DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport mode.

I do it often. Twice this evening actually. It's a great way to get where I want in a hurry, get my shots and get back. Besides, it's a fun way to fly.

How do you all feel about using sport mode to get somewhere and switching to regular to film and then back to sport to get back?

Sent from my SM-G928T using MavicPilots mobile app

Actually is great. I do it to chase cruiseships. Zoom in and when about 60 meters go back to normal and then sports and come back

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hi, I just received my Mavic one day ago and have not tried the sport mode, and now the weather is not good... so I could not check myself. My question is. Do the motors run at a different RPM during hover?
Not sure if any of you are helicopter pilots, but does it go into an "idle up" mode?
Thanks, and I can't wait to get some air time with this Mavic

Hi, I just received my Mavic one day ago and have not tried the sport mode, and now the weather is not good... so I could not check myself. My question is. Do the motors run at a different RPM during hover?
Not sure if any of you are helicopter pilots, but does it go into an "idle up" mode?
Thanks, and I can't wait to get some air time with this Mavic

It doesn't fly like a helicopter, the Mavic changes RPM in each motor to do what you want it to. Helicopters adjust the angle of the blades to go up down. RPMs stay constant.

The motors run at whatever speed is required to hover, if they went faster like you're thinking about because of sports mode it would gain altitude, right.

Yes the motors run at different RPM at hover versus forward flight. This is because the rotors (props) are fixed pitch.

This is in stark contrast to a manned helicopter where the pitch is changed but the rotor RPM remains in a very narrow range in all flight regimes. In a manned helicopter, most of the strength of the rotor is a direct result of the centrifugal forces.

Looks like it got off topic, but yes I switch to sport mode. Quicker ingress/ egress and less likely to be picked off by a hawk or trigger happy "neighbor". Good ol' USA...

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Speaking of RPMs, it's a little odd that there is telemetry data for motor RPM, yet every motor is always spinning at different RPM in a quad. It's really kind of useless data in flight IMO.

Speaking of RPMs, it's a little odd that there is telemetry data for motor RPM, yet every motor is always spinning at different RPM in a quad. It's really kind of useless data in flight IMO.
It may be a useful info when investigating a crash.

It may be a useful info when investigating a crash.

I'm not suggesting that it not be logged somewhere, but in-flight, as a real time display it's not giving you much useable info. If one motor fails, it's RPM will be zero while all the other ones are still running. So which does the display show? Doesn't really matter because even if it's taking an average of all 4 motors it would still be showing a number well above zero. You've still crashed because one of your motors is at zero.

Looks like it got off topic, but yes I switch to sport mode. Quicker ingress/ egress and less likely to be picked off by a hawk or trigger happy "neighbor". Good ol' USA...
You need new "neighbors". [emoji4]

Curious that the increased drag in S mode overcompensates for the increased battery drain due to using obstacle avoidance in P mode as well as transmitting twice as long to the RC. I'd have expected these things to waste more battery life than flying twice as fast, so I always used Sport mode to get to places in the hope it would save battery life! Thanks, davmcw, for proving me wrong.

Only logged a few flights with mine and tried out Sport mode once I can see the practicality of it for travel as others say but can't see myself accepting the added risk for zipping around. Yeah I tried it once to get a feel for it, saw how long the delay was to return to solid hover and said nope not for goofing around. They make less expensive drones for that stuff.

I can get the hawk and honestly I'm nervous around large birds, but frankly unless you're going low and slow or loitering over someone's property they shouldn't have time to go get the gun and shoot you down so to speak. Even in P mode it still doesn't exactly take very long to cross an acre or two.

The motors run at whatever speed is required to hover, if they went faster like you're thinking about because of sports mode it would gain altitude, right.
You know... after reading what I posted, I realize that was not too smart of me... LOL, I guess I forget these are fixed pitch :oops: Now that I think about it more, I guess sport mode would not reduce battery too awful much if just cruise around so to speak. Anyhow this was enlightening and helpful.

as a real time display it's not giving you much useable info.
? Now I'm puzzled, I don't have any such information on the screen, I thought it logs to file. I'd like to have pitch and roll indicators though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111