DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stone Thrower!

I would have tried to get video of the incident. Not easy I'm sure while trying to fly safely and avoid rocks being thrown at your drone. At least you would have proof and possibly a way to identify the women. The way I see it that's no different than throwing rocks at my car while I'm driving. The fact is the made a presumably safe and legal situation and made it dangerous to anyone in close proximity. If they had hit your drone it would have likely going out of control and maybe even struck them. I guess you can't fix stupid.

Sometimes I really don't understand this attitude of some people towards drones. In what is an accepted global culture now, people with cell phones will take pictures and videos in public places and no one seems to have a problem with that. As soon as there is a drone in the sky with a camera, there's this bizarre attitude bordering on paranoia that their privacy or space is being violated. Footage from a camera a few hundred feet in the sky is bound to record considerably lesser detail, particularly of people, than a handheld camera in close proximity on the ground.
Couldn't agree more.

The other day I was flying my drone here in Iceland and I was bringing it into land well away from people when I saw a man stoop down, pick up a stone and throw it at my Mavic 2 Pro! I asked him what his problem was and he said: "I thought you were taking a photo of me". I was angry, to say the least, and replied: "so as you have a camera pointed in my general direction it must be ok for me to throw a stone at the lens". He did not reply and walked off with his rather drunk girlfriend! Anyone else had similar problems?
This jerk gets around - I think I met him on a recent trip to Hawaii! [emoji6] He yelled at me from his condo balcony when I was landing my Mavic. Thought I'd care about watching him for some stupid reason. I have to admit I wasn't quite as friendly as I usually am.

Oddly enough, I discovered later from some of my overview shots that a couple was sunbathing on their balcony (could just make them out in a still photo) a couple condos away and they didn't care about my flying nearby.

Anyway... Sorry to hear about your experience.

Reactions: Icelandman
The other day I was flying my drone here in Iceland and I was bringing it into land well away from people when I saw a man stoop down, pick up a stone and throw it at my Mavic 2 Pro! I asked him what his problem was and he said: "I thought you were taking a photo of me". I was angry, to say the least, and replied: "so as you have a camera pointed in my general direction it must be ok for me to throw a stone at the lens". He did not reply and walked off with his rather drunk girlfriend! Anyone else had similar problems?
As someone who is very involved in the medical cannabis industry, I’ve been personally and professionally subjected to a lot of attacks from uneducated people. I’ve developed very thick skin as a result. But once I explain how people’s quality of life has been vastly improved, there is almost always a 180 degree reversal of opinion. I’m sure angry drone antagonists just need to been educated that drone flying is an extension of a camera buffs toolbox. Having that conversation can turn the tide.

This jerk gets around - I think I met him on a recent trip to Hawaii! [emoji6] He yelled at me from his condo balcony when I was landing my Mavic. Thought I'd care about watching him for some stupid reason. I have to admit I wasn't quite as friendly as I usually am.

Oddly enough, I discovered later from some of my overview shots that a couple was sunbathing on their balcony (could just make them out in a still photo) a couple condos away and they didn't care about my flying nearby.

Anyway... Sorry to hear about your experience.
Years ago I was accused of trying to photograph a woman who was changing in the open for a swim. My reply to her was on the lines of "Madam, if you think I would waste my time and film on photographing someone as ugly as you, you are very mistaken - and by the way, I was here first!!" I didn't get a reply but there was a lot of laughter from the others in her group!!

One of my unwritten rules (to go with all the others put on me by the CAA) is not to fly where people are. Never had abuse, just questions. Makes it hard to concentrate on flying safely.
Always happy to talk though, spread the good word??

One of my unwritten rules (to go with all the others put on me by the CAA) is not to fly where people are. Never had abuse, just questions. Makes it hard to concentrate on flying safely.
Always happy to talk though, spread the good word??
I, too, try to fly where no people are but this time I was well away from people except for this couple. It wasn't as if the drone was going to land on them and I think perhaps they were drunk!

I'm not sure how I would react. If the rock had actually struck my drone, I just don't know. If you call the police they aren't likely to respond very quickly, meaning the person gets to walk away. I have had a few occasions where a random person has harassed me while flying in a local park with permission to be there. One time a woman claimed my MA was a danger to her children. Even though I was flying at 250 feet and no where near her location. I tried to explain that I had permission from the park service in writing and even showed it to her. I ultimately decided it wasn't worth the argument and packed up and left. But now that woman probably thinks now any time she sees a drone flying that she has the right to harass them.
I wouldn't call police I would try and find I'd like photo or license plate and report to the FAA if your in USA because here that's the same type felony as shooting at a manned aircraft

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trubbaman