DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shoot it down comment

Aerofoil

Reactions
Last week i was driving back from france via Eurotunnel.

You have to wait in queuing lanes to go down to the train (just incase you haven't done it)

There was a bunch of guys driving Caterham cars and one of them *might be on here you never know) deployed his Mavic over the lanes of cars, he was flying over the lanes getting some footage for his trip story i guess.

He hovered over one of the lanes maybe 3 or 4 mtrs high and filmed cars (including anyone else) as they drove under it.

I didn't really pay to much attention to it but a lady who was with a Porsche group happened to complain to another Porsche driver about it, she was upset it was flying "so close" to her car. while the two of them discussed what should be done and that surely it was a security risk, another Porsche driver stated that somebody should shoot it down.

I did feel afterwards i should have said something clever to him like "im sure firing a gun in this area would be more of a security issue than flying a drone"

That got me thinking about the general public's view of drones, there are as we see in the press incidents involving drones and aircraft "near miss" on a very regular basis and responsible drone flyers are going to have an uphill battle against the general masses who will be wanting drones banned.

Reactions: geigy
To be fair, if I was lucky enough to own a Porsche, I'm pretty sure it would be very much be something I would cherish. And to see something akin to a hovering house brick close enough to pose a real threat of damage to my car would get me a little irate too. I love my Mavic but am very conscious about where I fly it, and that episode you described sounds a bit Casey Neistat to me.

Reactions: Capra Vecinului
There was a bunch of guys driving Caterham cars and one of them *might be on here you never know) deployed his Mavic over the lanes of cars, he was flying over the lanes getting some footage for his trip story i guess.

He hovered over one of the lanes maybe 3 or 4 mtrs high and filmed cars (including anyone else) as they drove under it.

Flying that close over vehicles and people isn't allowed in France any more than it is in the UK, so people were quite within thier rights to be upset, but obviously not within their rights to shoot it down...

I'd also be surprised if the area was not a no-fly zone, but I haven't checked.

Flying that close over vehicles and people isn't allowed in France any more than it is in the UK, so people were quite within thier rights to be upset, but obviously not within their rights to shoot it down...

I'd also be surprised if the area was not a no-fly zone, but I haven't checked.

I also thought it might be a no fly zone so i checked on the maps of folkestone and its not showing on the DJI one.

I also thought it might be a no fly zone so i checked on the maps of folkestone and its not showing on the DJI one.

Thanks for that.

Either way though 3-4m over vehicles and people not under your control isn't permitted, so it was a dumb place to fly...

Reactions: Derlisz
Oh how I wish every one scared of drones peeping in their window would have to watch this video and then they could see the difference between someone just flying around and someone trying to spy on them.

To be fair, if I was lucky enough to own a Porsche, I'm pretty sure it would be very much be something I would cherish. And to see something akin to a hovering house brick close enough to pose a real threat of damage to my car would get me a little irate too. I love my Mavic but am very conscious about where I fly it, and that episode you described sounds a bit Casey Neistat to me.

I'm in the Porsche owners club. If someone other than me had a drone over my car I'd hit it with a bat. I love my car and my drone but don't fly over me at 3-4 feet. I've no clue how you look after your drone and if you can even fly it!! We do events all the time and I use my drone in them BUT only in the correct circumstances. Some of the rarer cars are simply irreplaceable. To have it damaged by a cheap brick in the air would be your worst nightmare.
Your mate should've stuck to the Carerhams.!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle