DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunshades

MavicKhan

Reactions
Anyone knows if those cut out and painted-in-black modified gimbal covers we've seen on DiY videos (...or just plain matte black plastic ones with the slot made from scratch...) are available anywhere?

I really need at least one and would prefer to acquire it at reasonable price as I am terrible at DiY projects.

I came to the conclusion that the gimbal does not handle well side air loads from left/right movements so one of these would serve a dual purpose: Block stray light into the lens from certain angles and protect the gimbal from said loads.

If you know someone who is doing these in bulk, please advise.

...by the way, as I predicted, my gimbal cover did not last long. I didn't lost it, as I expected, though. It just broke the securing plastic tab, at the rear. I now have 2 replacements on the way and can only but hope that, in the future, someone comes up with these cheaper than the whopping 12-15 EUR they cost, at the moment.

Another item bound to get lost (...at least with me...) is the gimbal securing plastic piece and, these, I can't seem to find anywhere. There are modified ones but not the original-shape version, it seems.

Did you guys find any already?

Thanks.

On thingverse site, you can order it 3D printed and sent to you, or download the file and get someone with a 3D printer to print one for you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app

There are some Mavic lens hoods available that aren't 3D printed. They should be a lot sturdier than the 3D printed versions. If interested, here are a few:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

I've been looking/thinking of getting one of these but after seeing the fragility of one of the 3D printed ones, made me a bit hesitant to order. This is very helpful!

There are some Mavic lens hoods available that aren't 3D printed. They should be a lot sturdier than the 3D printed versions. If interested, here are a few:

Reactions: Colibrí
I just received the 3D printed version from f/stop labs and the quality was great (you can barely tell it's 3D printed but still not as pretty as the picture). With that being said the taco-rc sunshade does look like the bubble may be a bit larger and possibly do a better job at blocking the sun but doesn't look like it will work with the silicone dome protector. Therefore you may have to carry around a second dome to protect the gimbal when in a soft bag.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If those are supposed to be stronger than the 3D prints then the print's must be made of tissue paper

Here's an rc taco molded sunhood, didn't even get clipped on before it broke, what a joke.

Attachments

• mavic hood 2.jpg
    mavic hood 2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
  • mavic hood.jpg
    mavic hood.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 51
I'm in a remote area of South Africa at the moment and I had some serious sun issues, not that I'm complaining.

Don't laugh, but I made a sunshade from a cardboard biscuit box that I hang around my neck. Works perfectly for now. I will definitely get a proper one when I get back to the UK. 20170209_073652.jpg IMG-20170209-WA0000.jpg

I actually like that idea. I recently flew with a jacket draped over my controller, phone and head. Worked like champ but I looked like a fool.

They do aid in blocking the sun and getting sun flare which can be substantial even with filters... and maybe more importantly it adds protection for the gimbal in case of a hard landing... it could make the difference between no damage and a repair.

Are these hoods even worth it? what if you have Filters would it matter?
I haven't used one yet, so I cannot speak from experience. Here's an interesting review I recently saw:

Your mileage might vary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31