Spotlight tracking

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Davidr, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Davidr

Davidr Member

I understand that when using the spotlight feature the mavic controls its own yaw to keep the subject on screen. Does the control of direction now revert to home lock, course lock or something else. I assume it is now home lock and you control direction with the right stick. Or is this just a dumb and obvious question?

2. F6Rider

F6Rider Well-Known Member

Spotlight is a sub-mode of Activetrack. Activetrack followes the subject in the highlighted box, I believe Spotlight tells the camera to remain focused on the subject in the frame, so once initiated it will follow and focus on the selected subject without control imput from the pilot other than to revert to normal flight when finished.

3. Fireblade

Fireblade Well-Known Member

Anyone tried spotlight yet? I'm curious how it works. Does the Mavic always points the camera at the target while you fly around? And like David asked, does the Mavic fly in home lock or course lock?

4. F6Rider

You don't 'fly around', the Mavic will follow the subject in the frame, and keep it focused, as well as orbit if selected, no input from the pilot is needed until you want to exit Activereack.

5. Fireblade

According to DJIs manual, it seems like you could still control the Mavic except yaw? Is this not the case?

"Aircraft will not trace a subject automatically, but it keeps the camera pointing at the subject during ight. The remote controller can be used to maneuver the aircraft, but yaw is disabled "

6. Fireblade

Here's another description from b&h.

Spotlight mode keeps the camera trained on your subject, regardless of the drone’s orientation, letting you direct the drone for framing without having to worry about camera positioning.

7. F6Rider

I stand corrected, thanks.

8. Fireblade

No prob f6! I'm just curious now how it flies when in this mode. Will be trying this once I get enough courage to trust someone to fly my Mavic lol