DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark Propellers on the Air

Has anyone weighed the Spark props vs. the Air props? Curious about any vibration issues. If I'm not mistaken there was a FW update for the MP which aided in diminishing the vibration when the low noise props were used.
I dont think there was no such fw ... just added compatibility.think it was 4.00 or .100 it was right when plat came out. lots of people have vibe issues with low noise props on mav pro gen 1

What is the benefit of folding props on the Air?
I thought that since everything tucks into the body nicely, there is no reason to put on folding props?

Ultimate portability. The props are long and rigid and the ends can stick out a little. If you have the drone in a pants pocket or small bag the prop can hang up and bend.

Reactions: 3goldens
I just put the DJI Spark propellers onto the Mavic Air and they work, the motor connection seems to be the same.

I also think with the Spark propellers the Mavic air is slightly less noisy in flight, so it's pretty easy to put folding props onto the Mavic Air as the Spark propellers fit exactly the same.
As per a well respected DJI Engineer over on the RC Groups forum:

upload_2018-1-30_19-50-38.png

Reactions: avanti1963
It's be interesting to check the RPM differences between the propeller sets on the MA, I wonder if that makes a difference to the ESC's and how it's been programmed

Reactions: vinhidalgo
Yea, I tried them and will keep the Spark props on till a third party manufacturer comes out with ones for the AIR that are the length designed for the unit. I think DJI was foolish not to just do this in the first olace and to incorporate the design that lowers the noise but they’ll come out with them later as a new accessory so they can make a little more money from those of us that are unhappy with the overall dumb design flaw they didnt correct in the design process.

U do no that the spark props will be more inefficient on air right? And who cares if they fold. That alone would it make me change out the props ....stock air props are fine.

I think clearly quite a lot of people “care”, given all that has been posted here and else where on this terrible design decision DJI made. And I have not read anything about flight being inefficient only a minute less flight time, which I don’t give a **** about. Like I said they’ll be third-party props out shortly that fold so I’m not really worried about my with my first flights which will be few and far between living here in New York City.

I don't think it's a terrible design decision at all. Do you know what their engineering criteria were? Or what they tested? I'm guessing R&D probably came down to a negligible space savings (I mean really...how much of a bother are the fixed props once they're nestled into the body? Looks pretty tidy to me) vs. some number of performance issues, be that responsiveness or duration...or who knows what else. I'm guessing it was a struggle to break 20 minutes of flight time (which I do give a **** about) on such a small battery, so it's likely they went with a configuration thought to benefit the most customers with the fewest tradeoffs.

So, having neither been part of the product development team nor an aerospace engineering student at any point, all I can say for sure is that the MA gets impressively compact without requiring removal of the props (big deal for me), in a mechanically simple and subsequently cost-effective way. Doesn't seem so terrible to me.

I don't think it's a terrible design decision at all. Do you know what their engineering criteria were? Or what they tested? I'm guessing R&D probably came down to a negligible space savings (I mean really...how much of a bother are the fixed props once they're nestled into the body?
Folding props are probably more expensive to manufacture.
Probably controlling department came down and told them to make fixed propellers to save a few RMB per Mavic Air.

Once again what do we want to use this drone for? Is it going to sit on a shelf between flights and just be transported in its bag. If so standard props will work very well. Or are you going to throw it in a back pocket of a bike jersey, if so you might want the folding blades. I have both and will use both depending on what I am doing. The blades on my P4P are more efficient but I do not want to carry that around all the time.

Straight blades also makes for fast setup right out of the bag. I think they were after a “Simple Start” design. Less moving parts equals one less place to fail. KISS method [emoji6]
Now folding blades for my Inspire, YEP I want them. Those are $200 bucks plus though .

As a Spark owner, trust me, folding blades still catch on your pocket lining when pulling the drone out. I also hate having to either straighten them up or - if I'm lazy - start the motors while they are folding and watch the drone torque (wondering if it might one day damage it) while they snap into place with centrifugal force. I might change my mind when I get my Air, but I'm kind of looking forward to the fixed design and it looks like the whole drone will be much easier to slip in and out of a pocket than the Spark.

Reactions: AAPhoto
After writing, afterthought... this may be in wrong thread... but does touch folding props. :rolleyes:

Don’t have a MA yet (soon!), do have a MP & Spark. For the MP purchased a nice form fit, minimal bulk case. This same design appears to be part of the standard MA package. These cases do add some bulk, but add protection. The MP “case” fits in a center bike jersey pocket and withdraws much easier than exposed props, arms, stub legs, and gimbal shield (experienced gimbal cover unhooking while withdrawing in backpack).

For the investment, electronic sensitivity, marginally fragile hardware, squeezing a Mavic into pocket, backpack, etc. “bare” would be considered risky for the small benifit in space savings. When you consider the size & transportabilty compared to just a few years ago, exp: Phanton, Typhoon H and where it’ll develope, all impressive. IMO, I’d rather get the smallest protective case and the quietest blades.

The folding blades have a “cool” factor too and I do like the technology of folding blades. Although, folding blades introduce addition balance concerns, both static & dynamic. With the sensitive 3 way gimbal compared to stiffer 2 way Spark gimbal, the possibility introducing a jello effect is greater with smaller props, higher RPM, ND filters & slower shutter, and out of balance props. Folding props are normally further out of balance and much harder to dynamically keep in balance, especially with plastic quick detach lugs & mounts.

The quad & hex platforms are focused toward photography; larger diameter 2 or 3 blades just under tip clearance for max lift, low RPM, ultra wisper quite would be an option I’d like to see released... I’d consider folding tri-props “balanced” an option too.

I would assume DJI’s design goal on MA was the smallest form factor providing best photography for the platform limitations... and cost. My guess on MP2 if a larger sensor is included, will be focused on photography more than sport or portability... prop size, diameter of lift, audio dB, vibration, etc.

As the Spark Props are smaller you wont see as much of it in your Picture / Movie.
But for me its all about the noise and the Air is too loud.
I do care and usually other people around also care.

So if there is an offer for sound optimized Props for the Air i will jump on them in no time. I dont care too much for a minute more or less flight time...

Ender

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569