DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Snow Day

canadian drone videos

Reactions
Nice video. I love playing in the snow with my drones, it makes for some unique and beautiful footage.

Ya it’s good times. Unfortunately had to trash a bunch of video I shot in Dlog. Thought I’d try Dlog don’t typically use it, histogram showed exposure was bang on, but the snow was way way way over exposed. Everything like trees looked good, but the snow was just a blanket of white with no detail, no life to it, tried a bunch of different luts but no luck in saving it. Won’t be using Dlog again in the snow anytime soon.

Ya it’s good times. Unfortunately had to trash a bunch of video I shot in Dlog. Thought I’d try Dlog don’t typically use it, histogram showed exposure was bang on, but the snow was way way way over exposed. Everything like trees looked good, but the snow was just a blanket of white with no detail, no life to it, tried a bunch of different luts but no luck in saving it. Won’t be using Dlog again in the snow anytime soon.

D log is your friend. It captures more information from the sensor so you can bring out more details in the shadows and highlights but it requires more color grading and maybe LUTs to bring out the snow details unless you have blown them out by over exposure where they would be unrecoverable
Dale

D log is your friend. It captures more information from the sensor so you can bring out more details in the shadows and highlights but it requires more color grading and maybe LUTs to bring out the snow details unless you have blown them out by over exposure where they would be unrecoverable
Dale
Ya I here it’s the way to go, thought I’d try it out. Histogram was showing a good exposure curve, and problem with using Dlog i noticed is you can’t see much detail in snow in the live view, left to trust the histogram. I was quite surprised to see how blown out the snow was well working it in post. When I next try it in the snow, which will be for the next 4 months lol, I’ll set the aperture back a couple stops based on the proper histogram information. The snow was blown out by at least 2 stops, maybe 3. Wasn’t just a little blown out, was way blown out, but the evergreen trees looked very good. Tried a dozen different luts, wasn’t going to happen, trash the video.

I’ll take your advice and not give up on it, I’ll do some trial and error practice video to figure out what works best in the snow using Dlog. Thanks for your input Dale.

Thought I’d try Dlog don’t typically use it, histogram showed exposure was bang on, but the snow was way way way over exposed. Everything like trees looked good, but the snow was just a blanket of white with no detail, no life to it, tried a bunch of different luts but no luck in saving it. Won’t be using Dlog again in the snow anytime soon.
I know we have had this discussion in the past but LOG really is easy to use and I can grade it in about a minute unless I am trying to get a fancy look to my footage. With snow and bright skies you really need to underexpose to make sure that you are preserving the detail for post.

With my Air 2S there is a LOG helper setting that shows in screen what the world really looks like while recording in D-LOG. Unfortunately like most things that involve the Mavic 3 its not available yet for that craft.

The helper setting would have really allowed you put things right during filming but you were probably fine with Normal mode for snow. I did see some white clipping in some scenes but I don't know what you used to shoot them. Skies can sometimes be very complex and I find that that is one place where LOG can really excel. I find Normal will often yield odd colors and banding where LOG produces a smooth transition from whites all the way through light and dark blue.

Had my first snow here last night so I am hoping to get some video in a little while.

I know we have had this discussion in the past but LOG really is easy to use and I can grade it in about a minute unless I am trying to get a fancy look to my footage. With snow and bright skies you really need to underexpose to make sure that you are preserving the detail for post.

With my Air 2S there is a LOG helper setting that shows in screen what the world really looks like while recording in D-LOG. Unfortunately like most things that involve the Mavic 3 its not available yet for that craft.

The helper setting would have really allowed you put things right during filming but you were probably fine with Normal mode for snow. I did see some white clipping in some scenes but I don't know what you used to shoot them. Skies can sometimes be very complex and I find that that is one place where LOG can really excel. I find Normal will often yield odd colors and banding where LOG produces a smooth transition from whites all the way through light and dark blue.

Had my first snow here last night so I am hoping to get some video in a little while.
Ya we’ve discussed Dlog, I’m coming around like a dog learning new tricks.

I was reading up on it yesterday and noticed the 2s has a preview for log but not the M3, not yet as you pointed out. The exact thing you pointed out is precisely while I want to try Dlog, skies are tricky or can be. I also read that Dlog is like using RAW in other cameras and that really got my attention, I nearly bought the X7 for my I2 a few years back so I could shoot in Raw, just too expensive. I want Raw for sunset video, otherwise the only sunset video that looks okay is when I shoot over water to help fill the bottom of the screen. HDR photos look good in a sunset, but my preference is video. I’ve seen Raw video in a sunset and it looked fine.

No one had explained Dlog in DJI was similar to Raw in a typical camera, so yes I’m excited to get out and experiment with the knowledge I’ve taken from you and others in this forum. My flying skills and editing skills are pretty good, some would say I have bad judgment in post though lol, to be honest I got tired of working this video I posted and decided to wrap it up. That video contains around 800 GB worth of editing, I change my mind a lot and try different things different ideas. To be fair that was the first video I’ve done in about a year, little rusty.

I’m really enjoying working with the M3 5k footage, we can do a lot of manipulation in post and it’s holding its res. I’m really eager to work with the 1080 200fps slow mo when the update comes next month, I’m addicted to slow mo, it’s very Zen lol

Here is one I did a couple of years ago flying my Anafi. Not much to see except white and dark when its snowing out LOL
Ya that’s black and white lol, snow with dark stuff🤪

Shooting snow is tricky, kinda like shooting white water, a little too much light and it blows out, to little light and everything but the white water is under exposed. I would never shoot snow without a polarized filter but no good ones are out yet for the M3. I almost always use a polarizer regardless, unless it’s low light, I’m eager to get a good one for the M3 first chance I get.

Enjoying your retirement lol
I am not really sure you can do anything about the pure white snow blowing out the sensors when there are other dark details that you need to record. All I would add is to watch the histogram and do not let it clip the highlights on the right side. You cannot recover anything there if they do. See the attachment. There is a lot of information if you Google the term " Histogram, clipping."

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 11.30.47 AM.png

Try taking your trashed video in post and making it B&W. Sometimes just the effect of the cold and B&W footage can save some videos.
I did a video last year with grey skies and a fresh fallen snow...... everyone asks me if my drone can record in color when they see it. Everyone thinks its in blacks and white

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
My flying skills and editing skills are pretty good,
For someone who claims to be rusty your video is excellent. Especially since with the Mavic 3 you have do all the moves yourself. Its easy to get spoiled using automated orbits and lock onto objects to do dolly style shots with more evolved software. The Mavic 3 forces you to do it manually until the fabled January update comes along to fix it all.

How did you do your dolly zoom shots?..... was that post editing or did you slip in some Tele camera footage?

I really like the video. Your music/video cuts are spot on, the scenery is awesome. @1:47, you captured the bird coming down out to the tree and its flight - Excellent!!! Very well done!

I am not really sure you can do anything about the pure white snow blowing out the sensors when there are other dark details that you need to record. All I would add is to watch the histogram and do not let it clip the highlights on the right side. You cannot recover anything there if they do. See the attachment. There is a lot of information if you Google the term " Histogram, clipping."

View attachment 139868
Ya that’s exactly it, big peak right on the far right similar to what we see here, couldn’t get rid of it. I’ve never heard of histogram clipping I’ll be reading up on it shortly, greatly appreciate the knowledge.

For someone who claims to be rusty your video is excellent. Especially since with the Mavic 3 you have do all the moves yourself. Its easy to get spoiled using automated orbits and lock onto objects to do dolly style shots with more evolved software. The Mavic 3 forces you to do it manually until the fabled January update comes along to fix it all.

How did you do your dolly zoom shots?..... was that post editing or did you slip in some Tele camera footage?
The orbit on the big chunk of ice was partially done in post, and part of it is being real gentle on the sticks using Cine mode. A lot of pilots use their thumbs to fly with stock short stubby joy sticks, there is no way I’d be able to achieve that shot under those conditions, some guys are good with their thumbs, not me. I need long sticks, and the remote must be sitting on something I can’t hold it, this allows me to be very sensitive with the sticks as I hold them like pens.

The dolly zoom was 100% done in post. I keep saying I don’t want a drone with a zoom lens, all zooming is best done in post where super smooth results can be had. Every single scene in the video has been zoomed and cropped. But digital zooming in post is flawless which is why the viewer can’t even tell when they are watching a scene that’s being zoomed it. If I hover above an object then descend to zoom the results are imperfect, drones do not fly perfectly. It’s best to hover then do a digital zoom in post.

I’m going to let you in on a trick very few pilots would ever know. Say your flying above some trees, you can make the drone appear to be flying way faster then it really is without speeding up the footage in post. How you ask, zoom in. Start your clip using the entire field of view, do a consistent zoom as the clip progresses, the start of the clip with be 5k, the end will be around 1080 which is still stander HD. The overall result will be a clip that makes the drone appear to be flying much faster then it actually was, the viewer has no clue though. Those clips I show at the start, the water falls. That’s all done in post, that drone never moved, those pans are not from me spinning the drone, those pans are done in post... mostly because I was afraid to fly this drone over water as it hasn't proven itself to me yet.

Knowing how to fly is one trick, knowing how to manipulate the viewer using editing software is also a trick.

Reactions: Saladshooter
I really like the video. Your music/video cuts are spot on, the scenery is awesome. @1:47, you captured the bird coming down out to the tree and its flight - Excellent!!! Very well done!
Want to know how I did the Blue Jay slow motion prop wash? I took the M3 which I call Sky Witness, and fastened him to a tripod next to the bird feeder lol. Then used optical flow in FCPX so I could slow it down a bit more. The pan was done in post, where I also cropped out the bird feeder.

I’m really looking forward to January’s update, 1080 in 200 FPS from a 4/3rds sensor should yield cool results.

Reactions: Saladshooter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying