DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Lights Poll

Do you have a strobe light/s on your drone to help you with VLOS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted yes, but only use them for flights I deem they'll be handy . . .

When flying out to say 500m - 600m or so.
Skies that are overcast, bright sunny days, background that camouflages the drones grey colour, etc.

In reality, that is probably just about any situation out the that 1/2km or slightly more.

I use velcro mounted FHT Dual and ARCII, so weight, drag, size is negligible.

Reactions: Squidinc
I voted no because seeing the strobe does not count as VLOS. The strobe is there so manned aircraft are aware of you. The only thing that counts as VLOS is seeing the drone itself. That said, the strobe can make a big difference in watching for the flash even in the daylight. At night, the rule is very hard to follow if just seeing the flash does not count but we all do the best we can.

Reactions: Squidinc and dozzn
I use at least ONE strobe on every flight we make. Depending on the type/style of strobe, current light conditions, sky/background etc a strobe can help greatly but in certain conditions it helps very little. We treat it as "Standard Equipment" and fly with it ON always but that's a personal preference.

I have the Lume Cube strobe, and it definitely helps with VLOS especially on cloudy days. I did think it was a bit expensive for what it is, but it dose work really well.

Are strobe lights worth the investment to improve VLOS, or are they just another “nice to have” adding unnecessary weight to your drone?
I bought the STARTRC strobe (weighs only 6 grams) for my Mini 2 hoping it would improve my VLOS. Unfortunately there is only a slight improvement when the strobe is in white flashing mode. I lose sight at about 300 m which is far short of the 3 km as advertised. So as you say "nice to have" suits the bill as far as I am concerned!

Are strobe lights worth the investment to improve VLOS, or are they just another “nice to have” adding unnecessary weight to your drone?
Some say it does help extend to some degree - esp if you live in a nice flat area and few tress / obstacles in the line of sight.

Many get them for dusk / night flights to help you and other pilots see the drone in the air. The tiny marker lights are barely visible at night from a few hundred feet up and out.

The strobes adding weight only really matter if using on a Mini / Mini 2 where extra weight may take you over the 250g limit. Otherwise, the little bit on an Air2 or larger drone may lower a flight by a few seconds as most strobes are fairly lightweight.

I voted no because seeing the strobe does not count as VLOS. The strobe is there so manned aircraft are aware of you. The only thing that counts as VLOS is seeing the drone itself. That said, the strobe can make a big difference in watching for the flash even in the daylight. At night, the rule is very hard to follow if just seeing the flash does not count but we all do the best we can.
Can you provide the details on why a strobe is not considered part of the drone and thus not within VLOS - as others here that work with the FAA seem to have a different take on the subject.

Let me speak out of BOTH sides of my mouth for a moment . . . .

While YES a strobe is a huge plus in helping (hopefully) a Manned Aircraft seeing our UAS there is nothing stated by the FAA that "a strobe can not be used to increase Situational Awareness" or anything eliminating a strobe from helping VLOS.

While I'll go on record and say that, in regards to Part 107 you have to be able to quickly determine orientation, altitude, and direction of flight in order to have VLOS. If you use enough of them and in the right configuration strobes can "at least" enhance VLOS for a short distance but not if it's a tiny speck on the far horizon etc.

Reactions: tlswift58
Can you provide the details on why a strobe is not considered part of the drone and thus not within VLOS - as others here that work with the FAA seem to have a different take on the subject.
Sure. Part 5.9.3 for example, "A remote pilot cannot solely rely on the small unmanned aircraft's anti-collision lighting,..." 5.9.2 states "must maintain the capability to see the small unmanned aircraft". Look, I know you want to make the point that you can see the flashing light and feel you can see the drone because of that but the current purpose of VLOS is to see the detail of the UAS so you know what direction it may be headed in the event you need to make a move to avoid a collision. While a light can be an aide to help regain position awareness if you look away (at your control for example) if you cannot clearly see the drone you are not following the rule of VLOS.

That said, I'm not policing the situation here nor anywhere else. If I see you and there is no drone to be found I'm moving on and minding my business but since the question was asked, I answered it as correctly as I could. I feel like there will be a time when knowing its position on a map and having clear view from the camera will be enough. Too many people already do that without issue to say its not possible but that is not the point of what is VLOS as it stands currently.

Reactions: jspil
But it's definitely useful for reacquiring the drone if you've looked down for a few seconds to change a setting.

I wish DJI had an accessory USB port so lights (or extra cameras or anything else) could be activated from the controller. Seems like the existing USB port should allow it.

Reactions: FieldResearcher
But it's definitely useful for reacquiring the drone if you've looked down for a few seconds to change a setting.

I wish DJI had an accessory USB port so lights (or extra cameras or anything else) could be activated from the controller. Seems like the existing USB port should allow it.
Oh for sure, I agree with that.

I fly with four ARC V's day or night.

Red and green on the front arms. Two whites on the back.

It's neat to watch the drone rotate around when doing a sphere photo.

With the different color strobes, I can easily tell which way the aircraft is pointing. :)

Adding to my previous post, I don't use the strobe for VLOS alone. Like @thispilothere said it's more for acquiring the exact position of my drone in motion after looking down briefly. I find without the strobe especially on cloudy days, ascertaining the exact position to be difficult unless I never take my eyes off of it to say check battery percentage.

Reactions: FieldResearcher
I don't think that's right.

What's your theory for why seeing the strobe doesn't count as VLOS?

Thx,

TCS

I don't think that's right.

What's your theory for why seeing the strobe doesn't count as VLOS?

Thx,

TCS
My earlier post references the Part 107 sections that explain it. The strobe can be helpful for keeping tracking so you find it again after looking away but should not be the only thing you see in the distance. If you can see the flash two miles out can you really still see the drone? Not to be silly but you can see the sun from very far away but can you really see the sun, no. I'm not the FAA so I have nothing but an interpretation of the rule to go on.

Let me speak out of BOTH sides of my mouth for a moment . . . .

While YES a strobe is a huge plus in helping (hopefully) a Manned Aircraft seeing our UAS there is nothing stated by the FAA that "a strobe can not be used to increase Situational Awareness" or anything eliminating a strobe from helping VLOS.

While I'll go on record and say that, in regards to Part 107 you have to be able to quickly determine orientation, altitude, and direction of flight in order to have VLOS. If you use enough of them and in the right configuration strobes can "at least" enhance VLOS for a short distance but not if it's a tiny speck on the far horizon etc.
Great clarification @BigAl07. Maybe take it a small bit further than just for Part 107, but that should include ALL drone pilots. As we are expected to be in total control of our acft at all times; whether that be a rec or 107 pilot.

I "personally" think strobes can / will help with VLOS (short range) and keeping the drone viewable, but going for a distance expectation is not what I'd expect; as Al stated above in regards to situational awareness.

My earlier post references the Part 107 sections that explain it. The strobe can be helpful for keeping tracking so you find it again after looking away but should not be the only thing you see in the distance. If you can see the flash two miles out can you really still see the drone? Not to be silly but you can see the sun from very far away but can you really see the sun, no. I'm not the FAA so I have nothing but an interpretation of the rule to go on.
As do most of us!

I never get much farther than 1000 ft away, so a 2-mile issue is, in practice, moot for me.

Thx,

TCS

As I suspected, but it's always nice to get confirmation from a Higher Wisdom!

Thanks, BigAl07!

:)

TCS

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark