DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sticking eyes to the mavic (what adhesive)

BorisTheSpider

Reactions
Having followed the discussions about bird attacks, and having had the mavic mobbed by birds several times already, I bought some goggly eyes today like these as a bird repellent:

File:Googly.jpg - Wikipedia

I plan to stick a few of various sizes on multiple surfaces so that pretty much whatever angle a bird comes from the drone appears to have eyes.

Unfortunately though they're not self adhesive, so I need to decide how to stick them on to the drone in a durable, secure but reversible and non destructive way.

I'm thinking strong double sided tape is best, I also considered hot-glue but I'm not convinced that will be strong and durable enough, but it is easy to remove later - the heat during application should be OK I would think but isn't ideal and without trying I can't be sure it wouldn't damage the mavic body.

I want something neat, completely hidden behind the eyes and that doesn't add much bulk as in places the few MM thickness of the eyes themselves will only just fit when the drone is folded in the places I intend to put them.

I thought I'd throw it out there first and see what experience other people have sticking stuff to their drones and see if anyone's got a better idea for an adhesive.

Last edited:
Those are some angry birds. See what happened there?

I've had very good luck with 3M's clear VHB - you can get a roll of it at Walmart for about $3 or $4. The key is to use windex or something similar to clean both surfaces. It's thicker, and gooey, but I've used it to secure heavy items to plastic and glass (dash cameras to windshields that get very hot) and it's never failed. A plus is that it also comes off pretty easy by simply pulling and rolling up on a corner. No mess left behind.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Having followed the discussions about bird attacks, and having had the mavic mobbed by birds several times already, I bought some goggly eyes today like these as a bird repellent:

File:Googly.jpg - Wikipedia

I plan to stick a few of various sizes on multiple surfaces so that pretty much whatever angle a bird comes from the drone appears to have eyes.

Unfortunately though they're not self adhesive, so I need to decide how to stick them on to the drone in a durable, secure but reversible and non destructive way.

I'm thinking strong double sided tape is best, I also considered hot-glue but I'm not convinced that will be strong and durable enough, but it is easy to remove later - the heat during application should be OK I would think but isn't ideal and without trying I can't be sure it wouldn't damage the mavic body.

I want something neat, completely hidden behind the eyes and that doesn't add much bulk as in places the few MM thickness of the eyes themselves will only just fit when the drone is folded in the places I intend to put them.

I thought I'd throw it out there first and see what experience other people have sticking stuff to their drones and see if anyone's got a better idea for an adhesive.
Rubber cement glue, thinly coat both surfaces, allowing to dry a little then press together to adhere.
Regards,
-d.

you want an adhesive that very thin but very strong. Alcohol first then use a toothpick with silicone seal GE to form a thin coat on the rear of the decal. Press on, it will stay forever, if you want to take it off it won't leave any marks. I've done this on a few models for years.

Well, I went with shoe glue in the end, simply because I already had some around - so thanks anyway for the other suggestions, especially silicone which I think would work great for this. I tested the shoe glue on an inconspicuous spot first and was able to remove it the next day with no ill-effects, so I then went ahead:

8BNcp9G

It looks ridiculous, but I kind of like it! It also does seem to work - 2 groups of birds took a brief interest yesterday and took off to investigate, but they never got particularly close - I can't be sure but I think they saw the eyes and decided to leave it alone.

Last edited:
Well, I went with shoe glue in the end, simply because I already had some around - so thanks anyway for the other suggestions, especially silicone which I think would work great for this. I tested the shoe glue on an inconspicuous spot first and was able to remove it the next day with no ill-effects, so I then went ahead:

mwxm2Do

8BNcp9G

It looks ridiculous, but I kind of like it! It also does seem to work - 2 groups of birds took a brief interest yesterday and took off to investigate, but they never got particularly close - I can't be sure but I think they saw the eyes and decided to leave it alone.

This looks really cool !

Let us now how the next encounter goes.

8BNcp9G

It does not looks ridiculous, it looks like the cookie monster.
Regards,
-d.

I added the spiderman eyes to my webslinger skin. Hoping that will deter them darn birds!

Attachments

• IMG_7043.JPG
    IMG_7043.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
I added the spiderman eyes to my webslinger skin. Hoping that will deter them darn birds!
Cool! I'd be interested to know if they work too. Like someone else said, mine looks like the cookie monster - I need a purple skin now!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er