DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(semi) continuous autofocus and hunting

Frits

Reactions
The recent app update addressed the complaints concerning focus at start-up. Well done DJI but I dislike that in autofocus the only option is semi-continuous auto-focus, meaning that it will re-focus frequently without any user control. There are instances that this will result in ugly hunting, rendering the footage useless (yes, it may be subtle but it is there).
Manual focus is something I am not interested in.
I understand and appreciate that DJI reacted to the complaints of having to set the auto-focus point, but the fix is over-done. I just would like to have auto-focus-on-command, like in previous versions (which was fine for me). Should be easy to implement (manual, single-autofocus, continuous autofocus).

Frits

It appears that the autofocus reacts when one slows thier Mavic Pro and points at a target. As long as the Mavic is moving in a direction at a fair rate of speed it does not appear to hunt. So as a temporary work around one would need to maintain momentum. I hope they (DJI) address this as well. Perhaps with a slider that controls the amount of autofocus emphasis . So if one did not want it to hunt for focus then slide it all the way down and if one wanted lots of assistance with autofocus then slide it all the way up for a more aggressive intervention.

Is this something that needs to be enabled? I've updated but don't see any change - always blury unless you tap to focus. thanks.

Reactions: SwissJim
Is this something that needs to be enabled? I've updated but don't see any change - always blury unless you tap to focus. thanks.

Are you running the latest firmware? Are you on android or ios. I'm running the latest and in android and I see the focus hunting

I understand and appreciate that DJI reacted to the complaints of having to set the auto-focus point, but the fix is over-done. I just would like to have auto-focus-on-command, like in previous versions (which was fine for me). Should be easy to implement (manual, single-autofocus, continuous autofocus).
Frits

Yeah, I haven't posted about this yet because I couldn't believe DJI would be so utterly brain dead as to "fix" an annoying forgot to focus problem - which you soon learned to avoid - with a permanent hunting for focus which ruins the video and that we can't turn off!!

I am also not interested in stuffing around with manual focus on a tiny iPhone screen which has every control overlay stuffed onto it by the app.

Here's a simple suggestion DJI, how about a voice prompt just after take off - "remember to tap to focus". That's all we need.

While we're at it, how about setting video record on as default and giving us the option to toggle it if we want. SD cards are pretty cheap - forgetting to press record is way often more expensive.

Yeah, I haven't posted about this yet because I couldn't believe DJI would be so utterly brain dead as to "fix" an annoying forgot to focus problem - which you soon learned to avoid - with a permanent hunting for focus which ruins the video and that we can't turn off!!

I am also not interested in stuffing around with manual focus on a tiny iPhone screen which has every control overlay stuffed onto it by the app.

Here's a simple suggestion DJI, how about a voice prompt just after take off - "remember to tap to focus". That's all we need.

While we're at it, how about setting video record on as default and giving us the option to toggle it if we want. SD cards are pretty cheap - forgetting to press record is way often more expensive.
I had a detailed discussion with DJI's Ken (in another forum) about the above. In conclusion he stated that he has filed the internal request to include single-tap auto focus again, although he could not make any promises.

Then what good is he? (Not meant as a disparaging remark)
Is an approachable and helpful contact between customers and the design team. Personally I like that.

Is an approachable and helpful contact between customers and the design team. Personally I like that.
Oh for sure. I just meant that it looks like he may not have any influence with DJI.

Reactions: Frits
Oh for sure. I just meant that it looks like he may not have any influence with DJI.
I believe he does have a real influence but just no decision making powers.

Are you running the latest firmware? Are you on android or ios. I'm running the latest and in android and I see the focus hunting

Ahh - I had an old version of Go 4 on the android phone from the P4 - updated and in my limited testing - its MUCH better this way. Everything is sharp in focus always.

So - the fix was in the DJI Go 4 app - and I think I had to tap once to activate this feature - only after tapping did it bring up the Center box with AF written on it.

I didn't get much time to try it - have to wait until Hurricane Barbara that's happening in my area to pass... :)

If its not suitable for your needs - there was an option in the menu to tap for metering or focus... maybe that would disable it? Or you could use a previous version of Go app of Go (non 4 version) until its an option?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor