DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Sunrise over the Statue of Liberty

Very nice!

Absolutely incredible coverage and color. Just beautiful. I’ve honestly never seen footage life this. Stunning. I hope you enter it in some competitions. Miss Liberty would be proud.

Great videos and pics!
Where was your home point?
My question is did you have or need a permit on laanc?
Took off from Jersey side outside Liberty State Park. You can’t take off and land from a State Park in NJ. So you have to be outside the park.

Airspace is a lot easier than finding a place to take off and land. No LAANC was needed. Newark International airspace starts at 500ft in that location. You also can’t fly over the island. It is a National Park and is geofenced by DJI.

You have to watch for low-flying helicopters giving tours. But that was why I got there at 6am. Most of the tours start later in the morning. I would not fly there after about 8am.

Reactions: RandyV and BigAl07
My question is did you have or need a permit on laanc?
I was wondering the same thing. When I look at the whole area on B4UFly, the entire Hudson River from the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge and all the way north to Yonkers shows as restriction operations.

I was wondering the same thing. When I look at the whole area on B4UFly, the entire Hudson River from the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge and all the way north to Yonkers shows as restriction operations.
Yeah, the Hudson Exclusion Zone. I spent a bit of time researching this. it is not that flights are excluded but that there are special rules. I read through the Part 93 regs and there is a distinguishment between local operations (helicopter tours) and transient flights (fixed-wing flying up or down river). Let's just say it is not written for drones. The only regulation that drones cannot fulfill is self-reporting at the vfr check points. While the exclusion zone is surface up to the controlled airspace, regs are written for flights above 1000ft. It is so unclear when it comes to drones. B4ufly shows it as a restricted area. But Opensky and Airmap (before it lost its approval as LAANC provider) did not show it as restricted.

Took off from Jersey side outside Liberty State Park. You can’t take off and land from a State Park in NJ. So you have to be outside the park.

Airspace is a lot easier than finding a place to take off and land. No LAANC was needed. Newark International airspace starts at 500ft in that location. You also can’t fly over the island. It is a National Park and is geofenced by DJI.

You have to watch for low-flying helicopters giving tours. But that was why I got there at 6am. Most of the tours start later in the morning. I would not fly there after about 8am.
Wow I commend an attentively thought out flight plan. So early that you avoided issues. Well played, well played!

Truth told...at times, I almost mistook it as fake, it was so enjoyable.
- no joke.
- hard to believe the beauty I'm ignorant to, that exists.

- WELL DONE!!

Reactions: BigAl07
Wow, the video was stunning. The parallax of the statue with the NYC skyline in the background is just sooooo cool! How were you able to fly there? I'm surprised that's not a restricted zone.
I was thinking the same thing....

Wow, the video was stunning. The parallax of the statue with the NYC skyline in the background is just sooooo cool! How were you able to fly there? I'm surprised that's not a restricted zone.
I was thinking the same thing....

Very well done. Gimbals are the key. Made your video look like Hollywood did it.

Reactions: dronertv

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying