DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seagate DJI fly drive

If the DJI Fly Drive wants to be what it's meant to be, it must have an internal battery.
As I stated before about one of its competitors, the Toshiba Canvio Aerocast has "Wireless Mobility. Integrated wireless access point for accessing your content on the go. Equipped with a built-in rechargeable battery with up to five hours of battery life."

For a power source couldn't you use the DJI USB adapter? You might already have that with you and you only really need it long enough to copy off the files from the card. Seems like that might work.

For a power source couldn't you use the DJI USB adapter? You might already have that with you and you only really need it long enough to copy off the files from the card. Seems like that might work.

No since you still need a "computer" to act as the bridge to transfer the content from the card to the drive. The key here is the lack of detail from DJI for that unit. If for a fact it doesn't have a built in processor to handle the file transfer of data from the SD card to the drive then it is no better than a simple external 1TB hard drive and a usb sd card reader. Thats why the Toshiba and the Western Digital devices discussed above are so much more powerful (feature rich) compared to what DJI has introduced.

There are still plenty of options out there, The DJI should be a powered standalone unit. This a stand alone unit for backing up SD cards.
HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA3 - Photo/Video

It is hitting the market Friday. I received an e-mail w/ship date from Amazon today ...

Okay - let me confirm that this is just an external drive with an MicroSD slot... that's it. You are not going to do anything in the field with this at all unless you have a battery to port it. This is so dumb. Just got mine and it is going back to Amazon pronto.

Okay - let me confirm that this is just an external drive with an MicroSD slot... that's it. You are not going to do anything in the field with this at all unless you have a battery to port it. This is so dumb. Just got mine and it is going back to Amazon pronto.
What is DJI doing? It also requires a machine with USB-C. Not exactly mainstream? Nothing more than a name licensing money grab apparently. I hope this isn't an indication of the direction DJI is going now.

So Sad ☹️

Why is it sad. DJI have never cared about customer service and have thrown monkeys on telephones to deal with technical issues.
Move over DJI and let someone move in who knows about PROPER customer service and quality.

Why is it sad. DJI have never cared about customer service and have thrown monkeys on telephones to deal with technical issues.
Move over DJI and let someone move in who knows about PROPER customer service and quality.
I expected more from a company that has produced ground-breaking products. Customer service is something many companies do not do well ...

IMG_6221.JPGIMG_6222.JPGIMG_6225.JPG

I had to send this back immediately. I preordered it hoping there was no external power needed. You do need external power. And it's USB C. They give you a cable that USB C to USB C. Not many laptops have that yet. Bad move Seagate. The marketing for this says data transfer in the field... what a joke. That is pretty misleading. If I have to bring a brand new 2017 laptop with USB C on it... why would we need this? We don't.

I had to send this back immediately. I preordered it hoping there was no external power needed. You do need external power. And it's USB C. They give you a cable that USB C to USB C. Not many laptops have that yet. Bad move Seagate. The marketing for this says data transfer in the field... what a joke. That is pretty misleading. If I have to bring a brand new 2017 laptop with USB C on it... why would we need this? We don't.[/QUOTE]

I just read this DJI Fly Drive review and it says that it does not need an external power adapter. Yes, it is pretty stupid to include only Type-C cable. Most of the desktop PCs and TVs do not have such a connector :(

It does not need a power adapter like a 3.5" drive would, but that's not the point. The usual expectation for a drive with an integrated SD slot (and what would have actually been useful) is for the drive to incorporate a battery and be able to copy the card to the drive without a computer involved.
Seems everyone has agreed to mislead people on this one.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown