DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spotlight tracking

Davidr

Reactions
I understand that when using the spotlight feature the mavic controls its own yaw to keep the subject on screen. Does the control of direction now revert to home lock, course lock or something else. I assume it is now home lock and you control direction with the right stick. Or is this just a dumb and obvious question?

Spotlight is a sub-mode of Activetrack. Activetrack followes the subject in the highlighted box, I believe Spotlight tells the camera to remain focused on the subject in the frame, so once initiated it will follow and focus on the selected subject without control imput from the pilot other than to revert to normal flight when finished.

Anyone tried spotlight yet? I'm curious how it works. Does the Mavic always points the camera at the target while you fly around? And like David asked, does the Mavic fly in home lock or course lock?

Anyone tried spotlight yet? I'm curious how it works. Does the Mavic always points the camera at the target while you fly around? And like David asked, does the Mavic fly in home lock or course lock?
You don't 'fly around', the Mavic will follow the subject in the frame, and keep it focused, as well as orbit if selected, no input from the pilot is needed until you want to exit Activereack.

According to DJIs manual, it seems like you could still control the Mavic except yaw? Is this not the case?

"Aircraft will not trace a subject automatically, but it keeps the camera pointing at the subject during ight. The remote controller can be used to maneuver the aircraft, but yaw is disabled "

Here's another description from b&h.

Spotlight mode keeps the camera trained on your subject, regardless of the drone’s orientation, letting you direct the drone for framing without having to worry about camera positioning.

No prob f6! I'm just curious now how it flies when in this mode. Will be trying this once I get enough courage to trust someone to fly my Mavic lol

I'd also like to know the answer to this (before trying it myself). If the aircraft controls the yaw (unpredictably, given it's tracking a subject) how do you know how to control the mavic for direction?

I just did this on my p4p. So the moment you set spotlight, the Camera focuses on you wherever you go. You can fly the bird fwd, bckwards or slide left or right.

Wherever you initially set your spotlight, that's where the forward direction will go to. It will not change once its set, even if you walk to a different spot.

How have you got on with spot light? It's basically a dolly feature. I find it flys way too slow in this mode though?
I understand that when using the spotlight feature the mavic controls its own yaw to keep the subject on screen. Does the control of direction now revert to home lock, course lock or something else. I assume it is now home lock and you control direction with the right stick. Or is this just a dumb and obvious question?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan