the device will automatically transfer the files.

If thats the case then it will be a much better solution than what I thought it was. But I still don't see how this thin of case can also be holding a large enough battery to run this for a decent amount of time to transfer large 4k files...

I was looking to buy the same Toshiba drive or the Kingston MobileLite Wireless Pro but I am willing to wait to see what this one has to offer if they can release it in a timely matter.

I read on a handful of other forum sites and all say the same thing. It looks to not have any kind of battery power for automated backup of content. If it did, Seagate would showcase that feature which they are not doing. Hoping I am wrong on that thinking.

Personally I am going to TEST DRIVE the WD solution and see how that works out.
Amazon.com: WD 3TB My Passport Wireless Pro Portable External Hard Drive - WIFI USB 3.0 - WDBSMT0030BBK-NESN: Computers & Accessories
It offers not only SD card auto transfer but also USB. Problem like all these **** drives is that it's USB port is 2.0 and not 3.0 for the mobile flash transfer, but it's connection to the PC is usb 3.0 so at least to copy data off the drive to the pc is fast.

Most of these devices just have a very bad software interface on the mobile front or have limitations of file size transfers or very slow performance on data copy. Time will tell after testing.

Thanks for the input @macinfosys
Looking forward for the results.

Did you notice the 3TB model is $0.09 cheaper than the 2TB??

I think I may be happy with this solution from WD once it arrives on Thursday. I am not a fan of it's larger size especially since I am trying to be VERY portable in the field but I did have their ORIGINAL none pro version and it was a nice little unit but VERY SLOW. This model seems to be a very good upgrade over the original especially in terms of performance.

Here are 2 online reviews I watched.

Reactions: BigEegit

I thought you must be mistaken as this product makes no sense otherwise, the information from DJI is vague on their press release but it seems like you're correct and it's just a hard drive with a micro SD card reader which requires a PC to do the transfer.

I read on a handful of other forum sites and all say the same thing. It looks to not have any kind of battery power for automated backup of content. If it did, Seagate would showcase that feature which they are not doing. Hoping I am wrong on that thinking.

Personally I am going to TEST DRIVE the WD solution and see how that works out.
Amazon.com: WD 3TB My Passport Wireless Pro Portable External Hard Drive - WIFI USB 3.0 - WDBSMT0030BBK-NESN: Computers & Accessories
It offers not only SD card auto transfer but also USB. Problem like all these **** drives is that it's USB port is 2.0 and not 3.0 for the mobile flash transfer, but it's connection to the PC is usb 3.0 so at least to copy data off the drive to the pc is fast.

Most of these devices just have a very bad software interface on the mobile front or have limitations of file size transfers or very slow performance on data copy. Time will tell after testing.
I just bought 3 tb passport. Have not used it yet.

DJI is at it again!!! Hahaha!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR