DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange sound at start up

mikedsm4

Reactions
Hi, my mavic is making a strange sound at startup which I am sure it hasn't made before. Maybe I am being paranoid but it would be great if anyone can confirm if theirs does the same. I have included a link to a YouTube video. Wasnt sure how to embed it into this post.

Firstly, when the Mavic starts up and plays it's startup tune, it plays two notes, then starts again and plays the 3 notes, so 5 notes in total (dah dah, slight pause then dah dah dah). Sometimes when I start the Mavic it only plays the 3 notes, dah dah dah, which is what I am sure it used to only play. It doesn't seem to be consistent. How many notes should it play / does it play on other people's mavic's?

Also at about 18 seconds into the video, after it finishes it's gimble startup procedure, there is a strange noise. It's like a double squeal, but a mechanical kind of squeal. Again I'm sure it never used to make that noise. It's a little hard to hear because my phone picked up the sonic sensors more than any other sound, but it is definitely audible.

It hasn't had any crashes, and is only about a month old and had a couple of flights.
If anyone could kindly let me know if their Mavic does the same that would be much appreciated.

Latest firmware changed the startup tones.

I've had gimbal vibration before once in a while.

when the Mavic starts up and plays it's startup tune, it plays two notes, then starts again and plays the 3 notes, so 5 notes in total (dah dah, slight pause then dah dah dah).
It always made the startup tone twice. Before the upgrade, the dupe sound was probably not as noticeable to many people since it was so faint. Regardless, you can ignore this difference.

at about 18 seconds into the video, after it finishes it's gimble startup procedure, there is a strange noise. It's like a double squeal, but a mechanical kind of squeal.
I hear this sound too. It's just the gimbal moving the camera into position.

Reactions: mikedsm4
Thanks for the reply. Personally I think it might be a glitch. I don't see why they would change the sound intentionally and the fact that it doesn't do it 100% of the time seems to indicate it's a fault in the code.
With regards to the other screeching sound it is making, it doesn't sound like a vibration to me, and it never used to make that sound but it is doing it every time I start up the device now. I'm not getting any errors though in the DJI Go 4 app. I did contact their customer support and they told me it's normal, but I'm not convinced. If everyone's makes that noise then fair enough. But if not then I need a reasonable explanation from DJI as to what that noise is and why it's 'normal' on mine but not on others.

Can you make a new video with your downward sensors disabled?

At the end I heard something that kind of went like this. Zzzz. Zzzzzz did that twice at the end like 2 little buzzing sounds. Is that what you mean and the ticking sound that is constant and the video is from the ultrasonic sensors underneath

I'll try and make another video when I get home tonight with the sonic sensors disabled. Didn't realise the microphone would pick them up so loud

Reactions: Slayerstwin
Hi Mike,

I also noticed i didnt have that sound before but now i do! ... sounds more like a sonar... produces it the 2 sensors next to the cameras in the bottom... it must be something normal for the landing positioning.. i guess

As of .0600, my Mavic's startup noise has returned to being consistent again, and the same as it was before the little beeps started playing out of order. (Firmware .500-.550, maybe .400 too, I can't recall exactly with that one.)

Sounds like mine on the startup tones and the zzz zzzz buzz from the gimbal. That said your ultrasonic sensor pulsing sounds extremely loud in that video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911