DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Personal Property insurance really came through for me after I crashed my drone. 65 dollars a year to get a payout of $600 for repairs.

Great to have found this thread.. I have been looking into getting a SF policy for my Leica camera's, but never thought about it for my drone..

Thanks
Your very welcome. Glad we could help.

Reactions: By-tor
You are lucky. I don't know the name of the insurance company my boss used to have to cover us but after we crashed our drone a few years ago, they wouldn't pay a thing. They said we'd have to have special coverage, at a much higher fee of course! Then our tripod fell out of our truck when I was unpacking and it broke. The insurance company wouldn't pay for that replacement either. In fact, they said, basically, ALL of our video production equipment would have to be stolen out of truck before they'd pay as our policy was written. Today, we have a new insurance carrier.
I have a question on which Insurance carrier did your company switch too ?

I crashed my drone just 3 months after I purchased personal property insurance. They repair it or pay the cost of replacement if lost or totaled. Most companies only charge this amount (65 dollars a year).

I crashed the drone, sent it to DJI for a repair quote, sent the quote to the insurance company, and just like that, they wired the cost of repair to my bank account. No questions asked.

Why did I purchase personal property insurance on that particular drone? Well, my care refresh had expired and I was afraid I might have an event such as I did. Looks like I bought it just in the nick of time. It's almost worth not purchasing DJI Care, and instead purchasing personal property insurance. It costs a lot less. The end results are the same. Your drone is either repaired or replaced depending on the circumstances.
How many times can you 'crash and cash' before they cancel or raise the rates? - not that one would want to! Just wondering...TIA

How many times can you 'crash and cash' before they cancel or raise the rates? - not that one would want to! Just wondering...TIA
i've wondered that myself. I haven't the slighest idea. Funny thing, I only had the insurance for 3mnths before I crashed, cashed and dashed. :)

The new drone is coming in today by the way.

Having had one Mavic 3 replaced already I hope to not test my luck with a repeat performance any time soon.

Does this personal article property provide any liability insurance? e.g. you drone flys away and crashes into a moving vehicle.

Sorry, way late to this thread. You make a claim, you will be cancelled; count on it. For sure they will renew or write another policy for next drone and then a few months later, it will be cancelled. Alll I can say is count on it so you don't end up "without."

*Happened to me.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I have State Farm and did lose a Mavic 3 that was on my policy. Thy replaced the drone and cancelled the policy on the old one. I got the replacement and put it on the policy just fine. I now have a new Mavic 3 Pro and it is also now covered.

Sorry, way late to this thread. You make a claim, you will be cancelled; count on it. For sure they will renew or write another policy for next drone and then a few months later, it will be cancelled. Alll I can say is count on it so you don't end up "without."

*Happened to me.
Not Necessarily. I crashed my original Mavic Pro into a tree, 7 treats ago, at 55’ height, and the camera/gimbal broke at it hit the ground during retrieval. State Farm reimbursed the $665 repair fee with 48 hours of submitting my claim. State Farm has renewed my policy every year since 2016 (7 years) although it did go up in price from $65 to $75 annually 2 years ago. I’ve also added my P4V2 to the policy 4 years ago. SF has renewed every year.

Not Necessarily. I crashed my original Mavic Pro into a tree, 7 treats ago, at 55’ height, and the camera/gimbal broke at it hit the ground during retrieval. State Farm reimbursed the $665 repair fee with 48 hours of submitting my claim. State Farm has renewed my policy every year since 2016 (7 years) although it did go up in price from $65 to $75 annually 2 years ago. I’ve also added my P4V2 to the policy 4 years ago. SF has renewed every year.
Ok, maybe that's the difference between repair and a total loss, I dunno. So so so many stories of people getting cancelled. When I made the claim, they sent me a check for the amount on the day 1 receipt I sent them. This was only 2-3 years ago.

I have State Farm and did lose a Mavic 3 that was on my policy. Thy replaced the drone and cancelled the policy on the old one. I got the replacement and put it on the policy just fine. I now have a new Mavic 3 Pro and it is also now covered.
Been a few years, maybe I try again.

I'm a little bit confused, you said "on my policy" does that mean you have a State Farm policy and you add and subtract drones to that policy? Ceertainly they won't cancel you for one claim.

I have zero to do with St Farm and I walked in and asked to cover one drone, one policy, nothing else. Is that the difference?

Yes, always read the insurance PDS (product disclosure statement).
It WILL have al lthe information regarding the policy.

I always thought State Farm operated drone insurance like most vehicle insurance is done here . . .
A repair is covered, less any excess / payable contribution, the policy continues on the vehicle.
A total loss or write off is paid out on replacement / market value / agreed value, the policy is fulfilled and no more.

Been a few years, maybe I try again.

I'm a little bit confused, you said "on my policy" does that mean you have a State Farm policy and you add and subtract drones to that policy? Ceertainly they won't cancel you for one claim.

I have zero to do with St Farm and I walked in and asked to cover one drone, one policy, nothing else. Is that the difference?
Correct - I have a Personal Articles policy for all of my camera gear and the drones are attached to that policy.

Correct - I have a Personal Articles policy for all of my camera gear and the drones are attached to that policy.
Ok that's makes sense. These standalone drone policies might be different but I'll check again since it's been awhile.

I crashed my drone just 3 months after I purchased personal property insurance. They repair it or pay the cost of replacement if lost or totaled. Most companies only charge this amount (65 dollars a year).

I crashed the drone, sent it to DJI for a repair quote, sent the quote to the insurance company, and just like that, they wired the cost of repair to my bank account. No questions asked.

Why did I purchase personal property insurance on that particular drone? Well, my care refresh had expired and I was afraid I might have an event such as I did. Looks like I bought it just in the nick of time. It's almost worth not purchasing DJI Care, and instead purchasing personal property insurance. It costs a lot less. The end results are the same. Your drone is either repaired or replaced depending on the circumstances.
What are you doing for liability insurance (e.g., if you have a fly away and the drone crashes into someone, their house, or their car)? I'm a bit worried that a serious accident with personal injuries could put me and my family at financial risk. I've been flying for 4 years, never crashed, but have had a few (apparent) loss of signal events that I recovered from. Affordable (cheap), but a quality (say $1 million) liability insurance, is what I'm after. Any recommendations?

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Seeing as I'm going to be flying in AK and over the water, I figured I'd best get my Air 2S insured. I already have homeowners and a car insured with State Farm so I called them. They quoted me $45 for $1500 coverage for 1 year. Next step up would have been $54 but I didn't ask what the level of coverage is for that.

Reactions: SWTSU
I continue to believe the DJI care reduce(the size of your wallet)is what revenue source DJI used to fund their new building. How folks can justify the cost for that piece of mind escapes me knowing that there are other options available to keep a camera in the air. The first option is not putting your expensive camera in a position to expand risk. The other options are available via the all powerful google.

I have a 10,000 PAP with SF for $75/year. Covers two of my drones, some of my wife's jewelry, and my college daughter's laptop. Covers theft, say for instance from my car, dunking in a pond or lake, high speed crash into one of the big old Oaks around my property, or something going wrong and it tries to fly to Timbuktu, etc.

Much better deal than DJI care refresh.

Edit: oops, replied to this thread already on page 1... getting old ain't all it's cracked up to be :)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13