DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing batteries short or long term..why complicated?

nutsnbolts

Reactions
So I just had a run in with my spark discharging after 5 days to at least 75%. (2 out of the 4 batteries). I posted about this inquiring if it was normal in the Sparkpilots forum. Considering I have both the MPP and the spark I try to share the use of it when I go flying. In turn also rotate the battery use for each one.

As you can see, having two drones and trying to put flight time in them and ensuring battery life is topped off can be a hassle and also if mother nature is not accomodating, it can put your drones on the shelf.

Given my run in with my spark discharging, and starting to research about the batteries now a concern also on the MPP batteries. I never knew there was a whole science in how to store them and what percent to discharge or setting in a DJI app to be able to control discharge time and what not. Nevermind knowing that pressing the battery button resets this and that. My head is spinning.

My question I guess is long term versus short term. I can understand if it was going to be months before use and taking the proper steps to discharge them before storing but if I don't follow these "rules" am I damaging something?

I know following the "rules" is recommended but does it matter that much? I'm sure there are other new drone owners and didn't think about this and batteries discharging is just how it is.

Last but not least. Do folks always keep the batteries plugged in on the charger? Of course if you know you are not going to use it for a long time. Then obviously you don't have to keep it plugged in all the time.

Where that was a mouthful.

Reactions: TrickMcKaha
So I just had a run in with my spark discharging after 5 days to at least 75%. (2 out of the 4 batteries). I posted about this inquiring if it was normal in the Sparkpilots forum. Considering I have both the MPP and the spark I try to share the use of it when I go flying. In turn also rotate the battery use for each one.

As you can see, having two drones and trying to put flight time in them and ensuring battery life is topped off can be a hassle and also if mother nature is not accomodating, it can put your drones on the shelf.

Given my run in with my spark discharging, and starting to research about the batteries now a concern also on the MPP batteries. I never knew there was a whole science in how to store them and what percent to discharge or setting in a DJI app to be able to control discharge time and what not. Nevermind knowing that pressing the battery button resets this and that. My head is spinning.

My question I guess is long term versus short term. I can understand if it was going to be months before use and taking the proper steps to discharge them before storing but if I don't follow these "rules" am I damaging something?

I know following the "rules" is recommended but does it matter that much? I'm sure there are other new drone owners and didn't think about this and batteries discharging is just how it is.

Last but not least. Do folks always keep the batteries plugged in on the charger? Of course if you know you are not going to use it for a long time. Then obviously you don't have to keep it plugged in all the time.

Where that was a mouthful.
Here is a good thread.
Storage best practices.

Keep it simple and follow these simple tips:
  • Don't press the battery button unless you're going to use the battery
  • Don't fully charge the batteries until you're ready to fly (or the day before)
  • Maintain the battery charge level like this

Reactions: cfoxtrot
Keep it simple and follow these simple tips:
  • Don't press the battery button unless you're going to use the battery
  • Don't fully charge the batteries until you're ready to fly (or the day before)
  • Maintain the battery charge level like this
Thanks both of you and I have read those posts.

Just to put some metrics and further understanding this whole thing. How long is short-term versus long-term?

Right now this is a hobby and although it's the winter month there have been some nice days and I'll fly it around. The days are sporatic and I guess it can lead to long term if it really gets bad in the next couple months. I don't have a "plan" so to speak to know when I fly.

As far as battery discharge setting in the app. Any info on that in terms of what I should be setting the batteries at?

THow long is short-term versus long-term?
That won't matter if you're following my 3 simple tips above.

Any info on that in terms of what I should be setting the batteries at?
Unless you need to keep your batteries fully charged for a longer period of time, 2 days would be a good setting. That would ensure your batteries start discharging quickly if you fully charge them and then decide not to fly for some reason.

Unless you need to keep your batteries fully charged for a longer period of time, 2 days would be a good setting. That would ensure your batteries start discharging quickly if you fully charge them and then decide not to fly for some reason.

Is the Spark battery discharge option as low as 2 days ?

The Mavic is 5 days minimum, then each day as an option up to the default 10 days.

Is the Spark battery discharge option as low as 2 days ?

The Mavic is 5 days minimum, then each day as an option up to the default 10 days.
Where do I set this in the app? I can't seem to find it. Also what is the recommendation for the mavic?

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Where do I set this in the app? I can't seem to find it. Also what is the recommendation for the mavic?

As per Keules post above . . . I set mine for 5 days, no point having them on longer discharge from what I can see.
If I fly for at least an hour, I will just fly until 20 - 25% or so, bring it in and change to fresh battery, I'll then just leave that one until the night before going out again, or the morning of flight.

so how low is too low with regards to battery level when storing? Is it OK to store a battery at 20-25% charge after flying if you know you are not going to use it again for several weeks? Is 15% OK....at what point is it just as bad as storing it fully charged for prolonged periods???

Discharge by DJI is to about 50%, and I think very low (even when flying) is bad for these batteries anyway, certainly to less than 5% level regularly may reduce their life.
Storage ?
Don't think there is anything specific from what I've seen about minimum % for safe storage longer than the 10 days DJI has default for discharge.
I'd guess if you can have them between say 20% and 50% you probably be fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J