DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I Fly?

SkeeterHarris

Reactions
Hi everyone,

So tomorrow my Mavic is due and being located in Upstate, NY and as luck would have it we are getting some snow. Mind you today there was about 2 inches, tomorrow the forecast is about the same with some snow and overcast.

So here's the question - would you take out your new Mavic in these conditions. Oh I do have a brand new helipad that I got thanks to various videos etc from RcGeEk.

8a840d5ed830ce985e0bd8fc04a10892.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Tough call. As it turns out they are pretty sensitive to moisture and have behaved poorly in snow, light fog etc. I'd test it out with a simple, *very* local flight - as in right over your head and see how it goes. I'm in Idaho and see lots of snow. I wait for the clear days but still have to launch from snowy ground. I lay down carpeting so the mavic doesn't have to land in snow plus I've marked the carpet with a black marker so there is contrast. Good luck!

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
There is a thread on here of a guy who crashed in cold damp conditions and after some study by the experts here, it was determined that the crash was caused by prop icing. Fortunately, he was low to the ground and didn't destroy his Mavic.

Hi everyone,

So tomorrow my Mavic is due and being located in Upstate, NY and as luck would have it we are getting some snow. Mind you today there was about 2 inches, tomorrow the forecast is about the same with some snow and overcast.

So here's the question - would you take out your new Mavic in these conditions. Oh I do have a brand new helipad that I got thanks to various videos etc from RcGeEk.

8a840d5ed830ce985e0bd8fc04a10892.jpg

Don't fly. Especially for a first flight.

I won't advise one way or the other, but I will tell you I have flown in single digits F, in dry air with no issues whatsoever. I've also flown in teens F, with snow falling, for a short period, also with no issues.

If you do, keep your flight close and short, check your props often, and make sure your sensors are clean, and clear of snow. I, personally turn my sensors off (downward and forward) when visibility - or lighting - is questionable, but again, that would have to be a decision you would need to make after doing your research and understanding all the possible ramifications.

Thanks to everyone that gave me thoughts and advice about tomorrow. So the temp tomorrow is forecasted in the 30's F with a little snow. If I do decided to take the Mavic up I'll do it right out my back door in an open field and keep it in beginner mode and stay close to the ground.

A lot will depend on what time FedEx shows up with the Mavic, and once I get the battery and controller charged and tested. I've already made the decision that I will NOT try to fly this thing in the house, to me that's just asking for a problem with no experience with this drone.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you have no experience I would not fly it in that weather.
Play with the simulator for a couple of hours first and then make sure you understand what you need to do in case of an emergency.

30s F with light snow doesn't sound that bad to me. I would wait for a time when the snow is very light and try a careful flight. You can also do a test flight after upgrading etc indoors (carefully of course).

Move south.... Right now.

There's nothing good about winter that can't be experienced by 1 week vacation if you absolutely NEED to experience it. I speak from experience being a gulf south native trapped in the frozen tundra I call Pennsylvania. Winter/"I love seasons" is a **** lie people in the North tell themselves to feel better about losing 25%+ of their lives to @#&!! cold! Go south young man, while you can.

I was in the same position, as mine arrived today. Before I could get it out of the box and charged, the snow was falling-
After charging and set up- I did a VERY short flight out the front door- 20' out and 20' up.....and then home-
Will wait and see what tomorrows weather is like before really taking off

yes you can fly it. But have you ever flown a drone before? I f not, then I would say no. But can the Mavic fly okay? yes , it will fly no problem. But can you fly it? I have no idea.... just go beginner mode and be careful. You should be ok.

To echo what Harfordhawk just mentioned, spend some time reading the manual and learning the menus and commands before you take it up. I received my Mavic 5 days ago, and spent the weekend studying the manual and powering it up and connecting the controller (no flight) in my house.

I've taken two flights so far. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, so both flights were in the mid-20's temps. Today was quite windy, and I did receive a wind warning on my iPad screen. I could clearly hear the Mavic battling the 14mph wind to maintain a steady hover a few hundred feet up. All in all, no problem with the cold or wind so far.

Hey, haven't any of you guys read the Mavic manual? :)

I remember it explicitly saying that the operating temperature of the drone is 32 F to 104 F. So the official DJI answer would seem to be "No", you should not be flying the drone under these conditions.

(See "Operating Temperature in the specs at this link: Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads ).

Where in upstate? I'm near Saratoga... And no don't fly tomorrow. Several have experienced icing on the props in weather like ours....

Where in upstate? I'm near Saratoga... And no don't fly tomorrow. Several have experienced icing on the props in weather like ours....

I'm in Rochester, NY and these are all great points. The last thing I want to do regardless of who excited I am to get the Mavic would be to crash or loose it on its first flight.

I'm in Rochester, NY and these are all great points. The last thing I want to do regardless of who excited I am to get the Mavic would be to crash or loose it on its first flight.

I am in Brockport. I've done a few short flights in the cold weather. I had her out yesterday in Niagara County in the snow. No issues at all!

yes you can fly it. But have you ever flown a drone before? I f not, then I would say no. But can the Mavic fly okay? yes , it will fly no problem. But can you fly it? I have no idea.... just go beginner mode and be careful. You should be ok.

Thanks for the input and yes I owned a parrot drone that they sold at Brookstone that they sold for $300 and had fun with it before it ultimately would charge. So definitely not my first drone.

Well good morning FedEx is reporting the Mavic is out for delivery and the sun is out today. Temps are going to be around 36 and we got another light dusting of snow with winds reporting at 3mph.

So depending on time of day it arrives and I can make sure I'm ready I'm use my helipad to take off and land and do a very low key short first flight.

I've read through the manual twice and watch pretty much every video I could find on both DJI and YouTube about flying the Mavic.

ad7a8d6ccf521da8093dba0c6c12eed6.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki