DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still seeing issues even at higher resolutions. Oil painting effect.

I'm getting mush city. I think we have a firmware gremlin here somewhere and it may have something to do with the upgrade process in addition to the firmware version. Before the last update I was set to Art style and then updated .. no Art.. maybe this has something to do with it. My video is crapola watercolor. My buddy just received his Mavic and his video, under the same conditions, is fabulous. Not a bit of this noise reduction / compression nightmare. The oil painting effect is not the ND filters, not the shutter speed, not the ISO... we have a difference in behavior w/ different mavics. Something strange is afoot.
Well I just happen to have 2 Mavics right now.

If I get the time this week (and that's a big if), I'll do some side by side tests shot at the same time, in the same light, of the same subject, with the 2 drones as close to each other in the sky as is possible. Unfortunately they are both updated to the latest "Art" free firmware, but it could still be an interesting comparison. The images *should* be identical.

I'm getting mush city. I think we have a firmware gremlin here somewhere and it may have something to do with the upgrade process in addition to the firmware version. Before the last update I was set to Art style and then updated .. no Art.. maybe this has something to do with it. My video is crapola watercolor. My buddy just received his Mavic and his video, under the same conditions, is fabulous. Not a bit of this noise reduction / compression nightmare. The oil painting effect is not the ND filters, not the shutter speed, not the ISO... we have a difference in behavior w/ different mavics. Something strange is afoot.

I had it set to Art style before last update and still have Art. Do not dare to change it :). Have not filmed enough but my pics have watercolor effect I think. Settings Art -1 0 0 give me the pictures like in this thread. Zoom in on the tall grass lower left.

Is my camera OK?

Very interesting too. I am sure we will get to the bottom of it eventually. I was really happy with my settings the other day, thought I had nailed it, then yesterday morning tried in really good light, and it was over sharpened and full of artifacts. I am almost convinced there is something going on with slower shutter speeds. Maybe an experiment with a Variable ND filter might bring up some answers, obviously it will have to be static only, but anything to narrow this issue down will be of help, and if the differences are night and day compared to my zero and +1 test, then we have our answer. I am not giving up on this yet, as I love the Mavic, it is like a dream to hike around in a backpack with my camera gear and RAW photos are great, its just the bloody filming which is driving me mad. It is so inconsistent and its not easy to tell until you get it home to review the footage.

DJI are the most unhelpful company ever, it is like getting blood out of a stone to get a straight answer from them. Their answer is just to return the Mavic if you think there is an issue, whereas at the moment it seems its their software engineers which are the issue. I am not expecting any miracles, I totally know the limitations of the sensor, but right now the Mavic has some bugs which need ironing out. I do find it bizarre that we are on the 4th generation of Dji drones using this sensor, and its a complete mess.

hmm. Did some testing. Maybe 2.7K is the way to go. Less compression artifacts. +1 sharpness. Cinilike.

I hope we get Art back.

FIXED! I downgraded the Mavic firmware two levels along with the controller. I then rebooted both and connected to the mavic. I then upgraded one level to 1.30.00 on the Mavic and controller. I flew this version and made some tests at 4K/30 w/default video settings. Issue is gone. Dramatically better video, no oil painting effect at all. Huge difference. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the latest 1.30.02 firmware again tomorrow and do another test. BTW I used the DJI Assistant software for all the firmware changes.

Reactions: erikgraham
FIXED! I downgraded the Mavic firmware two levels along with the controller. I then rebooted both and connected to the mavic. I then upgraded one level to 1.30.00 on the Mavic and controller. I flew this version and made some tests at 4K/30 w/default video settings. Issue is gone. Dramatically better video, no oil painting effect at all. Huge difference. I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the latest 1.30.02 firmware again tomorrow and do another test. BTW I used the DJI Assistant software for all the firmware changes.
Why downgrade 2 levels, then upgrade 1?

Why not just downgrade 1 level in the first place?

hmm. Did some testing. Maybe 2.7K is the way to go. Less compression artifacts. +1 sharpness. Cinilike.

I hope we get Art back.

If you have a third party app like Litchi, you can use it to select Art. You can then go back to DJI GO4 and it shows Art still selected.
I also agree with your statement on shutter speed in the 120/100 range is still good for motion blur and better for sharper images especially lower light on DJI equipment. Of course this doesn't help the other issues mavic owners are experiencing with the "watercolor" effect. This may be the hardware issue my distributor mentioned was delaying shipments. I just got a mavic and don't seem to have this issue (or at least haven't seen it yet). I have heard a few reports on the DJI forum where people got it fixed by downgrading the upgrading firmware.

Reactions: erikgraham
If you have a third party app like Litchi, you can use it to select Art. You can then go back to DJI GO4 and it shows Art still selected.
I also agree with your statement on shutter speed in the 120/100 range is still good for motion blur and better for sharper images especially lower light on DJI equipment. Of course this doesn't help the other issues mavic owners are experiencing with the "watercolor" effect. This may be the hardware issue my distributor mentioned was delaying shipments. I just got a mavic and don't seem to have this issue (or at least haven't seen it yet). I have heard a few reports on the DJI forum where people got it fixed by downgrading the upgrading firmware.
I do indeed have Litchi, though I haven't tried it with the Mavic yet. Thank you! Great tip. I will try this out.

Frankly, I'll probably just fly exclusively with Litchi anyway. I just wanted to start out with the official app, but I prefer Litchi so I'll jump over to that sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Call me crazy, but last time I checked going two steps back and one step forward is the same as taking one step back.
We don't know exactly how the process works, but given what is known from past models there are many components each with their own firmware and not all get updates every time. Maybe going 2 steps back downgraded and reset a component that was not touched by the 1-step downgrade since the version for that particular component was identical in the last 2 firmwares. So downgrading and upgrading 1-step did nothing to it, but going 2 steps back downgraded it and then 1 step forward upgraded it again, and that did the trick.

We don't know exactly how the process works, but given what is known from past models there are many components each with their own firmware and not all get updates every time. Maybe going 2 steps back downgraded and reset a component that was not touched by the 1-step downgrade since the version for that particular component was identical in the last 2 firmwares. So downgrading and upgrading 1-step did nothing to it, but going 2 steps back downgraded it and then 1 step forward upgraded it again, and that did the trick.
Ahh. Now that makes sense. And here I was thinking you were just being snarky.

Yes, what Kilrah said... 2 steps back must have reset something. I made sure all cam settings were set to default before each upgrade this time. When this issue originally raised its head I had been setup on Art style and then upgraded to a firmware version that didn't support it. I wanted to avoid that scenario this time just in case it played a role in the problem. I stepped forward to the most recent 1.30.02 today and the issue is still fixed UNTIL... you set sharpness to -1. The image looks ridiculous (oil painting) in the foliage areas with sharpness set to -1. As long as sharpness is set to 0 no more mushy image. I will try +1 tomorrow just for comparison. Unfortunately the -1 sharpening is such a blur that the detail is not recoverable in post. DON'T USE IT.

It seems their sharpness algorithm is a mess and somehow mine was stuck on -1 or lower internally even though I reset cam settings multiple times and it read zero.

Hope this works for yall.

Yes, what Kilrah said... 2 steps back must have reset something. I made sure all cam settings were set to default before each upgrade this time. When this issue originally raised its head I had been setup on Art style and then upgraded to a firmware version that didn't support it. I wanted to avoid that scenario this time just in case it played a role in the problem. I stepped forward to the most recent 1.30.02 today and the issue is still fixed UNTIL... you set sharpness to -1. The image looks ridiculous (oil painting) in the foliage areas with sharpness set to -1. As long as sharpness is set to 0 no more mushy image. I will try +1 tomorrow just for comparison. Unfortunately the -1 sharpening is such a blur that the detail is not recoverable in post. DON'T USE IT.

It seems their sharpness algorithm is a mess and somehow mine was stuck on -1 or lower internally even though I reset cam settings multiple times and it read zero.

Hope this works for yall.

thanks for the tip, will give this a go.

Thanks for the tip this also worked for me, no more oil painting due to some weird compression as long as sharpness is kept at 0, as soon as -1 complete loss in resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

On it today, while the 30-40mph winds keep me grounded. Cheers!

Hmmm, I have oil painting effect in pine trees with jpgs after upgrading today. I'm using none, 0 sharpness and can see it when zooming into then pines
I don't typically take jpg pics, so don't know if this is a new issue.
Video looks ok, but haven't tried to zoom in either

EDIT: I compared jpg and dng files with my P3P from last year and it looks similar when you zoom in. Maybe I just should zoom in ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada