DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So VERY frustrated...1st Part 107 scheduled flight??

Transition

Reactions
I am so very P--st off! This morning at first light I was due to do my first Part 107 "job". It was in a class D zone about one mile from St.Pete/Clearwater Airport (KPIE). I had FAA authorization via The Drone Zone a week previous, printed out the authorization (in case I was approached by the authorities) and called ATC 30 minutes before I was due to take off. ATC confirmed all was well for me to do so. I tried to take off but my Mini 2 told me I could not because I was in a restricted zone. I packed my stuff up and found a place to connect to the internet. To cut a very long story short, after trying a number of times to follow the DJI procedure to "unlock" the area, I was unable too. I ended up missing the time-fame for the shoot, and am very annoyed AND embarrassed!!!

Can somebody PLEASE direct me step-by-step how I am meant to fix this issue so that it doesn't happen again. I tried calling DJI but was stuck on hold forever and ended up having to quit! I apologize if I seem to be ranting...just sooo annoyed!

Thank you for any advice in advance!

• Sad
Reactions: Richard R
I think with a job like that where you know the schedule ahead of time it's worth pre-approving through DJI's website and importing the approval to the aircraft.

I've found self-unlocking to be hit or miss. Sometimes I just answer the questions and fly. Other times I go home without leaving the ground. On my Smart Controller I always have to import the approval. On my standard controller/phone combo I never do.

Reactions: Xitor
This should answer your questions. I found this video quite helpful.

Thank you so much for that. OMG, I understand the need for safety and authorization, but it seems absolutely crazy that getting an authorization from the FAA is less complicated than getting it from DJI. Guess I’ll just have to put it down to to “a lesson learned!”

Thanks again!

Reactions: maggior
Thank you so much for that. OMG, I understand the need for safety and authorization, but it seems absolutely crazy that getting an authorization from the FAA is less complicated than getting it from DJI. Guess I’ll just have to put it down to to “a lesson learned!”

Thanks again!

I agree. I when through the process (or tried to) a couple of weeks ago just to familiarize myself with it. I figured I'd be able to get my LAANC approval, enter the ID of it into DJI Fly, and I'd be good to go. Nope, that would make too much sense. The ridiculous part is now just because DJI says you can fly doesn't mean the FAA says you can. Even worse is the FAA can say you can fly but DJI will not let you.

I'm thankful that I live in an area where it's really not an issue. If I ever do need to fly in space I need to request permission, I'll plan ahead.

Glad that video helped. Pilot Institute has a great collection of helpful videos!

I am so very P--st off! This morning at first light I was due to do my first Part 107 "job". It was in a class D zone about one mile from St.Pete/Clearwater Airport (KPIE). I had FAA authorization via The Drone Zone a week previous, printed out the authorization (in case I was approached by the authorities) and called ATC 30 minutes before I was due to take off. ATC confirmed all was well for me to do so. I tried to take off but my Mini 2 told me I could not because I was in a restricted zone. I packed my stuff up and found a place to connect to the internet. To cut a very long story short, after trying a number of times to follow the DJI procedure to "unlock" the area, I was unable too. I ended up missing the time-fame for the shoot, and am very annoyed AND embarrassed!!!

Can somebody PLEASE direct me step-by-step how I am meant to fix this issue so that it doesn't happen again. I tried calling DJI but was stuck on hold forever and ended up having to quit! I apologize if I seem to be ranting...just sooo annoyed!

Thank you for any advice in advance!
I rarely fly in warning zones but when I have the DJI Fly app brings up a warning and asks that I accept responsibility to fly there. At the bottom of the warning is a box to check. It's hard to see because it's small, blue on a black background.
I check the box and take off. I use a mini iPad that has NO internet connection. I did this in Class D Airspace just a few weeks ago.

Why would DJI go to the trouble of having these zones that you need to get THEIR approval in the first place. The FAA I am sure has all of them covered. Looks (and wondering) if you could get a two day approval. So you make two trips out to your location just to make sure things work and back out the next day for the job.

I rarely fly in warning zones but when I have the DJI Fly app brings up a warning and asks that I accept responsibility to fly there. At the bottom of the warning is a box to check. It's hard to see because it's small, blue on a black background.
I check the box and take off. I use a mini iPad that has NO internet connection. I did this in Class D Airspace just a few weeks ago.
How it works/behaves depends on the type of zone. There are warning zones, extended warning zones, restricted zones, etc. Sometimes DJI matches the FAA. Sometimes FAA requires approval and DJI doesn't or vice versa. It's a tangled web.

Why would DJI go to the trouble of having these zones that you need to get THEIR approval in the first place. The FAA I am sure has all of them covered. Looks (and wondering) if you could get a two day approval. So you make two trips out to your location just to make sure things work and back out the next day for the job.
DJI has these zone restrictions to protect its business. In the past, a few drone pilots have flown around airports causing major PR problems for Drone manufacturers. If complacent the manufacturers risk having the products band.

If I open Aloft for an approval it always asks if I want to connect to DJI Fly when I launch that app. Well shoot, if they will connect, why can't they communicate approvals? Sorry you had these issues, but appreciate the tips shared so can hopefully avoid similar mistake.

DJI has these zone restrictions to protect its business. In the past, a few drone pilots have flown around airports causing major PR problems for Drone manufacturers. If complacent the manufacturers risk having the products band.
Sounds like the gun problem, want to blame the manufacture instead of the person. Next name we will have to invent is Ghost Drones.

Reactions: SoCal2S
Geofencing has been a pain in my behind since I first started flying. I've had my Part 107 19 months ago and have had a few run-ins with DJI's geofencing and the ability to fully unlock on a timely basis. To keep this short, all I can say is that if you have any kind of paid shoot at all, unlock days ahead if you can and FIELD TEST THE AREA! It may require separate ATC authorization for your test day(s) but on a job I did last year, had I not tested before, even though theoretically unlocked I would have been screwed on job day. That day almost pushed me to buy an Autel just as job insurance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23