DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Something Rattling inside DJI RC Pro Remote Controller

dji30t

Reactions
Hi,

Just bought the DJI RC Pro Remote Controller in Dec 2022 and used it once during a trip. Since then it's been sitting in padded
case and when I took it for another trip I noticed rattling inside like a loose screw or something. I am afraid to use it in the event
that the unit malfunctions during flight and I cannot land the Mavic 3. Has this happened to anyone?

What is the best course of action? I do not have Mavic 3 care package. Is DJI fast with replacing the unit and do they honor their
warranty? How long can I expect the controller to be gone for repair?

Thanks

It's under warranty. Open a case with DJI. The DJI service Center is in Texas. They should repair/replace it free.

Reactions: GFields

Here is a video of the rattling. I have tons of DJI products and this is unacceptable for $1300.

Also got this note from DJI after setting up a support case and hope it doesn't take months to fix. I've had repairs with camera gear and person who repairs it puts it back together with new problems.

"We are sorry to inform you that our repair facilities are facing great challenges of the pandemic, and the processing time might be longer than usual.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to prioritize your case and update you with the latest progress."

I had the same issue with my P3P remote while under warranty and DJI would not do anything unless I covered the cost of shipping and insurance to send the RC back to them. My guess is they do not want the responsibility of a loose screw shorting out the internal battery during shipping. Fortunately the P3P remote is quite easy to dissasemble and it was a nut that held the device mount had come off. I fixed it myself in a few minutes. No idea about taking apart the RC PRO. Hopefully someone else in here knows the procedure...

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Open up the 4G Dongle compartment on the underside with a screwdriver and make sure the 4G Dongle connector inside isn't what is rattling. Highly unlikely that whatever the causing the rattling inside makes it unsafe to fly. Using the RC Pro is a relatively passive activity. You are not shaking the controller during flight. Absolute worst case, the RC Pro shorts out, and disconnects, which merely triggers Loss of Signal RTH, and the drone flies back to you, even with a dead RC Pro, which you can then have repaired or replaced under warranty, any time before December 2023.

Last edited:
It’s under warranty and a few months ago it took them around 2 weeks to turn mine around. I had a faulty screen. Not too bad considering

Reactions: dji30t

Here is a video of the rattling. I have tons of DJI products and this is unacceptable for $1300.

Also got this note from DJI after setting up a support case and hope it doesn't take months to fix. I've had repairs with camera gear and person who repairs it puts it back together with new problems.

"We are sorry to inform you that our repair facilities are facing great challenges of the pandemic, and the processing time might be longer than usual.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to prioritize your case and update you with the latest progress."
That does not sound good on that video. I'd send it to DJI to find out what has gotten loose. It should not be like this for sure.

Reactions: dji30t
Just remember if you attempt to "repair" the controller yourself you will not have the warranty option available to you anymore if you can't fix it or decide to send it in... DJI warranty clearly states there should be NO operator/owner repairs attempted or it will void the warranty. Just saying...

Reactions: Torque and 3rdof5
Have you checked the 4G Dongle connector inside mentioned in Post #5? The way you are shaking it indicates that it is in that area. (Finally got to watch the video, after realizing registration could be skipped!)

Have you checked the 4G Dongle connector inside mentioned in Post #5? The way you are shaking it indicates that it is in that area. (Finally got to watch the video, after realizing registration could be skipped!)
I am that kind of person who dares to open and fix. I understand the ramifications of my action resulting in potentially lost warranty. But how would DJI know that I opened it in the first place? Done carefully with proper tools, would it be any different from when DJI service person opens it? I doubt. Sometimes it could be a simple fix and it can be done in a few minutes, so why not to give it a go instead of the hassle of packing , sending, and being without for weeks?
That is just me though, having the right tools, steady hands and engineering mind😀

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermey and 3rdof5
I am that kind of person who dares to open and fix. I understand the ramifications of my action resulting in potentially lost warranty. But how would DJI know that I opened it in the first place? Done carefully with proper tools, would it be any different from when DJI service person opens it? I doubt. Sometimes it could be a simple fix and it can be done in a few minutes, so why not to give it a go instead of the hassle of packing , sending, and being without for weeks?
That is just me though, having the right tools, steady hands and engineering mind😀
Even better, the 4G Dongle compartment is intended to be opened by the user. Just a couple of Philip's screws to open it up and check!

Reactions: Filmarik
DJI has tell tales to let them know the unit has been opened. Letting them take care of it under warranty is the best way to do it.

For a record mine has got hex head screws, not Phillips but that is not important.
My bad. You are correct. However, that compartment which may contain the source of the rattling sound, is intended to be user accessible, and opening it up would certainly not violate any warranty.

Reactions: Hermey
DJI has tell tales to let them know the unit has been opened. Letting them take care of it under warranty is the best way to do it.
It may just be the 4G dongle connector inside the user accessible compartment behind the two hex head screws on the bottom. Checking there first may save a lot of unnecessary grief.

%
It may just be the 4G dongle connector inside the user accessible compartment behind the two hex head screws on the bottom. Checking there first may save a lot of unnecessary grief.
I personally do not think that it is the 4G connector. The connector is attached to a stiff wire which does not allow it to move freely enough to produce such a rattling sound. To me it sounds more like a loose screw or something of that kind.

Last edited:
%

I personally do not think that it is the 4G connector. The connector is attached to a stiff wire which does not allow it to move freely enough to produce such a rattling sound. To me it sounds more like a loose screw or something of that kind.
Only one way to find out. Could even be a loose screw in that compartment. It's certainly worth a look, before going through the hassle of exchanging it, possibly for something easily removed or resecured, in an easily accessible compartment.

Reactions: Torque and Filmarik
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne