DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still struggling with drone hyperlapse stability

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This is a repeated test done 4-8-2020 of a drone hyperlapse video using the Mavic 2 Pro. There was no wind at all. The study is done from approximately 77 ft height. A total of 211 RAW images at the rate of 5 frames per minute were taken with appropriate exposure. The sequence was loaded into LRTimelapse5 and Lightroom development and rendered to a video. The JPG sequence was loaded into Adobe Premiere Pro and three separate clips were successively stabilized with warp stabilizer.
At the suggestion of one forum member, I changed to a new set of propellers (DJI). Didn't really help.

Despite all of this, the clip is extremely shaky and in my opinion, unusable. I am using this to submit to those of you out there who might have a solution in the process.In my opinion, this clip is unusable.

Last edited:
See what you mean. Assume this was shot in hyperlapse mode. Feel that motion is due to the movement of the drone being apparent with a frame taken every 12 seconds (5 frames/min). Recommend trying 2-3 second intervals for total of 12-20 rpm.

See what you mean. Assume this was shot in hyperlapse mode. Feel that motion is due to the movement of the drone being apparent with a frame taken every 12 seconds (5 frames/min). Recommend trying 2-3 second intervals for total of 12-20 rpm.
No Tom- this was not shot in timelapse mode. It was shot in multiple exposure, 5 second interval is the smallest option ( reduced it from 7 frames per minute). 2-3 second interval not available in this mode. The hyperlapse mode does internal processing and does not allow me to use RAW files and LRTimelapse. I guess I will now go to hyperlapse mode at 2 seconds next time around. Thanks for the quick reply.

No Tom- this was not shot in timelapse mode. It was shot in multiple exposure, 5 second interval is the smallest option ( reduced it from 7 frames per minute). 2-3 second interval not available in this mode. The hyperlapse mode does internal processing and does not allow me to use RAW files and LRTimelapse. I guess I will now go to hyperlapse mode at 2 seconds next time around. Thanks for the quick reply.
That is true... it will be 1080p done in hyperlapse. May be the trade off needed for stable video. Awaiting your results. Best of luck.
I do get pleasing video that way when watched on my 80” monitor.

That is true... it will be 1080p done in hyperlapse. May be the trade off needed for stable video. Awaiting your results. Best of luck.
I do get pleasing video that way when watched on my 80” monitor.
The sun is shining and so I might go on driveway again at sunset 7:40 and do it with hyperlapae mode of intelligent flight mode at 3 second interval. Fingers crossed

I tried to do one through the app in just a hover and was like
one you posted in other thread. The ones I do in free just going 2mph are good.

I hear the weight of the phantom makes smoother hyperlapses, but haven't confirmed.

I tried to do one through the app in just a hover and was like
one you posted in other thread. The ones I do in free just going 2mph are good.
Thanks Dirk- Right now I have no space to practice even 2 miles per hour. I need to just stay in my driveway. My street is very full of trees and power wires. I cannot travel at all out of my driveway due to the space limitations. I cannot even go 2 mph! I need to just hover. So right now I am waiting for tonight's sunset (1 1/2 hours from now) and I will go out there and try intelligent flight mode>hyperlapse>2 second interval>hover in place. I will set the lighting settings before going into the intelligent flight mode. I will just have to let the drone process the clip at 1080p (whereas I'd prefer RAW files and better adjustments of the shots). Please feel free to add anything else I should set tonight asap.

Well I’m trying to experiment with doing them in a hover
and learning from your issue.
I can get out here and stay in truck to fly and have this
lock pool here so plenty of space. I could not be confined in a city now .
This is what I get in free and will get at least 125 shots then
move directions quick. I always set my time high and just stop it when battery gets low.
This was several just stuck together.

move directions quick. I always set my time high and just stop it when battery gets low.
Cool vid! Love the AC/DC too!

Reactions: dirkclod
Dale, it seems that the wind was blowing the palm trees around quite a bit....and the clouds were moving pretty quickly. There may have been wind at elevation that you didn't feel on the ground.

That was a very nice sequence. So what do you think of my settings? Planning
Dale, it seems that the wind was blowing the palm trees around quite a bit....and the clouds were moving pretty quickly. There may have been wind at elevation that you didn't feel on the ground.
Yes, RockyMtns, there was some wind, but not a lot, and it was very calm at ground level and I was only at 77ft one time, and 104 feet another time. It didn't seem to matter. All 4 clips are jumpy. Today I am spending the day trying to complete the processing of 4 hyperlapse clips that I did last evening's sunset. I did BOTH the drone-processed clip (e.g.: onboard processing) and saved the DNG (RAW) files to my SD card. Then I processed 4 consecutive clips (125 images each hyperlapse) in RAW through LRTimelapse. Today I will put them all through the Warp Stabilization of Premiere Pro.

I would also say the wind is adding to the issue. I see the trees moving pretty hard due to the wind. Try this same one when not so windy and guarantee you won't see as much drift (unless you have magnetic interference elsewhere). I actually think the movement in this one is pretty cool, adds to the effect of the strong wind.

Here is the next episode of The Trembling Drone! This is a drone timelapse video of a sunset on April 6,2020.As many of you know from this thread, I have been practicing this for 5 days. I still don't think I've gotten it right! This clip is a sequence of 4 video clips of 125 images each, taken with the Mavic 2 Pro. drone in Intelligent Flight Mode-Hyperlapse-Free Mode. Settings were to save originals in RAW. Interval was 2 seconds for 125 frames. I processed it from the original RAW (DNG) files (saved to SD card) in LRTimelapse 5 and Lightroom software. The movement is supposedly from winds buffeting the drone, which was only 104 feet maximum with no wind whatsoever at ground level. The video clips were also processed and stabilized with warp stabilization in Adobe Premiere Pro. The trembling is still present. Have no idea what to do now. HELP!

Here is the next episode of The Trembling Drone! This is a drone timelapse video of a sunset on April 6,2020.As many of you know from this thread, I have been practicing this for 5 days. I still don't think I've gotten it right! This clip is a sequence of 4 video clips of 125 images each, taken with the Mavic 2 Pro. drone in Intelligent Flight Mode-Hyperlapse-Free Mode. Settings were to save originals in RAW. Interval was 2 seconds for 125 frames. I processed it from the original RAW (DNG) files (saved to SD card) in LRTimelapse 5 and Lightroom software. The movement is supposedly from winds buffeting the drone, which was only 104 feet maximum with no wind whatsoever at ground level. The video clips were also processed and stabilized with warp stabilization in Adobe Premiere Pro. The trembling is still present. Have no idea what to do now. HELP!
Wow Dale, disappointing I’m sure... as you know I’ve been following your travails and frustration. I’m starting to believe there is either a hardware or software issue with your drone or controller.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks on your comment on the one i posted.Can't say what i think on your settings and think your right..
that just isn't right. Im going out and try something and will post it back in this this evening. I will screenshot my settings but something is not right with yours. I'm with Thomas .

Wow Dale, disappointing I’m sure... as you know I’ve been following your travails and frustration. I’m starting to believe there is either a hardware or software issue with your drone or controller.
Thanks Tom. I am tending to agree with you. What do you other experts think! So far, 4 nights filming @ one hour each=4 hours; downloading one hour each x 4 = 4 hours. Processing took approximately one hour each x4=4 more hours or 4+4+4=12 hours plus posting time= an approximate 14 hours for this 30 second clip. This is really a great hobby for coronavirus quarantines.

Where would you send your drone now? Don't think it's software since I get no notices and everything is "normal" in settings. I am hesitant to send to DJI. I could send to where I purchased it -DJI Drone Service, an advertiser on this site. Not sure they do repairs. I've calibrated IMU and gimbal 2-3 times daily. I would have never had this drone available if I had gone on my western trip to Monument Valley, Moab and Sedona!

@djidroneservice does work on them and i use them, Steve will see where I just flagged him .

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet