DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shark Tank Drone School

jareed85

Reactions
Did anyone see the drone school that got funded on Shark Tank? What are your thoughts on the necessity of having in person instructions vs an online tutorial. It seemed like they had classes for both hobbyist as well as professional (I'm assuming part 107) pilots. Just curious if I should be considering taking in person classes in order to pass part 107.

Just curious if I should be considering taking in person classes in order to pass part 107.
Most people are having good success using the free FAA Part 107 resources and relatively inexpensive online courses. I have a list of those items here.

Reactions: JLeePhoto
I have a friend who teaches for Dart Drones, the company that was on Shark Tank. They teach recreational users how to fly and enjoy (enjoy being the most important part) but they were looking for additional investors to expand their customer base to include more governmental and commercial customers. Thats where the real money for them will be.

Most instructors that work for Dart are full scale pilots as well, and you can learn alot from them in an 8 hour $400 lesson. They teach safety and control first, then regulations, and then piloting and cinematography.

Is it required for a new drone owner to take the course? No. Do I recommend it? 100% yes or get a mentor or friend who is a safe drone pilot to show you the ropes. There are so many aspects to drone ownership, operation, and enjoyment, aside from the commercial aspects. So if I was going to start an aerial photography business, I would start with them, learn to fly, learn to shoot, then if youre still interested in the business end, they will help you with the 107 part.

Is there a place where you can sell your pilot services after obtaining Part 107 or training from Dart Drones? I see some sites where you can try to find posted job listings, but there seem to be so many options. Is there a specific site that is preferred for listing your services and finding jobs?

I saw it... Thought it was a smart idea. $400 class is cheaper than replacing a $1000 drone. While many of us pick it up after a few hours and some scuffles with trees that don't tend to cause harm... Other people don't have that ability.

I see the big money coming from govt. and commercial use. These drones are going to become very valuable in the coming years. Govt. and companies will pay this all day long to educate, train and ultimately pad insurance and liability numbers with a certification.

Im a cheapy myself and am using the online resources to study for my Part 107 . Then I will download the app that allows one to take sample tests and see thier scores.

One of the most tested upon areas is the sectional charts and there is about 1/3rd of the Part 107 exam devoted to scenarios involving being able to read and understand a sectional chart.

Obtaining a personal articles policy with ones insurance company goes along way to relieve the stress of having to cover 1 grand if one does not grasp the ability to fly one's Mavic Pro or other drone.

My target market will be the Real Estate crowd as I am becoming an agent myself and can market it directly to other agencies and network that way.

My target market will be the Real Estate crowd as I am becoming an agent myself and can market it directly to other agencies and network that way.

Will you be marketing your services yourself or trying to use one of the web based services like the ones mentioned above. I'm trying to figure out if I can monetize my hobby, and maybe make my wife a bit more excited about my purchase :)

Will you be marketing your services yourself or trying to use one of the web based services like the ones mentioned above. I'm trying to figure out if I can monetize my hobby, and maybe make my wife a bit more excited about my purchase :)

Well my goal is to begin using my drone to do exterior shots and potentially interior shots of people selling thier homes. Then develop a portfolio of work that will be uploaded to a website that prospective clients can view. That can all be done WITHOUT a Part 107 . Its only when you monetize those pictures and resources that you become "commercial" as you are expecting payment for services.

Then I can network with other real estate offices , agents, and brokers to show them my body of work.

If they would like to pay / compensate for similar services then that's where one must be Part 107 certified.

One could approach any real estate office today and ask if they have homes that they would like photographed to be listed and provide that service for free. The transition into a paid gig with Part 107 and some business cards preferably in hand.

That is a really cool approach, I like how it can build a personal network while getting Part 107 in order. It would be awesome to find a site that would be the "go to" for real estate agents who need photos to help speed up the process of building a customer network. Maybe like tinder for your drone haha.

Yup. No need to be linear with the approach and one can multitask. Building the relationships is key.

I hope that your wish does not come true until I have market myself as the go to guy for Real Estate Drone photography. :p Dont need other people that want to suck up my customers . :) LOL.

Well it looks like you are from nor-cal so we can split the state, you take north and I'll take south :) Good luck in your ventures, thanks for the good insight!

One could approach any real estate office today and ask if they have homes that they would like photographed to be listed and provide that service for free.
That's a commercial operation since the listing agents would be using your photos/videos to make money. You should check with the FAA if you have any doubts though.

That's a commercial operation since the listing agents would be using your photos/videos to make money. You should check with the FAA if you have any doubts though.

Good point!

I personally would not be deriving any monetary compensation nor be in a formal business agreement to provide the images/ video (essentially a "gift") so I wonder how that would be handled. Good question for the FAA.

Just sent this question in "
If a hobby drone flyer that has registered thier drone through the standard FAA process and labeled it accordingly were to fly said drone meeting all FAA posted guidelines and requirements. Would the hobby flyer be able to take pictures that were to be "gifted" to a real estate agency or individual real estate agent for use in thier marketing and sales of residential real estate without needing to obtain a Part 107 license ?

My question is related to not having a formal business established that would provide this service and no monetary gain by hobby flyer that provides picture free of charge to a real estate professional."

I am waiting with baited breath for thier response. :)

This should be interesting. I will post up with exact response once received.

I personally would not be deriving any monetary compensation nor be in a formal business agreement
Right -- someone is still making money though. If you take videos/photos for the listed houses and just ask the listing agents to critique your work (and not use it), then all would be okay.

Just received a reply from UASHelp.faa.gov email address. Here is what was sent in the email as a response

"
Thank you for your inquiry. If the operation does not strictly meet the definition of hobby or recreational then it must be conducted under Part 107. If the intention of the UAS operator is not purely recreational, then it would not qualify under those regulations. More information about Part 107 is available here: Fly for Work/Business.

Regards,

FAA UAS Integration Office
Unmanned Aircraft Systems
"

It appears that the definition of hobby or recreational flight is what would be subject to "interpretation" by the FAA.

I am concerned that their definition may not be the same as my own and in order to save time and expense pleading a case that may ultimately not be decided in my favor it makes more prudent sense to just obtain the Part 107 and not have the concern.

You've already admitted your intentions are not purely recreational. You want to produce free content that will be used to help someone else make money now and later used by you as a portfolio to make money at some point down the road.

Reactions: mavicrag
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EwaKrzyzanowska