DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Side Obstacle Avoidance ?

scott rand

Reactions
I wonder why they didn’t add side obstacle avoidance to the Air as well. I believe the Phantom 4 Pro has obstacle avoidance on all 4 sides, Would’ve liked obstacle avoidance on all 4 of the Air. Any thoughts ? Besides cost ? Maybe they think APAS covers the sides via digital mapping ?

Reactions: Former Member
Side obstacle avoidance is a neat feature of the P4P, but it only works in beginner/tripod mode. If it's a feature of the Mavic Pro 2 and it's implemented in the same way, I'm not sure it'll be usable in most flying situations.

It's a bit odd how DJI has implemented obstacle avoidance across the different lines MA = front, rear, downward, MP = front, downward, P4P = front, rear, sides, downward, I2 = front, downward, upward.

One thing i've been curious with the MA is how long the digital map it's creating is held in memory and tracked. If it senses something on the front sensors then later on it encounters that same obstacle but coming from it's side does it know it's still there? I'm assuming it can still smack an object from the side especially boomerang or orbit modes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman