DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sports Mode - Perfect Flying Conditions

djavionyx

Reactions
Was at my dad's soon-to-be-goat ranch in Pahrump, NV and it was quiet, perfect flying conditions to try Sport Mode for the first time. Clocked 60.6 mph!!! Here's a short video I put together.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: NOLA-J
Oh yeah, plus we played ball with my dad's golden retriever lol (hung the ball from the drone lol)

Was at my dad's soon-to-be-goat ranch in Pahrump, NV and it was quiet, perfect flying conditions to try Sport Mode for the first time. Clocked 60.6 mph!!! Here's a short video I put together.

There's a glitch where it displays km/h as mph. 60.6 km/h = 37.7 mph.

There's a glitch where it displays km/h as mph. 60.6 km/h = 37.7 mph.
is the glitch only in sports mode or is the speed always off in kmh? I average around 20mph on normal flights does that mean I'm going slower?

The glitch is not consistent. Mine shows mph properly in both modes. Mine has never had the glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I believe mavic top speed is 40mph in sport mode and about 20mph in P mode. What does your controller say as far as speed when you are flying? Also when your dog tags that ball and your drone goes ape **** you're going to be very upset. Hope you got dji care refresh lol

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using the MavicPilots app

I believe mavic top speed is 40mph in sport mode and about 20mph in P mode. What does your controller say as far as speed when you are flying? Also when your dog tags that ball and your drone goes ape **** you're going to be very upset. Hope you got dji care refresh lol

That and he'll be paying the vet to put his dogs face back together. Those props can do damage.

Reactions: cobra46

I have the horizontal speed highlighted at the bottom with the red rectangle border around it. It reached 60.6mph.

Sent from my LG-H900 using MavicPilots mobile app

Sorry I just realized you said "controller". I don't know what it read but the next time I'm at the ranch I'll try it again if the conditions are no wind.

Sent from my LG-H900 using MavicPilots mobile app

It's a glitch with the app unfortunately. My top speed was over 60mph before I updated to the newest DJI Go 4 for iOS. Now I rarely reach 40, which is the accurate speed.
Even if it says mph, it's really kph. Sorry to burst your bubble!

You must have gotten a secret prototype of the Mavic 2 with top speed of 60mph!!!

yup! I did Sport Mode yesterday over Lake Las Vegas and got no more than 39.7mph and there was a 9mph wind compared to at my dad's ranch that had zero wind.

Even with a strong tail wind it still appears to be about 40mph, maybe a bit more. It appears to be regulated so that's the top speed. If this wasn't the case I'm sure 400 feet up some would truly be getting over 60+mph ground speed as registered by their GPS.

Would make sense that it would also be regulated in the standard GPS Mode. If the ground speed is more then 20mph the optical avoidance would have a difficult time braking in time.

I took a look at the pitch displayed in the .dat file while moving with a tail wind. At just over 40mph the pitch was not as steep an angle as the pitch with no wind at about the same speed. If I remember correctly, the pitch with no wind, or into the wind was 32 degrees. With the wind in the above case I believe it was 25 degrees and going about 40 mph. Not sure if this is always the case, but it would make sense.

Last edited:
Even with a strong tail wind it still appears to be about 40mph, maybe a bit more. It appears to be regulated so that's the top speed. If this wasn't the case I'm sure 400 feet up some would truly be getting over 60+mph ground speed as registered by their GPS.

Would make sense that it would also be regulated in the standard GPS Mode. If the ground speed is more then 20mph the optical avoidance would have a difficult time braking in time.

I took a look at the pitch displayed in the .dat file while moving with a tail wind. At just over 40mph the pitch was not as steep an angle as the pitch with no wind at about the same speed. If I remember correctly, the pitch with no wind, or into the wind was 32 degrees. With the wind in the above case I believe it was 25 degrees and going about 40 mph. Not sure if this is always the case, but it would make sense.

Nice to hear this. So whenever someone gets into the CPU of the Mavic and starts modding we should expect 50+mph or who knows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman