DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Second try

Trill136

Reactions
So today was the first time that I had a few minutes to try and fly my Mavic Pro. nickname = PITA.

Compass wouldn't calibrate even though it was in the same spot as the last little flight.

So, switch out of 'beginner" and take off anyway. Height was still limited but I am still getting used to the controls. As I could tell by my fifteen minutes of flight time involving one hard landing, two side-swipes resulting in being on the ground faster than normal.

But I am a little better.

No broken props yet!!! A little dirt on the landing gear, but still cool.

I might install the prop guards.

Video feed is still sketchy but I am only doing LOS anyway. I am going to grab the SD card and see how that looks.

Compass wouldn't calibrate even though it was in the same spot as the last little flight.

So, switch out of 'beginner" and take off anyway.

Why calibrate the compass? Then why fly with a bad calibration when it failed? Please RTFM.

192 flights in locations 500 miles apart. Never calibrated the compass because the drone hasn’t needed it. Never crashed due to a problem with the drone. Only crashed once due to unnoticed fine branches.

Turn on your landing protection. Don't calibrate your compass unless it asks for it. If it doesn't work, it is user error. Either you're close to some magnetic interference, or you're just not following directions. If it calls for a calibration, don't fly it. That's a great way to lose your drone.

I tried calibrating in a few different spots. I was only doing it because it was asked for.

I had switched out of 'beginner' to get it to take off. The couple of bumps were because I was trying to see how near I could fly to something stationary. Very little speed involved.

I will try the calibrating thing again tomorrow.

I found it strange that the first time, in the same spot, did not have any magnetic interference.

So today was the first time that I had a few minutes to try and fly my Mavic Pro. nickname = PITA.

So, switch out of 'beginner" and take off anyway. Height was still limited but I am still getting used to the controls. As I could tell by my fifteen minutes of flight time involving one hard landing, two side-swipes resulting in being on the ground faster than normal.

But I am a little better.

No broken props yet!!! A little dirt on the landing gear, but still cool.

I might install the prop guards.

Video feed is still sketchy but I am only doing LOS anyway. I am going to grab the SD card and see how that looks.
Well, I'm relatively new to drones and the MP myself. I did fixed wing RC as a kid, but as anyone who has switched from that to drones will tell you, there's a BIIIIG difference in control dynamics. I assume you know how to calibrate the compass, but you really shouldn't need to unless you get a warning message. The MP is quite sophisticated, and will tell you if it needs a calibration, usually. Sometimes it will complain if your drone is sitting on something metal, but not always. One thing to consider, if you are worried that the compass isn't correct, is to think about what is under the MP when you fire it up. You don't want to try to take off from, say, the top of a metal car, or a manhole cover, and if your MP is acting oddly, try taking off from a spot a few meters away. It's not unheard of to have a pipe right under where you have set the thing down. I have a cheap compass I bought at a sporting goods store. If my MP acts weird, I pull that thing out and pass it around the area. If there's metal underground, the needle will deviate slightly as it passes over the area. Also try not to take off with high powered electrical lines in the area. These are easy to identify because there's usually three lines running in parallel, one for each phase of the power. They have a pretty good halo of electromagnetic force around them which will definitely affect your compass. I also heard of someone trying to calibrate their compass on their bed, unsuccessfully. And a bed has what in it? Anyone? Class? Bueller? Bed springs. One thing I'd suggest as far as safety goes, is prop guards, at least while you're learning to control the thing. They're inexpensive, and save you from shattering or cracking props, and they also fend off most fuselage contact, unless you are unfortunate enough to drive your drone right into a small pole or a cable that fits between the guards. Some people actually tie a bit of fishing line between the ends of the prop guards to cover that vulnerable area. You'll see it occasionally on YouTube demos. I don't do that, but I'm at the age where I drive AND fly very slowly.

Since I wasn't flying more than 20' high and only about 20' in any direction, the compass thing didn't really worry me. I was in my back yard and am surrounded by a thick hedge about 40' high. I figure the worst would've been digging it out of the cedar hedge.
I have a set of guards so I will install them next.
I have been using a piece of white fibreglass, about 2' square, as a take off/landing spot. It is just sitting on the ground.
I guess I can take the little guy out for a drive and find some spot a bit more open.

thx

Since I wasn't flying more than 20' high and only about 20' in any direction, the compass thing didn't really worry me. I was in my back yard and am surrounded by a thick hedge about 40' high. I figure the worst would've been digging it out of the cedar hedge.
I have a set of guards so I will install them next.
I have been using a piece of white fibreglass, about 2' square, as a take off/landing spot. It is just sitting on the ground.
I guess I can take the little guy out for a drive and find some spot a bit more open.

thx

Man... You could damage the camera from small crashes, you could damage the Gimbal, heck we have seen cameras completely broken off from small crashes. The props are the last thing you should be worried about, even with the plastic camera protector.. We have seen people who have had to get the folding arms replaced from small crashes.. Any crash is a bad crash.

Well, probably over stated the crash aspect. More like inconvenient touch downs. No speed involved and very little height.
I am considering that my storage location may not be the best re: the compass.
I have all my hobby stuff in one area. As a result there is a fair amount of cameras, electronics, fishing gear, shooting stuff all crowded into one spot.
I wonder if this could have an effect on the Mav's compass.

Where you store your drone is irrelevant. Mine is stored with camera gear in a room full of IT equipment and normally moved larger distances in a car.
If, where and what you are wearing while you calibrate your drone is more important. The change in your pockets or the buckle of your belt are enough to upset a compass calibration. Even when my drone asks for calibration I move the drone and check the compass status again. Never needed to calibrate it’s compass in a year of ownership.

I know that I have a fair bit of metal around me. I am taking the little guy out into the countryside to give it a try as far from "stuff" as possible. And, I will be sure to get rid of the extra metal. The thought had crossed my mind originally but I did not think it would make that difference.
I will know better in an hour or two.
thanks

Well, probably over stated the crash aspect. More like inconvenient touch downs. No speed involved and very little height.
I am considering that my storage location may not be the best re: the compass.
I have all my hobby stuff in one area. As a result there is a fair amount of cameras, electronics, fishing gear, shooting stuff all crowded into one spot.
I wonder if this could have an effect on the Mav's compass.
Just to note on the storage problem. I found out the hard way not to store it near big speakers. Screwed my compass up.

I have read the manuals, and have them as pdfs.
The reader I use has a search function - my fav.

I must be slower than most. I sure find it different to read something and then go outside and fly something. A very new experience for me.

I am more used to big, loud, bang, crash, grind, etc. Not much finesse in my work. My last "nice" camera used film, most of my pics now are taken with my phone!!

I am taking this a bit slower because it is, for me, so different.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre