DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seagulls.

MavicKhan

Reactions
I live in beautiful Cascais, Portugal.

The beauty of the place and it's adjacent areas is one of the reasons I've been considering getting a drone for as long as I did.

Unfortunately, part of the picturesque qualities of the place relate to the fact that it is a fisherman's village.

As such, seagulls abound in quite large numbers and although they mainly fly around the small fishing port and marina they also dwell into town where they are becoming a serious health and noise problem, since they target the village's roofs as nesting grounds.

My first flight, early in the week, was conducted in a flattened large area well into the village, in some grounds where the old bull-fighting arena used to be, before it was torn down, some years ago.

It hasn't been decided what will go there next, so the area is well taken care of, very large and completely devoid of obstacles, so it seemed like an obvious place for my initial training.

Even there, as I ascended the Mavic into 40 or 50 meters, 3 to 4 seagulls appeared and they were circling it above, screeching like mad, in what were clearly "intimidating" poses for what they considered an "intruder".

I observed that, in spite of the maneuvering and noise, they didn't actually dare to come very close to the Mavic but it might have been because I was also cautionary-descending whenever they approached. They might have been satisfied with those "retreats".

About an hour ago, I went downtown near the mentioned small fishing port to check things out and try to continue my training with the Mavic as there are some beautiful buildings there in addition to the small fishing vessels, themselves, that I wanted to get aerial footage from.

As expected, the number of seagulls was in tune with the area and I wasn't brave enough to even get the Mavic out of the backpack.

I have seen some video footage and reports online and they seem to confirm that, although certainly prone to "intimidating passes", the birds do not actually attack the UAVs.

Still, I am thinking that they might always misjudge a pass and end up hitting the Mavic, an encounter that would not leave them in very good shape but would also certainly mean a lost drone.

Apart from the obvious input - "Don't fly with seagulls around" - what are your perspectives and/or experiences with birds, in general, and seagulls, in particular?

Thanks.

MK

Reactions: avanti1963
Don't yet have my Mavic, but I've scrambled quite a few birds with my Phantom. And by "scrambled" I meant to say I've scared them away. Once they get curios and start to circle me, I simply fly right at them. And, after having been chased, they tend to get the hell out of dodge, especially if said chase involved my drone ascending fast.

Then again, the Phantom is bigger and louder than the Mavic???

Yes...and it is white...

I've seen videos of "scare passes" by seagulls. Has anyone seen a video of an actual attack, one where the UAV was downed?

MK

After a significant number of flights not being able to completely (...sometimes not even remotely...) avoid seagulls, I am now in a position to further help the community about this subject.

Generally speaking, seagulls see the Mavic as an "intruder" who they think they will have to share food with, so they try to "intimidate" it flying circles around it and squawking.

However, they keep fairly safe distances and certainly don't seem brave enough to attack it.

Keep in mind that they tend to nest in high grounds, having a predilection for roof tops, so if they seem particularly excited while you're flying over one it is prudent to depart that particular area.

Also, they are prone to misjudgement as any other living animal, so the fact that they tend to keep a safe distance while on those intimidation patterns does not guarantee there won't be an accidental encounter.

Hope this helps.

MK

I've had seagulls fly at my Mavic, getting close enough for OA to kick in but never had a collision. I'll probably get flamed for this but it's good fun sneaking up to seagulls on the ground and then try chasing them as they fly off.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Just attach a real loud buzzer on your Mavic to scare them off. Make it sound like an angry hawk.

I have been flying my Mavic here in New Zealand for over a month now, often near the coast. I have certainly had some scary situations where larger gulls fly above the mavic and then descend in an attacking motion in some instances coming incredibly close, close enough for me to abort my flight in that area. I have read that ascending rapidly works and I have tried that with some success and if I can get to 120m they leave it alone however if it is windy and I am unable to ascend high enough they give chase and resume the attack when they can gain a height advantage. It definitely has been a real problem and has meant I have been unable to capture the footage I was after more than once spending all my time avoiding them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming