DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I just use Litchi?

brad12d3

Reactions
So I just ordered a Mavic Pro yesterday and decided to start browsing the forums. I have come across a number of threads talking about how poorly the Go 4 App runs on android. I have a Google Pixel XL that I was planning to use with it. Should I even mess with the DJI Go app, or just buy Litchi? I plan to use this for some commercial work and I really can't afford crashing apps while I'm working.

Try it with DJI GO and see how it runs. If you want a device that's guaranteed not to crash, then pick up one of the Apple devices listed here.

I know I'm totally picking nits, but just to be absolutely clear, no devices are guaranteed not to crash. The iOS devices @msinger helpfully linked are your best bet for reliability, and many people have used them without ever having a crash.

However, don't take the word "guarantee" literally, as none exists.

Reactions: HarryMerkin
Another option: Hangar Autopilot
I have been using this app for ~3.5 months with no issues and very good performance.

Here is a previous thread about this app. This thread contains links to another thread with many insightful comments. After reading this thread, my takeaway is that Autopilot has feature advantages but lacks a desktop app for creating the flight. I use an iPad to plan my flights and sync the flight plan to my iPhone.

Here is an example of a waypoint flight I am doing today. This flight is for a city street renewal project. I am completely happy with this software!

Trees2 route.PNG

One thing to be clear on especially for someone new to the Mavic is that DJI will not cover devices that are using 3rd party apps.

Reactions: dbyantis and AyeYo
I've read the same, and the exact opposite. What is your reference?

Straight from the DJI refresh list of exclusions in their terms of service.

11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.

11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.

Yes, it is reasonable not to cover damage caused by use of a third party "thing". There would need to be some evidence that the third party app was responsible for the damage, if not then it should be covered.

My understanding is that it is against federal law to refuse a warranty claim for use of a third party accessory, unless it can be shown that the third party accessory is what caused the problem.

Yes, it is reasonable not to cover damage caused by use of a third party "thing". There would need to be some evidence that the third party app was responsible for the damage, if not then it should be covered.

My understanding is that it is against federal law to refuse a warranty claim for use of a third party accessory, unless it can be shown that the third party accessory is what caused the problem.

First let me say I really love my Mavic, but from many threads I have seen, it would seem that DJI has a real issue with covering their drones and seems you have to pull teeth even if you can prove its the devices fault. With that said, I would lean to trying the DJI GO app first, (since its free anyhow) and if you have issues with a few test flights, then try Litchi. your call.

One thing to be clear on especially for someone new to the Mavic is that DJI will not cover devices that are using 3rd party apps.
Also, many off those OTHER APPS only run on Apple to start with so if you have apple device then you dont need other apps.

Try it with DJI GO and see how it runs. If you want a device that's guaranteed not to crash, then pick up one of the Apple devices listed here.
except for the Iphone 7 & 7+ until they find the problem with gps tracking.... nown issue for a whyle but no resolution at all for the moment.

followed this list to buy the best phone for it but encountered a massive trouble with the tracking mode.... be aware of it... the list should be revised and any iPhone 7 reference taken off..

Reactions: Jerry
except for the Iphone 7 & 7+ until they find the problem with gps tracking
Which known issue are you referring to?

Definitely worth giving the Go 4 app a trial at least. I'm using a Samsung S6, and, so far, haven't experienced a single glitch or crash. After hearing all of the negativity towards Android devices, I genuinely expected to be making the switch to IOS. Luckily, I haven't had to.

Official DJI Store

"Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthenticated third-party parts."

Litchi is covered as it uses the licensed Dji APK

I received the Mavic in early January and have used litchi with no issues .

Reactions: Jerry
I like DJI Go. It does everything well. Once i learn it thoroughly I may try another.

I've never had a crashing or app issues with Go4 on Android. Try it first. Litchi has plenty of its own issues.

Thanks for all the responses. Just got it today, so I will test the DJI Go app first and get an Ipad if I have trouble.

Reactions: MavicMoira
Which known issue are you referring to?
There is several post here about changing home point to pilot for tracking with the iphone 7 that doesnt work "weak gps"
It is a iphone 7 known issue google " iphone 7 gps" you will find.
Dji go 4 and orher software are impacted (waze etc)

Defenetly iphone 7 should not be on the list of recommended hardware with a yellow and green dot....

I've read the same, and the exact opposite. What is your reference?
I ask DJI and recieved this reply:"
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

With your concern, if in your last flight you are using a third party app and your unit crashed, you will need to send the unit to our facility for repair. But once the unit has been evaluated and there is no way to retrieve your flight record since you are using a third party app you will be charge for the repair for the unit since there are no basis to check your flight record to see if this is a pilot error or unit malfunction." So I choose not to risk my investment with a garage shop coder.

Reactions: yd0nxx
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78