DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what is continuous auto focus?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm aware that a half-press of the camera button focuses on the center but have no clue what the "continuous auto focus" update is in the recent firmware update. The manual doesn't mention it. A little help here?

The update notes mention continuous autofocus for video. I'd expect that means it no longer locks focus at the start of the video but rather continuously focuses, so if something comes close to the drone it will try to maintain focus on that while recording video

Reactions: KLRSKIR and Torque
Exactly, turn the darn thing off if you don't want ruined video.
Can anyone see how to enable/disable it? Found the function to put the controller at the centre of the radar but can't find the AFC option. Just AF or MF when I tap the icon. Hope it's not always on!

Can anyone see how to enable/disable it? Found the function to put the controller at the centre of the radar but can't find the AFC option. Just AF or MF when I tap the icon. Hope it's not always on!
Photo mode or video mode?

I see no control on my drone for continual auto focus

It's fairly common for phone cameras and the like to have continuous AF on during video recording. If you don't want it to do that then the usual work around is to switch to manual focus.

Having an option to set focus once at the start of recording and then lock might be nice, but it's not that common.

Exposure is usually constantly adjusted during recording too. To lock exposure you just set it to manual, much the same as for focus.

It's fairly common for phone cameras and the like to have continuous AF on during video recording. If you don't want it to do that then the usual work around is to switch to manual focus.

Having an option to set focus once at the start of recording and then lock might be nice, but it's not that common.

Exposure is usually constantly adjusted during recording too. To lock exposure you just set it to manual, much the same as for focus.
Yes you can set focus to manual, but the way AF worked before was fine. You focused and locked once. When DJI have implemented AFC before they've allowed a three way toggle between MF, AF and AFC. This is what I'd hoped to see.

Reactions: johnmont250
On the M2P I always use auto to set the focus at the start of the clip then switch to manual. For most of what we do with drones with such a wide angle lens, the hyperlocal distance is around 10', so 10' to infinity are in focus. Refocusing while filming is not necessary and as said above, there's a high likelihood it will see a low contrast area, hunt and ruin the part of the clip.

I.e it will now occasionally focus hunt when everything was actually fine and ruin your footage 🤪
This. I don't see the need for continuous AF when the subject is pretty much always at infinity focus.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15