DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skydio 2 - pre-orders open at $999 US Only so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I had an interesting conversation with CASA a few years ago about autonomous an rules around it. At that time autonomous flight and autonomous drones were not permitted. (Without special provisions). My question then was when was a drone considered autonomous. When it was flying autonomously, or if it had the ability to fly autonomously.
Crazily enough (i guess this was around 2010ish) , if our platform had the ability to fly autonomously, it was not permitted, except in designated area, of which our closest at that time was Kingaroy. So if we flew locally, we had to remove the autonomous system even if it wasn’t being used. (This was a fixed wing drone).
I now look at what can be bought off the shelf and what can be done and chuckle to myself. I also see that the definition of autonomous has greatly changed

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yea I had an interesting conversation with CASA a few years ago about autonomous an rules around it. At that time autonomous flight and autonomous drones were not permitted. (Without special provisions). My question then was when was a drone considered autonomous. When it was flying autonomously, or if it had the ability to fly autonomously.
Crazily enough (i guess this was around 2010ish) , if our platform had the ability to fly autonomously, it was not permitted, except in designated area, of which our closest at that time was Kingaroy. So if we flew locally, we had to remove the autonomous system even if it wasn’t being used. (This was a fixed wing drone).
I now look at what can be bought off the shelf and what can be done and chuckle to myself. I also see that the definition of autonomous has greatly changed

It depends on how the autonomy works. Technology has gone really far and they machine learn with Supercomputers that they end up using the data processed from them. NVidia uses deep learning for games to figure out ways on how to get better frame rates with the new RT cores so gamers, in the beginning, will see lower frame rates but later on have higher.

They most likely have perfected the ways on how to ensure things will be detected but perhaps it won't work in low-light situations. The real tests would show what happens at night and what warnings will be picked up.

I wasn't planning on getting the controller and the beacon but considering how Backed up the preorders are I might as well. The only thing that could go wrong is requiring the servers to be online to be able to use it. If the company gets hit by an asteroid we are stuck with nothing more than a paperweight.

It depends on how the autonomy works. Technology has gone really far and they machine learn with Supercomputers that they end up using the data processed from them.
Yep that was my point.
The technology is moving very quick and law makers are always playing catchup

That’s very impressive tracking

Many have missed this video. Filmed with skydio 1 almost 2 years ago

I saw this video already right after it was published, and considered buying it at the time. Then something else happened, and I had to focus on others priorities. But now with the V2.0 I'm back to pondering about buying that bird.

However, like many on here, I think this time I'm going to wait until people starts receiving/trying that drone and see how it truly handle.

Yep that was my point.
The technology is moving very quick and law makers are always playing catchup
They've ruined a lot of crypto decisions back in late 2017. Saying you have to pay tax, crypto dumped early 2018, now what?

Anyone can sell the Skydio 2 ,Please contact with me, I can pay for $1500 . Thank you !

Looks promising, but it's a non folding unit, which is a deal breaker for me, at least for a traveling drone. If they make a folder like the Mavic series I'd be interested.

Looks promising, but it's a non folding unit, which is a deal breaker for me, at least for a traveling drone. If they make a folder like the Mavic series I'd be interested.
For my folding drones, Mavic and Anafi, I end up using a hard case that is about the same size as the Skydio case. I tried the soft bag that came with the Mavic but it has no place for a tablet or other accessories. For me, the Skydio not folding may be an advantage. It should be quicker to set up and no hinges to wear out.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Portability kind of bums me out for a drone that's main focus is following action. I take my Mavic Air out in the backcountry with dirtbikes and snowmobiles frequently, pretty much what sold me on the Mavic Air was portability factor. Basically I put two hard cases one for drone, other for controller in my backpack and go. But the follow capabilities overshadow the portability for me. I'm so tired of struggling with Active Track when I'm out filming solo and initial videos look soo good in places that DJI follow me fails miserably so I'm 100% in. Man I used to carry a huge square pack with some 50lbs of droneness in it back in 2015-16. All day long, riding 60 some miles. So exhausting! So somewhere in the middle won't bother me too much.

This drone new drone just like DJI when it was launched will come with good and very bad reviews. Just watch and see the complaints that the users will have about this drone. Is it really made 100% on the US or are they importing everything from you know where, CHINA, and only assembling it here in the US?

As a US based company, I am surprised it is not way too expensive just because of that, but I am sure the cost will be crazy high bu the time they show you accessories that you must buy to have the drone working very well.

I don't know much about that drone but it sure has a lot of work to do to be able to compete well with DJI. I mean, having a drone is not all about it flying by itself. The act of actually controlling your drone is one of the top reasons of ownership satisfaction.

Well, for a drone that is already sold out, well, I hope they do have a good department for warranty like DJI for returns, crashes, repairs and all sorts. That is where we will see the users true colors come out and see where DJI sets itself. Trust me, that department will be the busiest at that company when they start shopping those drones out. And guess what? They are in such a rush now with production to meet demand that I can almost guarantee they will have a recall since they are rushing the drones now through productions line hence skipping on quality control.

DJI is like Toyota. It is top on sales. That is enough. Watch out for that Skydio when it comes out with hidden fees and crazy cost for accessories and warranty.

To be number 1 in the drone industry is no joke. DJI is number 1. Let us see how they deal with customers who can never be satisfied and who will be the first to bash the drone on their forum. I cannot wait to start reading those stories of runaway skydios or skydouches.

I will be enjoying my Mavic 2 Pro and watching.

This drone new drone just like DJI when it was launched will come with good and very bad reviews. Just watch and see the complaints that the users will have about this drone. Is it really made 100% on the US or are they importing everything from you know where, CHINA, and only assembling it here in the US?

As a US based company, I am surprised it is not way too expensive just because of that, but I am sure the cost will be crazy high bu the time they show you accessories that you must buy to have the drone working very well.

I don't know much about that drone but it sure has a lot of work to do to be able to compete well with DJI. I mean, having a drone is not all about it flying by itself. The act of actually controlling your drone is one of the top reasons of ownership satisfaction.

Well, for a drone that is already sold out, well, I hope they do have a good department for warranty like DJI for returns, crashes, repairs and all sorts. That is where we will see the users true colors come out and see where DJI sets itself. Trust me, that department will be the busiest at that company when they start shopping those drones out. And guess what? They are in such a rush now with production to meet demand that I can almost guarantee they will have a recall since they are rushing the drones now through productions line hence skipping on quality control.

DJI is like Toyota. It is top on sales. That is enough. Watch out for that Skydio when it comes out with hidden fees and crazy cost for accessories and warranty.

To be number 1 in the drone industry is no joke. DJI is number 1. Let us see how they deal with customers who can never be satisfied and who will be the first to bash the drone on their forum. I cannot wait to start reading those stories of runaway skydios or skydouches.

The Skydio 2.0 is an autonomous selfie camera; it does not compete with the Mavic lines IMO. The company has already proven to the world the UAS does exactly what they claim it can when they released Skydio 1.0; keep you in frame autonomously through almost any terrain.

I don't have a need for the Skydio 2.0 but I do welcome a new player in the quadcopter/UAS game on DJI's level in terms of technology. I'd love to see them make a UAS that competes with DJI's Mavic line and beats them in their own game.

Competion benefits us, the consumer, above all.

The Verge: Skydio has a motorized charging box to make its self-flying drone truly autonomous.

Oh my....
I'm going to stick one of these under my car

Of course as always, the future always catches up with my projects within a couple years...
DroneDJ: Ford patents drone that flies out of trunk in case of an emergency.

The Verge: Skydio has a motorized charging box to make its self-flying drone truly autonomous.

Oh my....
I'm going to stick one of these under my car

Of course as always, the future always catches up with my projects within a couple years...
DroneDJ: Ford patents drone that flies out of trunk in case of an emergency.
Those are very interesting found ! Thanks for sharing :)

Wow!!! Glad you got that off your chest. Lol.
I have a few drones. It’s just another toy...I got in on the 1st day pre-order and will definitely let y’all know what it’s like.
This isn’t their 1st drone and the engineers behind Skydio are bad (Mod Removed )!!
DJI is great and I have 2 of them but the Skydio 1 had some pretty good reviews. I think it’s going to be fun for a hobby drone. I’ll fly my DJI drones for any work related task but you never know, this Skydio might be work worthy on a couple of shoots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400