DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport mode is not my friend

Was flying with wife today and switched to sport mode and was flying circles around wife's Mavic Pro peeled off to bring home and flew into a tree at 39MPH 120 feet up. Mavic bounced off tree and fell, broke two arms, all props and has compass error. Can't download flight logs form AC is it worth fixing?

I crashed my P4 pretty badly and completely rebuilt it myself. If I ever do that again I would just go buy a dji referb unit as it's actually cheaper. The P4 can be attained to under $500 on eBay $200 less without gimbal and I think the mavic is hovering at $600 (pardon the pun)

She does not like flowers (they don't last) and I take her out every saturday to her favorite restaurant.
doesn't like flowers, well send her a teddy bear at work that ALWAYS gets me out the dog house. she'll stand tall and proud that's worth 10 breakfasts. lol congrats!!

Reactions: Wcordes
I never use sport mode.
Flip it on when you're in a nice wide open place, or above all obstacles. it's fun, and over time it will becomes familiar., baby steps.

remember at altitude things seem to move slower because of distance from objects of reference, so when you drop down to things, they will seem faster. again, baby steps.

then later you can be down at ground level and have some fun.

i mean, if you want to, that is. happy flying!

Very true, but as the OP has shown, Sports Mode comes with its own issues! :) That's why some people disable the Obstacle Ovoidance sensors to overcome the wind issue without needing Sports Mode
Ian

I have turned off the oos and it does nothing as for speed goes. I have tested it and I see no benefits to it. Nothing like sport mode.

I have turned off the oos and it does nothing as for speed goes. I have tested it and I see no benefits to it. Nothing like sport mode.

I’m not sure what you tested but turning off OA most definitely increases speed.

P Mode with OA on and top speed is approx 20mph. P Mode with OA off top speed is approx 30 mph. That is a 50% increase in speed, and noticeable.

In Sports mode it goes approx 40 mph.

Mike

I did the test three times yesterday noticed absolutely no difference in speed. I’ll rely on sport mode.

I did the test three times yesterday noticed absolutely no difference in speed. I’ll rely on sport mode.
If mine tested like that I’d be wondering what the heck was wrong with my drone, but hey if you don’t care that’s cool.

I find the top speed of 30 mph with OA off to be a nice fit between Sports mode and P mode with OA on. I will use it mostly if flying in a bit of a breeze, as it gives me more speed while not allowing the pitch to increase as much as when in Sport.

Mike

If mine tested like that I’d be wondering what the heck was wrong with my drone, but hey if you don’t care that’s cool.

I find the top speed of 30 mph with OA off to be a nice fit between Sports mode and P mode with OA on. I will use it mostly if flying in a bit of a breeze, as it gives me more speed while not allowing the pitch to increase as much as when in Sport.

Nothing wrong with it trust me. I’ll try to again but I’m sure I’ll get the same results.

Mike

I’ll try It again but I’m sure I’ll come up with the same result. Nothings wrong with the drone trust me.

I did almost the same Thing about two months ago. Two arms all props, final damage from DJI? $233. Weird thing was they sent me back my drone 5 weeks later, but Definetely was completely different drone. Not complaining, was in mint condition looked like. But was not the drone I sent them, I had scratched some minor things in it in some not so obvious places, when I got it back it was like a new one, complete with stickers protecting it from scratches and all props even replaced. New gimbal cover that had different shape to hold rubber mild over it.

Are you flying the Pro or the Air? On teh Pro it absolutely makes a huge difference, especially in the strong wind, but with the Air,it wo'nt make much difference as they auto shut off when the wind gets too string forcing a steeper pitch.

Ian

Are you flying the Pro or the Air? On teh Pro it absolutely makes a huge difference, especially in the strong wind, but with the Air,it wo'nt make much difference as they auto shut off when the wind gets too string forcing a steeper pitch.

Ian
The MP

I’ll try It again but I’m sure I’ll come up with the same result. Nothings wrong with the drone trust me.
Hopefully it was just the tests. But you should know that approx 50% higher speed is the expected result (all else being equal).

The Air turns off OA automatically in wind, in order to increase pitch beyond the OA sensors' range, which is why all the cries of "Air does better in the wind!!!" But turning off OA manually on the MP will cause it to perform the same in wind. I will sometimes turn off OA if wind is moderate, but not where I think it will blow away (say 15-18MPH).

I kind of like that the Air does it automatically, but at the same time I would rather know for sure I have OA on, and not turn off on its own. So I am fine with doing it manually. I like that the MP responds pretty much the same with OA off in P mode, whereas in Sport mode the difference in response is very noticable.

All that said, I do in fact use Sport mode too--and am ready to hit the switch if I feel I need to (wind). For me though I use it more for fun. Don't really shoot much with it, at least so far.

Mike

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez