DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed with obstacle avoidance.

Letsgethigh469

Reactions
Did a quick test flight with the new Mavic this morning before work. It was pretty windy and normally wouldn't have flown but figured I would be careful.
Was surprised it was slower than my P3A with the obstacle avoidance on. Assuming that is a limiting factor if someone can confirm? I at first thought it may disable it temporarily if your above 22mph, but now assume it's limiting speed while on.
Probably going to disable it most of the time and turn it on in certain situations. I'm usually fully aware of the location of the aircraft to obstacles (accidents do happen I know), never had an issue with my phantom with years of flying.
I did try sport mode briefly and it seemed to do pretty well. Still seemed about the speed of my phantom but Im sure tge Mavic is faster from what I've read.
Look forward to doing some more flying with her next week in good conditions. As I only flew for about 10 min tops because of the wind.
I also realized I can no longer hand catch with ground sensors on. This is the way I land the phantom 100% of the time but the Mavic did not like me trying that. It start giving full throttle up and I had to let go and land it on the ground manually.

Its best to disable it, when its windy. I always do, I find that in most windy conditions the speed of the mavic without obstacle avoidance on is enough.

Ya I'm sure it will be fine. Even being slower most of the video you take is at a crawl anyway. But if your trying to get somewhere in a hurry the speed would be nice.

I watched a youtube video about catching mavic in hand and they just continually hold it and it will full throttle for a second and then stop, just keep decending it while holding

Reactions: QuackerDamus
With "landing protection" disabled you can leave the bottom sensors on and hand catch without it fighting.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Key is to let it land in your hand. Hold your hand out and bring it down slowly. I prefer to hold my hand above my head just in case. LOL [emoji38]

Reactions: Letsgethigh469
Key is to let it land in your hand. Hold your hand out and bring it down slowly. I prefer to hold my hand above my head just in case. LOL [emoji38]
How does the Mavic know when it has landed to shut off the props? Or do you do the "two stick to lower inner center" move to shut it off?

I have been gun shy to hand catch the thing, but know I should practice it in case I really need it some time.

Last edited:
How does the Mavic know when it has landed to shot off the props? Or do you do the "two stick to lower inner center" move to shut it off?

I have been gun shy to hand catch the thing, but know I should practice it in case I really need it some time.
When the Mavic detects it is no longer descending after 3 secs, it thinks it has landed and will turn off props.

Reactions: KiterTodd

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydiver75thgrp